Ok going to get the negative out the way first the towel rails in the Academy are absolutely lethal, my son (age 11) got out the shower right next to me and leapt in the air on contact, the room is 3917. I phoned reception to advise he had been burnt and a foreigner whom I am not quite sure understood me advised no ice-packs could bring ice. A silver bucket of ice arrived 20 minutes later, far too late to avoid a blister as big as a mans thumb on the rear of my boy. (I was not for throwing him into a freezing bath as an alternate). I had blister plasters so put these on with antiseptic having cooled it as best we could, we left and let the wee man at the Academy Reception know and we were greeted with a big glazed smile and again had no idea if he knew what I was talking about. In the defence of both staff I had spoke to, they did indeed understand me as when I went to the main reception he said ahhhh yes I know and that was about as much acknowledgement as we got (offered first aid at this point?) , apparently a switch switches the rail off and housekeeping would do that for us. No sorry or is you son ok? Very poor show for a family resort and was a big let down as we like Macdonald hotels.
So the rest is fairly easy we arrived for Easter Weekend 2014 on the Friday, the Academy is basic but clean and when you have kids it is an ideal base for a weekend. The main hotel is lovely and the grounds are beautiful it is two minute walk from centre of Aviemore so lots of places to eat etc.
The pool is great there is lots for kids to do on site the play park is more for younger kids but just outside is goals so the bigger ones just enjoy the open space.
Overall we had a really great weekend and would go back, it was our first time to Aviemore and wished we had gone there sooner.
Kids entertainments was average but it was there and that is important.
Last moan..........the lady on reception at the swimming area Easter Saturday requires a lesson on how to make eye contact and basic customer contact. 'You sign here', 'No you put towels there', and 'now come here and sign out', 'you pay £4 if not no', I was so relieved she was off duty on Monday as I was actually to the point where I was going to tell her how much I disliked her manner. Poor woman would be better placed as an attendant at a football game! However lady on the Monday who was also not first language English was an absolute delight and very friendly and how it should be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotels of our Macdonald Aviemore Resort are situated at the very heart of the Cairngorms National Park in the Scottish Highlands - a magical location. Stay amidst ancient Caledonian pine forests at one of our four distinctive hotels or our luxury woodland lodge accommodation. You'll find the perfect room for your stay in one of our luxurious Scottish Highlands hotels at Aviemore. Our Highlands Hotel offer four-star luxury for all the family along with our newly refurbished Morlich and Aviemore Hotels which are due to open Spring 2015. Choose one of our Luxury Woodland lodges for a stunning escape in the forest surrounding our resort. You'll find everything you need and more at Macdonald Aviemore Resort - luxury brand shopping, 3D cinema viewing, top-class restaurants, our brand new, state-of-the-art Aviemore Activity Centre, family activities, swimming pool - and for golfers, the Spey Valley Championship Golf Course. Recently voted one of the best in Scotland, this course boasts some of the most breathtaking views in the world. Designed by Dave Thomas, former Ryder Cup player, it features the longest hole in Scotland - a par 5 measuring 635 yards. Are you up for the challenge? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Priceline, Hotelopia, Superbreak UK, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Aviemore Highland Hotel Aviemore
- Macdonald Aviemore Hotel At Macdonald Aviemore Resort Scotland