“Very disappointing experience all~in~all.”

Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We had planned to stay 2 nights here with our young children (aged 3 and 1) having heard good things about it from friends. However, the standard of accommodation was so bad, we left after the first night. We had a family suite on the first floor which was very cramped and unbearably hot (even thoUgh the temp outside was not). Upon opening the windows to let in some much~needed air, it became apparent that we would have to endure the roar of some massive industrial~type fan that was right outside our room. This was a room we were paying 200 quid for per night and it had to rate as one of the worst hotel rooms I've ever been in. For the record, the staff were fairly pleasant and the pool was OK but generally, I found the whole experience just put me off ever giving my money to the Hilton hotel chain again.

• Stayed: July 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (3,100)

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Booked a 3 night stay for myself and 2 children after many recommendation from friends. My 2 children are 3 & 5 and so felt there was plenty of activities avaliable for them if the weather was bad. We got a ' family room' were you wouldn't be able to swing a cat. The bathroom was full of tiles that were cracked.
There was a bizarre booking service for the restaurants which meant you could book where you were eating each night of your stay, this meant that after checking in at 2:30, everywhere was booked up till half 8. I will say that the food was really good and they made food specifically for my son who has many food intolerances.
Personally I don't think I would return unless I heard that there had been a massive upgrade, I felt it was all slightly dated and now traded on its name

Reviewed 9 August 2012

This is my sixth or seventh visit in as many years and there has been some periods where the place has let us down. Generally, i have found the facilities a little dated in the past and the food pretty erratic in terms of quality. However, it was good to see the improvements to the dining area....i hope it spreads to the rooms very soon... although our room (a family suite) was well laid out and clean. The quality of the evening meals and breakfast is also vastly improved on previous visits. One final point.... echoing previous reviews, this is a favourite spot for family stays.... this doesn't make the hotel a no go area for others - i have stayed there quite happily as a couple, but you will encounter lots of children..... and that is not everyone's cup of tea.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Stayed here with my hubby and 2 teenage sons. It was a lovely and bright hotel, we stayed in a family suite with the separate room for the boys. They were probably a bit on the large side for the bunks but they did fine...
There are no lifts in the hotel so we were up 2 flights of stairs with big cases which was no bother for us but could cause a problem for some people so it would be worth checking which floor you are on if you dont want to lug your case upstairs.
Ate in the bistro which was lovely and in the foyer which was also lovely.
Did have the pizza pasta in the dinning room one night and it was fabulous...so much choices and not just pizza for the kids. I had herb crusted sea bass...delicious...well worth a try.
The swimming pool is fine but he kids do have to be over 16 to go in themselves.. Definately a lovely place to stay ideally with young children...have been to aviemore on numerous occasions and it is great place for a fun holiday so would stay here again.....

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We came to the Hilton Coylumbridge for the second time last week having thoroughly enjoyed our visit with our 8 year old daughter last year. This time we brought our mum and dad as well and they had a lovely time too. The rooms are bright and clean with all you would expect from this calibre of hotel and we loved the facilities and the friendly staff. The restaurant has been revamped since our last visit with much better seating areas and the breakfast buffet was 100% improved also. My mum and dad both went swimming for what must have been the first time in 20 or 30 years. I'd come here every year if funds allowed.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Definitely a family hotel. Therefore it was loud and especially at the buffets very crowded. The pool was not clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room was ok, clean, but also very loud (dued to children and loud tv`s next door). Quality of food was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Let me start by saying I've put it down for 3 stars but we had a great weekend away and really like Aviemore. Lots of things for the family to do about the place and the hotel itself has some great facilities.

2 Adults and a toddler we got the family suite at $260/night. It was clean but dated (although the TVs had been updated). The bathroom is very narrow but clean. Rooms themselves quite small. I would have rated it as being about a 3-4 star room. No elevator going to the floors in the wing we were in. The hotel staff bring your bags to your room so the stairs are not a big problem.he hotel staff bring your bags to your room so the stairs are not a big problem.

The hotel charges 15 pounds a day for wifi which is very slow. I found that a little annoying in a paid service. The pay TV didn't operate for the duration of our stay and while we called nobody got back to us to help. I wouldn't expect too much from the views although there might be some rooms that are better than our rooftop vista.

The kids facilities outside and inside are great and our daughter loved them. We didn't get to try the pool but it looked pretty good.

Nice breakfasts in the main restaurant with a good selection. It was very busy when we were there but the staff were friendly and efficient and kept it moving nicely.

The room service was mixed, I got a great steak but my wife didn't especially like her meatballs.

We loved Aviemore and will go again, at this price / value I suspect we will try other options about the place (maybe even stay at Rocpool in Inverness, its cheaper for a spectacular room and only and hours drive after all). We liked the hotel. Just prefer a better price.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aviemore
The Boat Hotel
#1 of 3 in Carrbridge
Nethybridge Hotel
Nethybridge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Nethy Bridge

Been to Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel? Share your experiences!