“Log Cabin, Long Weekend”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Like other hotels in the area there is plenty to do. The pool and gym facilities are first rate although often crowded. If you are after a quiet swim / work out, head down at opening or and hour before closing, there are very few people.

We stayed up in the log cabins at the back of the resort. The overall impression: Fantastic. Several bedrooms through out, wood burning fire and mezzanine floor overlooking the living area and out onto the peaks. Comfortably fit our group without issue.

Staff are great and are happy to help where possible, house keeping are lovely and go out of there way to improve your stay if they can.

Certainly will return.

Room Tip: I would always go for the log cabins if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your resort experience.
I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us and found the lodge that you stayed in accommodating.
It is great that you had an opportunity to use the leisure facilities and enjoyed them.

We look forward to welcome you back again.

Best regards.

The General Manager

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort

Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I love this place! I visit several times every year and I am never disappointed. The pool facilities are excellent and it's a struggle to get the kids out. The location is first class with all the facilities you could possibly need just a few minutes walk away. I will be back ....

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review.
It is such a pleasure to read and I am delighted that you always enjoy the resor and its facilities.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a reivew - we look forward to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My wife and I booked a 3 bedroom (sleeps 8 with a privacy of 6) through RCI timeshare exchange and invited 2 other couples to join us. We were mortified to discover that the 3rd bedroom (bunk beds that literally filled half of the room) could only be accessed through the 2nd bedroom - imagine that! It would only be suitable if you had two young children. We complained bitterly to RCI, but were told that the 3rd couple could use the lounge sofa bed and because the lounge had a door and because they had access to the 2nd bathroom, it was private. As members of 25 years standing, we felt shabbily treated by RCI. We felt that we had no option but to rent an additional 1 bedroom apartment. A comical event happened when 28 people were in the bar to watch the Chelsea Champions League match. We weren't allowed any volume because an accordionist was doing a two hour set of Captain Pugwash's greatest hits - I kid you not. Several left at half time to watch it in Aviemore.

That aside, I would still recommend the resort. It is in a beautiful area with many good walks. We played golf at the free 9 hole course and at the excellent (though stll a bit immature) Spey Valley Golf Club. Luckily Aviemore was the hottest place in the UK that day and the setting is magnificent.

Room Tip: The Monarch 3 beds are apparently better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JOHN L
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Felt extremely vulnerable during 'stay' here in April 2014. Had to use 'tradesman's entrance' as refurbishment access via front of hotel was impossible.
Upset 7yr old after booking in fiasco left us too late to attend the Cinema. Lift REALLY difficult to negotiate. Halls were freezing due to refurbishment, which we were not aware of upon booking.
Booked in for dinner. Had to go between floors via lift that ascended 4/5 steps. Once someone eventually came to operate it, my carer wheeled me on. At the top, immediately in front was a door that opened towards lift. Unbelievably, the door didn't open wide enough, and thankfully my sister was accompanying us and both her and my carer had to physical tip the wheelchair onto its side to get off lift. Feeling increasingly uneasy, we made our way to dinner - yet ANOTHER, more straightforward lift! - only for the fire alarm to go off! Evacuated to a roof, we overheard another guest enquiring to the cause as it'd happened earlier! She was told that it was steam from guests' showers. Terrified at the thought of the probability of being evacuated in middle of night, I felt the only, safe option, was to travel 60 miles back home. Offered alternative accommodation, we declined as we weren't confident with Resorts Health and Safety Policy and honestly felt emotionally drained with our experience. We got 25% off our meal! which was delicious! promised a explanatory phone call! which unsurprisingly never materialised!
Stayed in MANY hotels across the Globe, but this is the first time I've felt my safety' been compromised...very disappointed!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank TMG144
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We did not stay at the hotel but used the swimming pool where the woman at reception seemed very annoyed that I bothered her to pay good money to use the pool. the cleanliness of the place did not seem kept on top of and when we opened the door of a cubicle when we were getting ready to leave this was confirmed by finding faeces smeared on the floor and bench. Aviemore in the whole is a fantastic place severely let down by the state of this pool.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Keith M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.

I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with the leisure facilities.
We always strive to offer the best guest service and take it seriously when this is not the case.
Please rest assured that your feedback has been passed on to the department and will be investigated.
Once again - I apologise for the inconvenience this caused you during your visit to the resort, and we do hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We sent a short break of 2 nights at the McDonald Academy Hotel where we were highly disappointed.

The room not only dated which we had initially expected from reading online reviews but filthy (see uploaded pictures).

Carpets had come away from grippers causing my young son of three a foot injury.
The bath was so badly stained that my kids refused to wash in it.
Door frames and window cills are filthy and had old red blood stains.
TV connection was broken.
Mirror in the bathroom was a health and safety risk and was literally hanging off the wall.
The iron had a bare wire on show.

I paid good money for this and I expected it to be at least clean, hygienic and serviceable especially when bringing children. Certainly not the 4 star which they advertise.

Had we not have been so far away from home we would actually considered leaving. Luckily we had a range of activities booked outwith the Hotel and didn't have to spend much time there.

I wrote to the McDonald resort once we returned from our break to ask for a refund which was declined.

The photographs of the accommodation say it all.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen I
Reviewed 3 May 2014

i really loved this hotel. coming off a very bad one to come here was luxury, the bed was impressive and the room large, and little bunnies hopping around the grounds outside my window . the lady who was mean to give out our keys wasn't a very happy person, and that made me worry about the rest of the staff, luckily she was the only one not pleasant! the restaurant staff were amazing and with great senses of humour, after dinner we had some drinks in the bar and the bar staff were wonderful. i'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your resort experience.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room accommodating.
Thank you for you kind words regarding our restaurant and bar staff - I know they will be delighted to hear that they made you feel welcome.

We hope you welcome you back again.