“Couple of nights in a dust-storm”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked a short romantic break in January. The website hinted at renovations, saying that x number of newly refurbished rooms would be available in the Summer. Turns out, we were right in the thick of it. Noisy building work, blaring radios, builders shouting, dust everywhere. Incredible that one room was open for business whilst the adjacent one was undergoing renovation. We asked to be moved, but were over-charged because an equivalent room was not available. Staff had some difficulties with English, gave misleading information, probably because of communication difficulties. I am still in dispute and I don't hold out much hope. The food was very good, though you do get stung big time with extras and drinks if you take an inclusive package (which we did). But the restaurant staff were excellent and friendly (from Portugal, Spain, Eastern Europe). Swimming pool a bit shabby and tired. Would I go back? No, because of the bad experience and the failure of management to put it right. Might be great for kids, when renovations are over. May post photos in future showing the fog of building dust in the corridors.

Room Tip: Try to avoid ground floor with ugly car park view. This was one of their more expensive Executive ro...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,785)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

My partner and I wanted a weekend break away, and it delivered that. Rooms were o.k, not 4* I expected and we booked an executive room. Nice to have wine and fruit in the room though. The staff were very mixed, some were fantastic and so friendly and other were a bit rude. One lady just butted in while I was speaking to someone, although the girls I was speaking to asked her to hold on. She looked embarrassed. The bar was lovely, breakfast was very good. We did go to the Italian on the first night but wasn't really as good as what I was expecting. Aviemore is such a beautiful place you could stay anywhere and enjoy it. I also thought people were exaggerating about finding reception, but they are right. You follow signs for reception to find.....no reception. Just look at the signs on Hotel, find yours and go there. :) Overall we had a lovely time but you don't need to spend that much money to have a nice time. Everyone should also go to Skiing Doo. Fabulous place, packed out.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time and effort taken to write a review and share your resort experience.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and foud the resort accommodating for you weekend break.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the breakfast served - it is something that our guests always tend to enjoy.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had a great time at this resort rooms were basic but for a three star it was clean and had everything you need. Plenty to do at the resort and breakfast was excellent. The stay was made more enjoyable due to two members of staff Doreen on reception who was extremely friendly and helpful and Connor in the Village bar again very friendly unlike some of the "Managers" who obviously felt too important to smile at mear guests

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyeable stay with us.
Thank you for your kind words regarding members of staff - your wonderful words have been passed on.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

We booked this through Hotel Connexions with doubt in our mind remembering we had a horrible stay with the Macdonald Hotel group in their signature collection hotel Old England Hotel and Spa in Windermere eighteen months ago and still await a satisfactory conclusion but that is another story.
Here we arrived at mid day knowing that we were not booked in till 4pm To our surprise our room was available and were directed to it. There was an apology as the hotel was, and is going through a major face lift which was not advised to us when we booked but did not interfere or spoil our visit there thankfully. Dinner in the Aspects Restaurant was excellent with breakfast possibly one of the best we have had in the U.K. Staff very friendly and helpful and considering many of them are visitors to the area also, their knowledge of the district and advice what to do
was first class. You could say that this stay has given me confidence to book a Macdonald break again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to share your experience with us.
I am delighted to learn that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that it has restored your faith in our company.
Thank you for your kind words in regards to our staff - it is something that we work very hard on and I am happy that they made you feel welcome.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

My partner and I booked with an "it is on" deal which included the room, dinner and breakfast in the morning for a one night stay. It was alright to begin with , we got checked in and went up to our room which was shabby and the toilet was leaking. Which is alright , we didn't mind. There was nothing to do there, very plain and boring - not what they advertise it as. Everything is over priced. The staff are absolutely incompetent and unhelpful. That evening I called to the reception to ask when breakfast starts to which the gent replied 10am , that morning we arrived for 10 o'clock and were told that we were too late , breakfast began at 7am. I was frustrated as we had such poor service during our stay and we had already paid for breakfast but the gent at the reception had told me the wrong time. I took this information to the woman at the reception - they did nothing about this , did not offer any sort of apology or refund as we had already paid. We checked out an went on our way home. It is now 2 weeks later and they have taken a £100 charge off our card ! We called and they say they have taken the money off the card as we stayed for a second night! We explained we had only stayed 1 night, that is what our booking offered and we checked out. The unhelpful woman on the phone tries to tell us they have no record of our stay?! Absolutely rediculous! Be aware of this resort!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank LoraRoseYoung
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am sorry to learn that you were dissapointed with your stay with us - we always aim to provide the best possible guest service and take it seriously when guests find that this is not the case.
I am sorry to hear about the confusions in regards to your breakfast - our normal breakfast time is from 7:00 until 10:00 and I do apologise that this was not properly communicated to you.
I apologise that you were charged for the second night that you did not stay - I understand that this charge has now been refunded.

If you would like to discuss your dissapointment in more detail, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us directly.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I've stayed in the lodges previously and been mightily impressed by them, so booked the Highland Hotel for Valentines weekend with zero hesitation. Unfortunately, I've been a bit disappointed with the experience. It started well, receptionist checked us in, all fine, I had pre-booked dinner in the Aspects Restaurant and it was confirmed at check-in. We proceeded to our room, which was to put it mildly, an ice box! We blasted the heating and hit the bar to give the room a chance to warm (although I think this should have been done prior to us checking in) and returned an hour later. Still pretty chilly, so phoned Duncan at guest services who to his credit found an extra heater and had it brought to us, the heat for the rest of the weekend was bearable, although the bathroom floor was freezing, towels were stood on at ALL times!
Aspects restaurant is a credit to the place, lovely service, freshly cut bread at your request, and the meal was beautiful. I was struggling with a cold but we asked if we could have dessert in our room, and this was easily and happily accommodated. Dessert in pjs-bliss.
The following night we went to the steak club in another part of the resort, and honestly, my heart went out to the poor manager/waiter that was literally running himself ragged trying to serve the entire restaurant with one other waitress to help. No idea if this was a one off or a normal state of affairs, and I think we were lucky that we arrived at a quiet point (7pm booking) and our starters and main were served pretty much without delay, however, we then sat for a good 20 min after our plates were cleared from our mains to either get a dessert menu, or an opportunity to ask for the bill! We eventually decided to return to the main hotel, and order dessert there. We approached the bar to save the waiter any more jobs, and received our bill, observing whilst we did so the person that appeared to be the manager of the club come through, pour herself some water, distract the bar staff with some chit chat, cast an eye over the disarray in the restaurant then return to her office. When we went to reception to request transport the manager appeared to be counting takings for the day....maybe not the best supporting role for her poor staff.
We visited the pool, mainly crammed with kids, steam room was a wee bit stale smelling, and generally the whole place was cold.
There would need to be a few improvements made before I'd consider a return. But would return to aspects in a heartbeat. Special mention to the breakfast chef who had great banter and local knowledge, poor mention to the receptionist who when I asked if she could confirm our steak club booking on the sat, merely said, 'not now, can you come back in a couple of hours'.
Phone reception is also terrible, and in somewhere like aviemore, free and easily accessible wifi, would be great. Not 'the cloud' that throws you out after an hour of so.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time and effort taken to write a review to share your resort experience.
I am sorry to learn about your experience at the Steak Club when having dinner there - please rest assured that your comments and concerns have been passed onto them directly.
Thank you for your wonderful words regarding your dining experience in Aspects, I am delighted that you enjoyed it and that the staff were accommodating for you.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We have stayed here every time we visit Aviemore and will continue to do so. It is in the very middle on the one main street so the location is excellent. We first booked it when we visited the Royal Highland Wildlife Park in Kingussie which was only a 10 minute drive away. The staff are super friendly and the rooms are cosy and clean. The only downsides of staying in the Inn was the heat - I think we were above the kitchen so it was extremely warm and we couldn't open the window due to a child block on it - and our dinner was a bit disappointing. The free English breakfast however was excellent, the choice was amazing - even including haggis! The swimming pool was a nice added touch as well, especially when you also have access to the sauna and jacuzzi for free - and if you have kids, there is an excellent swing park in the grounds. And with a Cinema in the hotel, it was just perfect for a cosy winters break! Definitely would recommend this to anyone visiting Aviemore.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a first or second floor as the heat is unbearable from the kitchen!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your resort experience.
I am delighted to read your review and learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for you wonderful words regarding our staff - it is something that we work very hard on.
It is great that you had the chance to make use of all the leisure facilities and enjoyed them.