“Cottage Pie and Coffee”

Spey Valley Carvery
Ranked #46 of 64 Restaurants in Aviemore
Cuisines: Cafe
Description: Located in the heart of the four-star Macdonald Aviemore Resort and next to Spey Valley Shopping and our cinema there is Spey Valley Food Court. Open daily from 12pm-3pm this large bright dining area offers informal lunchtime dining perfect for families or groups enjoying a day out in the Cairngorms or a refuelling break after a shopping spree. Typical lunch menu on weekdays includes a range of traditional hot meals, jacket potatoes, sandwiches, soup and a large salad bar. Every Saturday and Sunday the food court offers a full carvery from 12pm-3pm.
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

A quick trip through Aviemore so stopped in to get some lunch and coffee. Had an amazing Cottage Pie and finished off with chocolate mousse and jelly. Will never stop loving this place.

General M, General Manager at Spey Valley Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely review, The kitchen team here at Spey Valley Carvery work hard to provide quality dishes to our clients, I will pass on your comments to our team, who are always happy to receive feedback from our tripadvisor reviews. Once again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future

The General manager

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Took my friend out for lunch here, great selection of Dishes.Great Place to ciome before going to the cinema in the afternoon. The staff were nice and welcoming. Will be returning again for lunch in the near future.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, we here at Spey valley Carvery are very proud of the success of our lunch promotions, All of the team works together to make all of our customers enjoy their experience with us.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

we went to the avimoe macdonald restaurant on the sunday we were staying at the local caravan site and passed this huge sign saying carvery buy one get one free which we thought sounded rather too good to be true but we went in and enquired the day before and was told yes it was true we then had to ask if we needed to book and was told no We understand why now ,anyway the huge notice outside on the road said traditional sunday roast with a picture of a huge lovely looking joint of pork or beef with yorkshire puddings underneath it so we thought wow looks good how ever when we went to the help your self counter to see what the traditional Scottish sunday roast was we were met by a chef who said its a bacon joint nearly fell over laughing im nearly 61 years old and have never had a bacon joint for sunday roast in my life and have never been offered it at any carvery we have been to which is quite alot they had mislead a lot of people with there advertisement as you will see as i took picture of sign if you are contemplating eating there have a look first its not all it seems we were conned along with alot of other people come on get a grip even i could have made a better carvery roast than that my advice eat else where plenty of good hotels and restaurants in avimore

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, Sorry to see thay you felt you need to post your review twice . I was sorry to hear about your experience with us, and I can only apologise for the missunderstanding and the way your order was taken at the time of your visit, , and I would like to send my heartfelt apologies if this was not made clear to you by the member of staff whilst taking your order. We do advertise carvery 7 days a week and not sunday roast only. So I will ensure that the matter of your concern is dealt with

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Was staying the weekend in Aviemore, not here thankfully, but on walking up to the resort, saw a huge billboard, advertising the Atrium Restaurant, which were doing a special offer, on a 'Traditional Roast Carvery'. Brilliant, we thought, as the offer was buy one and get the other one free. On the sign there was a picture of a huge roast joint of beef or pork, with fluffy yorkshire puddings at the side. Great, we thought, so popped into the restaurant and confirmed with the supervisor, that this was indeed the deal, and it would be available on Sunday, and told us there was no need to book. Excellent, we said, and went away, looking forward to this feast. Sunday morning, had a wander around this lovely area, skipping a large breakfast, in anticipation of our 'Traditional Roast Carvery'. As this offer was only available from 12pm till 12.30pm, we arrived at 11.45am and thought we would have a drink in the bar. The barmaid said 'will be back in a minute', and that was the very last we saw of her!!! While my husband was standing at an empty bar, I had a look at the drinks list, to see what wine was available, Well, I was so glad I did, as the prices were RIDICULOUS !! A glass of rose' was between £7.50 and £8.00 ! WHAT!!!!and a can of coke was £2.85. So, as there was no-one there anyway, thought we might skip this. The 'CARVERY' opened at 12.00pm and we went up to the counter, wondering where it was??? The chef appeared from through the back, with a big carving knife, still confused, we asked him what there was?? 'This is it' he said, and pointed to a joint of BACON !!!!!!!! and a jug of gravy?? and some mashed potato, roast potato and carrots and red cabbage, completely free of garnish or indeed flavour !! I pointed out that I had bacon for breakfast and didnt want it again, so he said, well you can have that then, and pointed to a dish of lasagne, curried vegetables or sweet and sour something !! I would have walked out at this point, but my husband was starving, so went along with it, and had the lasagne and roast potato, Dry and tastless, as expected. My husand went for the bacon, also tastless along with everything on his plate. He THEN asked me why I hadnt walked out !!! I complained to the supervisor, who didnt really care, as she was busy putting our money in her till. !!! I dont know in what country this is a 'Traditional Roast' but it certainly isnt Scotland, as we have a sunday roast every week and I have never had BACON !!! The fact that there was only 3 couples having lunch sort of explained a lot. The big advertising board at the bottom of the road, was a total mis-representation of what was ACTUALLY on offer. We were furious, as we could have gone to a proper restaurant in the village, and had an ACTUAL roast dinner cooked properly. There are many lovely places to eat in Aviemore, but this is NOT one of them. Sort of spoiled our weekend away, as we spent a long time looking forward to a Sunday roast that we havnt had to cook ourselves. It is about time the Macdonald Resort got a grip, and stopped treating their customers with the indifference that they do, they are not THAT exclusive, like they think they are, people can go elsewhere, and we certainly will in future !!!

2  Thank cavaqueen11

Thank you for your review, I was sorry to hear about your experience with us, and I can only apologise for the missunderstanding and the way your order was taken at the time of your visit, , and I would like to send my heartfelt apologies if this was not made clear to you by the member of staff whilst taking your order. We do advertise carvery 7 days a week and not sunday roast only. All of our fresh ingredients are delivered daily, to ensure quality of produce, and are prepared to order by our team of chefs. We here at Spey Valley Carvery work hard as a team to bring the freshest of ingredients to our customer, So I will ensure that the matter of your concern is dealt with through on going staff training both within our front and back of house.Our Wine prices start from £4.95 and the can of coke is £1.10

The Genaral Manager

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Great breakfast and lunch with great costs coffee. Servers were great and place extremely clean and welcoming.

MacdonaldAviemore, General Manager at Spey Valley Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, I will pass them on to our chefs who are always pleased to hear of customer feedback, All of the produce we use is delivered fresh daily, and we only use locally sourced meat. This enables us to provide a quality product to our customers. We here at Spey Valley Carvery work hard on a daily basis to provide the best food and service, so to receive comments like yours are very welcome, and help to promote what we are trying to achieve here at Spey Valley Carvery