“Great for dog owners and family.”
Review of The Druie

The Druie
Ranked #14 of 64 Restaurants in Aviemore
Price range: US$6 - US$38
Cuisines: Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Druie takes its name from the burn(river) that rushes behind the restaurant and always seems in a hurry to carry clear, sparkling mountain water from the Cairngorms to the River Spey. We are open daily 9.30am - 5.00pm for locally roasted coffee, locally sourced tasty lunches,leaf teas and delicious homemade cakes, with a focus on dishes prepared from lovingly home produced beef from our pedigree herd of Highland cattle,our velvety venison from the ancient forest of Rothiemurchus and seasonal produce from specialist producers, served in a relaxed, friendly environment. Whilst enjoying your coffee or lunch at the Druie, you can enjoy the exhibition of local artwork which changes each month, especially selected by Ellie, who manages the Gallery at Loch an Eilein and is also a member of Creative Cairngorms.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Outside seating available. Good menu choices at a fair price. Friendly, efficient service. this place is always busy. easy to see why.

1  Thank seashell51
Rothiescot, General Manager at The Druie, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thanks you for this, we have had our busiest year and it is important to us that every guests has an outstanding experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed the Druie and I hope that you will return when you next visit Aviemore.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Today I was lucky enough to find an outside table in the shade, so I went inside to order.

The waitress (who I am assuming was a supervisor because she wasn't wearing the usual uniform and seemed to be calling the shots) asked me "Are you sitting outside, are you on your own?", I replied that I was and was asked "Would you share your table?". I explained that I needed to make a phone call but was polite and apologetic. This was greeted with an "Oh right.. okay", followed by a shrug to someone behind me, all nicely rounded off by a "this lady has left her bike outside but I suppose she will have to sit inside" (the whole conversation carrying a serious tone resembling an order rather than a question)

If I didn't know how good the food is, this uncomfortable experience would have put me off ordering all together. I had my lunch and it was beautiful, however I felt guilty for wanting some alone time and angry for the unprofessionalism of someone who appeared to be management.

I worked front of house in a busy establishment for 6 years and fully understand the demanding nature of lots of customers and few tables. I also do NOT normally mind sharing a table, but on this occasion it did not suit my situation and I was made to feel guilty for eating alone.

I can not stress enough how tasty my fresh beef burger, home-made wedges and salad was, and would like to say thank you from one chef to another. Also, the young lady in uniform who was working front of house was extremely professional and thankfully does not take after her colleague.

2  Thank HollowLegs376

The Druie team are both disappointed and delighted having read your review and we are very sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable during your recent visit to our cafe restaurant. If a member of staff was not wearing uniform they were new or on trial, and we must be especially careful that they receive better induction and ongoing training. The staff team are absolutely committed to outstanding customer service, sometimes a member of staff just does not get it right, they are usually aware of this and we must help them to apologise.

We all work extremely hard trying to please all our customers and as you quite rightly pointed out to find a table outside in the shade is lucky. During busy periods we do on occasion ask small parties if they would mind sharing a table, but we certainly would never force you and it certainly would not of been our intention to make you feel uncomfortable - at most we may offer to seat another couple as this helps us to seat and look after everyone quickly. We would never force anyone to share a table but have a number of regular single customers who actively ask us to offer the table to other single people.

We are all delighted that you enjoyed our 100% home produced and home made Rothiemurchus Highland Beef burger and potato wedges.

I really look forward to welcoming you back to the Druie in the near future.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Dropped in for a quick coffee and couldn't resist one of the fantastic looking cakes (I had their chocbit slice which was ace) lovely decor/environment and their mocha was AMAZEBALLS - really nice coffee topped with a chocolate drizzle and crumbled flake, best mocha I've had in Scotland so far. Not the cheapest and not dog friendly (at least inside) but the coffee and cakes are definitely recommended.

1  Thank Chris16bit
Rothiescot, Manager at The Druie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

We are delighted that you enjoyed the Druie so much, thank you for taking the trouble to tell us. The coffee beans are specially roasted in Perth and our team take so much care and pride in making them into the best coffee possible. One customer wrote to us that it was 'the best coffee in the universe' but we are not sure that's correct.

We do welcome dogs outside, you can sit under the awning if it is wet or too hot, there's a bowl of water and the staff serve you at the table so you don't have to leave the dogs. So glad you enjoyed the marshmallow and as a bonus its gluten free! Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

The Druie is lovely. It's small and quaint but not overcrowded in seating.

The selection of cakes are lovely, the home made soup is delicious and the time and effort put into making the design on top of the coffee just shows the pride the staff have in their work.

Hopefully visit for dinner next time I'm in Aviemore

1  Thank Liam H
Rothiescot, Manager at The Druie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you very much for this recommending the Druie. We have a small committed team who are grateful for you appreciation. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had cappuccinos and a selection of their cakes and slices.Delicious but I don't think low calorie.
Not far out of Aviemore and definitely recommended place to stop.

1  Thank drron
Rothiescot, Manager at The Druie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this - low calorie cakes are not our speciality. The staff aim to make the best coffee, cakes and scones and we look forward to seeing you again soon to enjoy them.