“Giant burger of doom!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Giant burger of doom!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stopped here for lunch while in Aviemore. I ordered the super panther burger and it was huge. Could not fit it in my mouth! This was not delicate exquisite cuisine this was fattening yummy food and was a very good choice at 11 pounds. The waitress was also very nice, friendly and helpful.

• Visited August 2014

“oh dear, not good”
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

The very varied reviews here suggests that your experience depends on whose shift you are a customer on. We also got a friendly bar girl but the food was very bland and lazy (e.g. olives must have just been tipped out of a jar, and nachos had no tomato salsa on only cheese). Our party, 2 adults 2 teenagers, just couldn't be bothered to keep eating and went to Tescos for fill-up food. Toilets are pretty awful. I think this unit has changed hands a lot over the years - and you get the feeling there ain't much love for the place.

“More OK than Super”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

There's a decent menu and drinks choice in this relaxed venue. The staff are OK and the food is OK quality, but nothing more. It could be so much better. Opening earlier would be a good start.

1 Thank Bankf
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Great sandwiches and real ale”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Had two lunches here this week. In each case I had a generous tasty sandwich accompanied by the excellent house ale brewed by Cromarty Brewery. Super service from the very capable South African waitress.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Unhappy customer.. twice over”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I have never posted a bad review anywhere, and I still almost feel a little guilty for the next few sentences.... But I've worked in bars and restaurants, as a waitress and assistant manager, and I am of course a customer everywhere I go :) And I know enough to acknowledge very sad and disappointed feelings because of the service received in Super Panther two days in a row now.

I am staying in Aviemore for a few days by myself, to indulge in some cycling and walking to pass by my 6-week summer holiday from work. I know Aviemore well, and I was looking for somewhere low-key to have a drink and a snack. Enter: Super Panther.

It seemed great - friendly, welcoming staff, great selection of drinks and food, and a quiet corner to sit and enjoy it all whilst torrential rain poured down around everyone outside.

After waiting a while for a menu, I ordered a G&T, Cullen Skink and a portion of potato wedges. The Gin arrived with soda, but that was swiftly rectified without a fuss. The food arrived in a timely manner, and the staff were still being very friendly and attentive. As my drink disappeared, I waited for the usual upsell.... but it was getting busy around me and there was a real staff shortage as more customers came in. No worries, I've been there and I'm a very patient customer. I could always forgo the second G&T for a cup of tea and dessert. I waited 40 minutes with empty plates (and an emptier glass) in front of me. There was only so much phone-faffing I could put myself through. So many times I noticed one member of staff just wandering vacantly around, unsure of what to do. Eventually, I gave up and went to pay at the bar. I had walked for 4 hours in the rain, got mauled by midgies, and now my evening had ended on a low.

So, naturally, I went back for more the next day! (I'm a great believer in second chances. Plus, the staff were clearly just run off their feet the first time. Surely the same thing couldn't happen again?...)

Well, I'm going to cut a long story short. It did. I only waited 30 minutes post-meal this time. I'd cycled for 4 1/2 hours, my midgie bites were flaring up and I really wanted that cuppa and a pud (or even just an offer of another drink). I was so disappointed. Again. For the second night in a row, I went to the garage, grabbed a Costa coffee and a bar of chocolate and went back to my accommodation feeling deflated.

These guys are running around like headless chicken in this cafe/restaurant/bar (I can't tell what exactly) and I hope they soon realise that service doesn't end once you slam the meal (or cake) down in front of the customer. I can forgive a place being short on staff, but please don't ignore me. Especially when I was willing to spend more money.

P.S. Food is fine. Bit bland, but reasonable enough :)

• Visited August 2014