“How things used to be”
Review of Papa Rock Restaurant - CLOSED

Papa Rock Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dunbar, United Kingdom
“How things used to be”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on the way north and what a change to see things as they used to be. Sign says no wifi try talking to each other and what a joy to see a busy restaurant alive to people talking to each other rather than checking in or messaging someone. Surroundings are a throw back to the 80s with LPs, musical instruments and bikes dotted about the place with great background music you can easily talk over. We both had the Scottish High Tea and for £11.45 is a Bargain, huge portions, toast, tea or coffee and home bakes. To the people who complain about the slow service I'd say this is because the food is cooked fresh and not reheated in a microwave so does take longer. My wife loved the Cajun chicken and was amazed it wasn't just the usual standards on the high tea menu. Will definitely be back.

Visited August 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Try somewhere else!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Service sucks, food is standard. Nothing special with the ambiance. Servicers were rude and not helpful at all. We asked for wifi and the only answer was 'No!' in a very disturbing way. They asked us to order a meal for each of us. As I wasn't hungry it wasn't logical but since we were already sitting, we didnt want to leave so I ordered soup. Its taste was ok but not superior. I will not go again!!

3 Thank Aysem Z
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Service needs improvement. Customer service can make a difference.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

After visiting previously we went again. Whilst the meal was lovely the portions are large and the starter selection is not great for vegetarians. My husband got a pint or draught Budweiser he wasn't happy with and after pointing this out (which involved me taking the remainder of the pint to the bar as I had tried in vain to attract the attention of the waiting staff) and the fact the glass was marked. I was told that's what happens when the glasses go through the dishwasher. Only the cost of the drink was removed from our bill and the service was really slow.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lilac-Princess
London, United Kingdom
“Family friendly”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Great place for families, kids positively encouraged to be loud. Service is a bit slow making sure that they get plenty of drinks orders out of you before the food arrives. Food is good when you finally get it.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“better going to subway”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stopped in for a light bite on the way to Inverness. Aviemore is like a lot of places in Scotland still living in the 70's, most restaurants will serve until 2pm then you have to wait until the kitchen reopens at 5 pm. Papa Rock was still open so in we went. The food is not the best by any stretch of the imagination, the portions are large and edible. I will say that I thought it was a bit pricey for what we got. However, every time I have been in Aviemore I have been ripped off to some degree, this time was no different.

• Visited August 2014