“Easter Break Academy Hotel- Much good some not so good!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Edinburgh
“Easter Break Academy Hotel- Much good some not so good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Ok going to get the negative out the way first the towel rails in the Academy are absolutely lethal, my son (age 11) got out the shower right next to me and leapt in the air on contact, the room is 3917. I phoned reception to advise he had been burnt and a foreigner whom I am not quite sure understood me advised no ice-packs could bring ice. A silver bucket of ice arrived 20 minutes later, far too late to avoid a blister as big as a mans thumb on the rear of my boy. (I was not for throwing him into a freezing bath as an alternate). I had blister plasters so put these on with antiseptic having cooled it as best we could, we left and let the wee man at the Academy Reception know and we were greeted with a big glazed smile and again had no idea if he knew what I was talking about. In the defence of both staff I had spoke to, they did indeed understand me as when I went to the main reception he said ahhhh yes I know and that was about as much acknowledgement as we got (offered first aid at this point?) , apparently a switch switches the rail off and housekeeping would do that for us. No sorry or is you son ok? Very poor show for a family resort and was a big let down as we like Macdonald hotels.

So the rest is fairly easy we arrived for Easter Weekend 2014 on the Friday, the Academy is basic but clean and when you have kids it is an ideal base for a weekend. The main hotel is lovely and the grounds are beautiful it is two minute walk from centre of Aviemore so lots of places to eat etc.

The pool is great there is lots for kids to do on site the play park is more for younger kids but just outside is goals so the bigger ones just enjoy the open space.

Overall we had a really great weekend and would go back, it was our first time to Aviemore and wished we had gone there sooner.

Kids entertainments was average but it was there and that is important.

Last moan..........the lady on reception at the swimming area Easter Saturday requires a lesson on how to make eye contact and basic customer contact. 'You sign here', 'No you put towels there', and 'now come here and sign out', 'you pay £4 if not no', I was so relieved she was off duty on Monday as I was actually to the point where I was going to tell her how much I disliked her manner. Poor woman would be better placed as an attendant at a football game! However lady on the Monday who was also not first language English was an absolute delight and very friendly and how it should be.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Firstly I would like to extend my apologies for how the incident with your sons burn was handled. I am sorry that you were left feeling unattended to and that communicating with staff was difficult. The matter has been brought up for investigation. I sincerely hope that the burn was not too bad and that your son is feeling better.

I am delighted to hear that you had the time to use the facilities offered on site and that you and your family enjoyed them - note that you comments regarding the reception staff has been passed on to the relevant department.

We cannot wait to get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

The General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We have just returned today from Aviemore resort had a great time, the weather was fantastic. Happy enough with the price we paid booked the hotel during January sale on website roughly cost £260 but certainly not happy if we'd paid over £500!!
Negatives: The rooms were clean but a bit shabby in the Academy building, there was a mark on the bath unsure what it was blue mark!
The breakfast was poor there was a selection of hot and cold food with cereals but not enough fruit and yogurts on offer and the bacon was tasteless also no fresh drinking water in sight and coffee was terrible.

Plus: Staff were all polite and helpful.
The pool was great when we went it was really quiet and the kids loved the water slide and wave machine.
Kids also enjoyed the soft play area.
Plenty to do if the weather not so good we didn't use all the facilities due to the great weather.

I would recommend the hotel at a good price but not worth over inflated prices.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Claire C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out to share your resort experience.

We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the Academy Hotel - please be assured that you comments have been passed on to the relevant department.
I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with breakfast options - we generally get positive feedback in regards to the breakfast that we offer, you feedback has been taken on board.

Thank you for your wonderful words regarding our staff - it is something that we work very hard on and I know they will be delighted to hear that they made you feel welcome and were helpful.
It is great that you had the time to use the leisure faciliteis and enjoyed them.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

On our way back from Inverness we stopped a day in Aviemore and stayed at the Macdonald Hotel! Good location and hotel facilities. Great if your are visiting or planning to stay with kids and family (Not so good for couples). Restaurant was busy, Service was very slow and food average.

Room Tip: For sure great place for Kids!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review on Trip Advisor.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the facilites that we offer onsite and that the resort location was accommodating for you.
I do apologise for the delay caused in the restaurant - you comments have been passed on to the relevant department.

We look forward to welcome you back again,
Inverness, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

hotel was ok nothing to rave about , room was up in the gods and badly smelt of newly paint
as i got high. parking outside minimal but big place , never used swimming pool or gym
but looked good and supplied towels .walked into aviemore was nice wee pubs no to busy
brekfast was good staff very helpfull

Room Tip: good mountain views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review - all guest feedback is always much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced by a strong smell of paint - your comments have been passed on to the relevant deparmtn.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed breakfast and that they made you feel welcome - that is something that we work very hard on at the resort.

We look forward to welcome you back again - hopefully you will be able to make use of the leisure facilties on that occasion.

Edinburgh, Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here in March 2014 with the purpose of skiing in the Cairngorms for a couple of days. The rooms, the bar, the restaurant and the reception area were pleasant enough, but the hotel corridors are fairly grim and in need of refurbishment (which is currently underway). The staff were all pleasant too, but the information about the area was shockingly lacking. The reception staff appeared to have no knowledge about basic, tourist-required information such as bus times to the Cairngorm ski area, ski hire and lift passes. In addition, when I asked one receptionist if she had information about the Reindeer Centre (for which I'd seen a sign), she had no idea what I was talking about. The hotel does not appear to be set up for people who want to enjoy the outdoors - which is extremely odd for a hotel based in Aviemore! There was no hotel shuttle bus to the Rothiemurcus estate or elsewhere and no facilities for ski/boot storage.

The plus sides to this hotel are the attractive setting in beautifully landscaped grounds and the great facilities for kids (our three year old son loved the play park area with little wooden houses and wooden train for playing in).

However, in my view the hotel needs to tailor its needs better to the type of tourism it is catering for and make sure that it's staff are equipped with information about the surrounding area. The rooms were fine but not brilliant for a hotel of this star-rating. We stayed in an unrefurbished room and it may be that the newly updated rooms are better.

All in all, an ok stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ScotlandMaz
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Booked a short romantic break in January. The website hinted at renovations, saying that x number of newly refurbished rooms would be available in the Summer. Turns out, we were right in the thick of it. Noisy building work, blaring radios, builders shouting, dust everywhere. Incredible that one room was open for business whilst the adjacent one was undergoing renovation. We asked to be moved, but were over-charged because an equivalent room was not available. Staff had some difficulties with English, gave misleading information, probably because of communication difficulties. I am still in dispute and I don't hold out much hope. The food was very good, though you do get stung big time with extras and drinks if you take an inclusive package (which we did). But the restaurant staff were excellent and friendly (from Portugal, Spain, Eastern Europe). Swimming pool a bit shabby and tired. Would I go back? No, because of the bad experience and the failure of management to put it right. Might be great for kids, when renovations are over. May post photos in future showing the fog of building dust in the corridors.

Room Tip: Try to avoid ground floor with ugly car park view. This was one of their more expensive Executive ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

My partner and I wanted a weekend break away, and it delivered that. Rooms were o.k, not 4* I expected and we booked an executive room. Nice to have wine and fruit in the room though. The staff were very mixed, some were fantastic and so friendly and other were a bit rude. One lady just butted in while I was speaking to someone, although the girls I was speaking to asked her to hold on. She looked embarrassed. The bar was lovely, breakfast was very good. We did go to the Italian on the first night but wasn't really as good as what I was expecting. Aviemore is such a beautiful place you could stay anywhere and enjoy it. I also thought people were exaggerating about finding reception, but they are right. You follow signs for reception to find.....no reception. Just look at the signs on Hotel, find yours and go there. :) Overall we had a lovely time but you don't need to spend that much money to have a nice time. Everyone should also go to Skiing Doo. Fabulous place, packed out.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time and effort taken to write a review and share your resort experience.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and foud the resort accommodating for you weekend break.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the breakfast served - it is something that our guests always tend to enjoy.

We look forward to welcome you back again in the near future.