I had been looking forward to staying here for years, had always stayed at the Macdonald resort but decided we would treat ourselves at Christmas and try the Hilton. We stayed the weekend of the 10th January, on a D, B&B apparent deal in a "deluxe" room and after travelling the world and staying in a enormous variety of accommodations, we were extremely disappointed to say the least.
I had checked trip advisor out before going and truthfully felt the posts complaining about the run down rooms with the damp and broken- looking skirting boards were maybe a bit fussy, but actually when we arrived it's one of the first things you notice!
The staff were all very polite and helpful, no issues here whatsoever, just the hotel.
The quilt covers had mascara stains on the top, the skirtings were damaged right round the room, the bed springs were poking right through the mattress and there was no softness or depth to the mattress at all! I had requested non- feather bedding due to asthma and had to strip the bed and ring requesting different bedding. The gentleman arrived quite promptly with this and and very kindly to be fair to the staff again.
The walls were so thin you could actually hear someone urinating next door-lovely!
We were obviously on the level where dogs are allowed and smoking permitted, and I am a dog lover who would've loved to have brought my dog but chose not to as expected to get a bit of a better room if its not dog friendly.
The room was like a box! I rang reception on our arrival to advise we were in the wrong room, we had booked a deluxe room...to be told this WAS the "deluxe" room! We are not at all fussy, having stayed in seriously rundown inns and motels/hostels in USA, Canada and Australasia, but to be told you're staying in a deluxe hilton room and to arrive to that...not good enough at all! Especially when the cost was £240, reasonable when you think its a deluxe room but a complete rip off for this hotel. We have stayed in various hiltons around the world, most recently in June in Mississippi, and the standard was impeccable!
The spa facilities at Aviemore were disgraceful- completely agree with previous posts here about how run down it is. The sauna was out of order, the jacuzzi was part of the cool pool, nothing really separated them and generally it was just in need of a good clean and revamp!
The meal we had on the first night was in the main restaurant and really disappointing, so the next day we asked to eat in the bar and thoroughly enjoyed it-yum! Again, can't fault the service and the food was delicious, proper nice bar grub and a great breakfast.
The WOODSHED bar next door is really worth a visit, really laid back and great staff!
On the whole, this hotel was extremely disappointing and we won't be rushing back for sure.
Since speaking to people on our return it appears there's 2 different ends to this hotel, the newer part and then where we were.
Tip: request a room to the left of reception desk when you arrive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hilton Coylumbridge resort hotel is set in a 65 acre woodland estate in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. It is located close to Aviemore and is a perfect holiday destination all year round. The resort includes five restaurants and two bars including the Woodshed Bar with its roaring log fire and the American Diner sure to please the kids. The resort also includes indoor swimming pools, outdoor tennis courts, play park, spa, outdoor activity park and The Fun House for the little ones. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Coylumbridge - Aviemore Hotel Aviemore
- Hilton International Aviemore
- Aviemore Coylumbridge Hotel
- Hilton Aviemore
- Aviemore Hilton
- Aviemore Coylumbridge Hilton Hotel
- Hilton Coylumbridge Hotel Aviemore, Scotland