“Great staff. Chaotic and noisy hotel”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great staff. Chaotic and noisy hotel”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Booked into room 362 in the inn , very dated room and bathroom seemed to have been decorated by someone who had never done it before , this room was by the lift shaft and every time the lift was used the room shook with a loud rumbling. Not the best recipe for a restful nights sleep.
I had the room changed to the family block and to be fair the staff did this without a problem.
We were informed that unless we were in a coach party we could not use the food hall restaurant, a situation we were unaware of again the staff on the ground dealt with this, I have the feeling they are quite used to dealing with a multitude of complaints and problems.
Great staff but bad management, you are on a coach party conveyor belt here and the place is not designed for the independent traveller.
If a manager from the resort reads this just thank your on the floor staff for keeping a wobbling ship afloat

Room Tip: If you are anywhere near a lift shaft go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank UKTonyz
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to hear that you had some issues with your room when you arrived but happy that it was dealt with quickly by our staff.
Thank you for your words regarding our staff - I am delighted that they were helpful and made you feel welcome.

Please note that all your feedback has been taken on board.

The General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I traveled North to celebrate our wedding anniversary and stayed at the Macdonald Highland Resort in Aviemore from Saturday 10th - 11th May 2014. Firstly, the stunning surroundings were breathtaking which was just right for the occasion, the staff from the reception, rooms and dining area were very hospitable and made us feel very much at home after a long trip. The room we stayed in was classic and very comfortable. The response we received upon lacking an item in the room was also exceptional. The breakfast had a great selection - and we loved every aspect of our weekend away. keep it up!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Psalms46
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time taken to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us - thank you for all your wonderful comments.
I will make sure to pass on your feedback - I know the staff will be happy to hear that they made you feel welcome and were helpful.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The rooms were very comfortable and a decent size. Staff were helpful and welcoming. The hotel is in a great location - only a 5 minute walk into the town centre, which has a great selection of shops and bars.

Food did the job, a big selection at breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank T0m_Y22
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time out to share your resort experience.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - it is a pleasure to read that staff was so welcoming and accommodaing, I know they will be delighted when I pass on the message.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We decided to come here for our anniversary a nice break away.

Right from the word go this hotel has been brilliant.

I emailed a few queries I had before going and the quick response and helpfulness was brilliant.

On arrival at the hotel it was very clean and peaceful.

We arrived at reception and was greeted my a really pleasant lady who was again very helpful. We were informed we had a room upgrade (complimentary) which we were very happy with.

We arrived at our hotel the Macdonald hotel and it was beautiful. Gardens were outstanding. Again the reception here was very helpful and pleasant and showed us to our room.

The room was outstanding! I did not expect it to be so big and pretty! Honestly could not fault the room! The bed was huge! And the complimentary short bread was an added bonus!

The room was cleaned every day to a very high standard.

We used many of the facilities at the hotel

1. Swimming pool sauna and steam room these were brilliant perfect way to start your day. Complimentary towels also meant you didn't over do it with luggage or have wet towels lying around.

2. Spey valley shopping wow so much to choose from! I managed to get myself a gorgeous new bag!

3. Aspects bar. I didn't think this was to pricey compared to everywhere else. The free snacks were also an added bonus.

4. Costa Coffee was a great place to just unwind and chat with my partner.

The breakfast was served in aspects and the breakfast was amazing! The table service was brill and the staff were very polite and welcoming!

Location - the hotel is brilliantly located! At the top of the main aviemore street. We also got on a bus at the end of the road that took us to the cairngorm mountains. Very brilliantly located.

We asked for an early check in and late check out we requested these as it was not super important for us to get and the hotel emailed me and informed me I had an early check in and I could stay in my room till 12 for check out. I got these free of charge from the hotel. Which was fantastic as you can often pay a lot of money for these.

Overall I was very satisfied with my stay and will definitely be back. Please ignore all bad reviews and give this hotel a chance you will be pleasantly surprised! I honestly have no complaints at all.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shona M
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your resort experience.

It is a pleasure to read your review and hear thay ou had such a wonderful time at the resort.
We always aim for the highest possible guest service - and we are always delighted when guests find this to be the case.
Thank you for you wonderful words regarding our staff - I am happy that they were helpful and make you feel welcome.
It is great that you had the chance to make use of all the facilities that we offer onsite and enjoyed them - they always tend to be popular with our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back again, hopefully soonar rather than later.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in the Aviemore Inn at this 'resort' from Sunday the 25th to Tuesday the 27th of May. Staff struggled to be friendly on check in at the check in desk, which was not actually in the hotel but at the conference centre next door. Rooms very dated and in much need of renovation (my son declared it "smells of old people!". We expected a health and leisure complex with a pool and gym. We got to the pool to have a pre dinner swim and were told that the whole area was closed due to an 'accident' in the pool, this we know can happen in the pool but to shut the gym as well?

We came back the next morning after a very hearty breakfast ready to enjoy our much needed gym and swim, only to be told there wasn't a gym anyway, it had been closed for refurbishment for quite some time. The Jacuzzi pool was also out of order. So the only thing my teenagers had to occupy them was the slide that was only open for 20 minutes out of every hour.

The pluses to this place are the very generous buffet breakfast and the auditorium that doubles as a cinema.

When we checked out we were asked if we had enjoyed our stay, I let the receptionist know about the pools and gym and she called the office manager to the desk who then promised to follow up my remarks. I'm still waiting!

Communication is dreadful and at no time from the initial booking, were we made aware of the gym closure. Not good enough!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jo P

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to learn that you were left feeling dissapointed with your stay - we always strive for the best possible guest service and take it seriously when guests find that this is not the case.

I do wish you would have spoken to us regarding the dissapointment of your room - we would have been more that happy to look for an alternative room that would have been more accommodating for your stay.
I apologise about the lack of communication and that you were not informed about the gym being refurbished - please note that your feedback has been taken on board and passed on.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the breakfast that we offer onsite - it always tends to be popular with our guests.

We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back again,

The General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Aviemore hotels

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We went here in November for a weekend away, first of all the heating was off and the place was freezing. We complained and we just got a rude grunt back. Food was not good. The restaurant had a funny smell. The room was good with comfy beds but we got woken up by a couple arguing. Breakfast was poor. Food was cold and tasteless. If I had to name one positive. It would need to be the pool. It was awesome.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Harry N

Thank you for taking the time to write a reivew.
I am sorry to hear that you were left feeling dissapointed with your stay.
Please bes assured that your feedback regarding the heating has been taken on board.

I am happy that you enjoyed the room and found it accommodating for your stay.

We hope to welcome you back again,

Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had always avoided staying at the McDonald Aviemore Resort as it looked so impersonal from the outside. We finally choose to stay there as it was the best value for money at the time. We stayed in two parts of the resort, both equally good. The place was clean, and tidy. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff and nothing was too much trouble. We used the leisure facilities a couple of times, and the swimming pool is amazing for its size. We also used the two bars, and again found the staff very friendly and amenable. I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am happy that you decieded to stay with us on this occasion and enjoyed your stay.
We always strive for the best possible guest service and it is a pleasure when guests find that to be the case.
It is great that you had time to use the leisure facilites that we offer and enjoyed them.