Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Walk in to the rundown lobby off or hotel, then the room clean ok beds, good linens , bathroom awfull bath panel hanging off tiles !!! No words , tv was from 1980 too much furniture , kept banging into console with huge tv every time I was passing my bed .
They advertise highland breakfast , but no potato scone, no black pudding, sausages were anemic
The kids facilities were excellent but , start too late in the morning and close to early in the day after 6 pm nothing to do and the room is not styled to relax in you can not see tv from the sofa ,
On the last day was my sons birthday , I supplied a ballon his favorite cereal and asked for it to be brought to our room at 7.45 , I was to pay a fee ! I agreed , at 8.30 I had too phone and ask where it was (ruined the surprise) they brought it with no bowl or spoon ? For the cereal , later in the day I had a cake in and ask for it to be brought out , which they do , but throw the box away ? So that was wasted.
No jacuzzi !!! Broken for 3 months, the changing area was full off puddles and people with shoes walk through making it dirty water, then you come out off pool/shower and have to walk through dirty puddles, not nice
So As I Say Could do better
Proper highland breakfast
Longer hours for childrens activities
And train staff in customer service better
Update the acadamy hotel ,

Good points, great childrens activities when open, good resteraunt choice, friendly staff, great spa and reasonable,

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank jouls75
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with you recent stay with us. Here at the resort we always strive for the best possible guest service and we take it seriously when guest do not feel that this was the case.
I apologise our miscommunication leading to the confusion regarding your sons birthday surprise – the incident has been passed on to the relevant department for further investigation.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the kids activities available on site and had pleasant restaurant experiences. The resort is continuously being invested into which will allow us to always provide the best possible guest service.
If you do feel you want to discuss your disappointment with us on a more private level – please do not hesitate to get in contact with us directly.
We hope to welcome you back again.
The General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Glasgow
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

If you have any special needs re mobility do not expect to get what you have ordered or paid for. After phoning and stating on my booking form that I needed a twin room with a walk in shower for my 80 year old parents. We got a shower over a bath. After contacting reception and waiting over 1 hour and having to contact again we were told there were no twin rooms with a walk in shower available in the entire complex. We were offered a move from 3 star to 4 star but could only offer a double with walk in shower or a twin with a bath. We were asked if my parents could use our walk in shower if they were close enough to us until a room became available (day 3 of our 4 day trip). As we had no other option we agreed. They sent 1 member of staff to help move our luggage for 4 people. When we got to our rooms they were in two seperate parts of the building and too far for my parents to go between the rooms. As it was the hottest July in years it was diabolical that that could not shower in comfort. We were asked would it not be possible for them to shower at the pool! My father had stomach cancer this year and the trip was a treat for him after everything he has been through. In our room the cleaning staff must have left the radiator in the bathroom on(why given the temperature outside) after getting up in the middle of the night I sustained a serious burn to my leg as the radiator is so close to the toilet and I didn't expect it to be on.
After so many complaints to the staff at reception during our stay and 3 room moves for my parents they were not interested and could not give me resolve before leaving. I was offered £40 out of a bill for our stay of £800 for our inconvenience. After numerous letters to the complex we were offered a discount of 30% off another stay within a year. No chance would we be going back! They think because they moved us from 4 star to 3 star that this compensates us. Had to pay for wifi in 4 free in 3 and bar prices so much more expensive.

Do not go near this hotel if you want good customer service as they obviously can't deliver this (apart from the guy cooking the eggs at breakfast who was a delight).

We go at least 3 times a year to aviemore and stayed in b&bs, chalets and self catering. Been back since but would not give this hotel my money or time of day.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Suge

Travellers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

oakley
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were staying at the resort with our daughter for 3 nights the breakfast was lovely and plenty to choose from,our room was very clean but the drinks were a bit pricey we ordered a pint of lager,vodka and diet coke also a soft drink for our daughter it was £15 so take plenty spending money with you

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your resort experience with us.
I am happy that you enjoyed the room and found the resort accommodating. Thank you for your kind words regarding the breakfast we offer - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed it.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This resort hotel located in a very nice area in Aviemore. Surrounding area is quiet. Rooms are spacious, clean and tidy. Staff are courteous. We had a pretty good dinner in its restaurant. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the resort accommodating and enjoyed the area.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Dumbarton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

First thing I want to say is that the five stars (dots, whatever) are given in the context that this is an AA 4* hotel, however, the pricing reflects that, I think. My family (my wife plus two girls, 5 y.o. and 3 y.o.) stayed 14th Oct 13 to 18th Oct and we had a whale of a time. We stayed in a lodge which was outstanding. Loads of room for two families if you wanted and the wood burning stove added to the feeling of being remote and secluded but the facilities were 2 minutes walk away. Staff were very friendly and accommodating wherever we went, but particularly in the Aspects restaurant where we were out of earshot of couples/less noisy families who wanted peace without us feeling like we were shunted into the corner. The food there is outstanding. Breakfast was similar quality and the sort of place you want hang about and enjoy. Loads to do locally, particularly Landmark and Rothiemurchus facilities so a great place to base yourself. Many Thanks to all who looked after us, we can't wait to come back!

NB Nowhere is perfect! (if it is it must cost a fortune!) We could find fault with a few things if we tried (e.g. I think we were in the same lodge as someone who's posted pictures of some cracked bathroom floor tiles) but we really don't get how people can focus on that when the rest of the living accommodation is so well looked after. Go and enjoy yourself!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to share your resort experience on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to read your review, it is always a pleasure when guests have such a wonderful time whilst staying with us. I am happy that you found the lodge accommodating for you and your family.
Thank you for your kind words regarding your dining on the resort - your feedback has been passed on to the Aspects team. The breakfast is always something that tends to be popular with out guest and I am happy to hear that you feel the same way.

We cannot wait to welcome you back again.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We are just back from 2 nights at the Macdonald Aviemore Highland hotel during the Easter break. We had looked at everything from the youth hostel to private chalets but the Autumn deal from Macdonald hotels proved to be by far the best value. The public areas of the hotel are not particularly special but the rooms (we had a family room) were of a very high standard and the restaurants (we ate in Aspects) were much better than we had anticipated. The quality of the food for both dinner and breakfast were excellent. Drinks are a little pricey but we found that childrens meals were included so we splashed out. There were plenty of staff in the hotel and the service was friendly, efficient but most importantly we felt that they wanted to achieve a high standard in everything. We were impressed and will try one of these deals again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review to share your resort experience.
I am delighted to read your review and learn that you had such a wonderful stay with your family. We always strive for the best possible guest service at the resort - and it is always a pleasure when guest recognize that. Thank you for your kind words regarding the dining available and our staff, I know they will be happy to hear that they made you feel welcome.

We look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Linlithgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Had a great weekend with the family at the Highland Resort. Family rooms are in the Academy Hotel which is basic but ideal for purpose, closest to the town centre, and the kids love the pool and soft play.
As we have found with a few Macdonald hotels though, corners are cut and it could be so much better.
The hotel is set in one of the most beautiful areas of the world, with fantastic natural produce on the doorstep. None of that makes onto the breakfast menu, for example - have a look at the Mountain Cafe for what you can do with local produce. Or the cafe at Rothiemurcus and the venison sandwich at Glenmore is a must.
Service also isn't great, Sunday breakfast was really poor and with check out at 11 and the soft play and pool slide not opening until 10 the last morning with kids up from 7 seems quite long!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a reivew. I am happy to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us. It is great that you bad the chance to make use of the leisure facilities that we offer on site and that you enjoyed them.
I am sorry to hear that you found the breakfast service poor on the Sunday morning - your comments have been passed on to the relevant department. Thank you for your feedback regarding the opening times of the soft play - your comments have been taken on board.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the future.