“Fantastic getaway”

Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We decided to book a last minute trip and got a good deal at this hotel. When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was very helpful and polite. The room was quite small but was very clean with a big comfy bed. The staff we met on our stay we're all very friendly and helpful. And I can't rate the food or staff in aspects restaurant highly enough!!

1  Thank louisewalker55
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for your positive review on trip advisor.

I am pleased you found the staff be friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed in highlands hotel which was okay. Having read the info on all the resort I expected better standard of room, service and food. It was an 'okay' stay for the 3 of us but we felt it could have been made more memorable. It's not one of the most friendly macdonald hotels we have experienced
It has the ability to offer unique and finer standards of accommodation and dining in the aviemore area however is not achieving this yet
cinema within hotel was handy and staff very friendly in here.

Room Tip: ensure you check exactly which hotel you are booked in to and obtain specific directions to reach it...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the cinema and found the staff in here to be friendly. Duncan and Hanna are very good and are valued members of the team.

We have a number of refurbishment programmes under way in the hotel. This week we have just launched our new outdoor activity area including activities such as geocaching. Our new segways will also be launched very soon.

On your next visit please contact me directly on lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally deal with your reservation.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the resort in a deluxe room on 7th July for one night during a short road trip around Scotland.

When we arrived at the edge of the resort it was unclear which building we were booked in to. I checked with the first hotel in the resort and was pointed to the Highlands Hotel. Check in was efficient and the agent was polite. The route to our room, which was at the rear of the hotel with a very uninspiring outlook, was almost torturous with no lift available at the reception end of the building and we had to ask several members of staff to point us in the right direction. This is unusual as we travel extensively and never usually have direction issues!. We would ensure we arranged for someone to take our bags to the room if we ever stayed here again.

The room was basic for a Macdonald hotel but clean and serviceable and met our needs for a one night stay. The bar area, being largely painted in a deep purple colour, was very dark and uninviting and did not provide an area where we felt able to relax.

We asked at reception for ideas for dinner. The restaurant in the hotel was quite busy until later than we usually eat so we set off for the steak restaurant at the clubhouse at the sister hotel. The steak was fine but not memorable and the ambience was that of a resort in need of a bit of TLC.

All in all we feel the resort is fine for what it was probably intended for, families engaging in outdoor pursuits. Unfortunately we were not majoring on outdoor pursuits on this trip so feel the hotel didn't meet with our needs on this occasion, more our fault than the hotels; we probably booked the wrong type of hotel.

1  Thank QualitySeekers_13

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am sorry to hear that you felt that the hotel did not meet your needs.

On your next visit please contact myself on lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally deal with your reservation to ensure that your needs are all met.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I booked in for a Spa Day package which stated in the Spa Brochure it included treatments, use of robes/slippers/towels, use of spa facilities, a light lunch and use of leisure facilities. It was a complete waste of money. I arrived at the hotel was taken through to the treatment rooms, was shocked that they actually used hotel bedrooms as treatment rooms, had no spa rooms, relaxation rooms, nothing! After my disappointing spa day I was told i could walk over to the other hotel to use the leisure facilities. There was no gym, the pool was open, but the jacuzzi was broken!

Really disappointed with my visit, written a letter to two members of staff and had no response back!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Claire E

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies that you have not received a response. I have just started this week and nothing was passed over to me. Thank you for taking the time to resend me your original email.

As I explained the resort is under going massive refurbishment at the moment and we have plans to rebuild the spa next year. I have spoken to the beauty manager and she is in the process of changing the spa brochures to avoid a repeat of the issue that you experienced.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were very surprised that we were only told AFTER checking in, that the facilities were cloised (swimming pool). If we had been told at reception then we would have asked to speak to the manager, had our booking cancelled and then went elsewhere. Instead Macdonald resorts made sure they had taken our cash before informing us that facilities were closed.

Room was advertised as having bath and shower, did not have a bath - pretty crappy situation when you are out in the cairngorms partaking in advernture sports and cannot come back to your hotel for a swim or bath.

Room far too hot and stuffy.

I called the resort this morning to speak to the duty manager, she didnt really sound that bothered that our trip was wasted - so will be leaving feedback on laterooms, and tripadvisor.

Room Tip: Dont bother - rooms dont have facilites advertised
3  Thank craig h
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for leaving a review on trip advisor.

As my Duty Manager said when you called we had to close the pool unexpectedly due to a child vomiting in the pool. At Macdonald Hotels we take health and safety very seriously and it was with regret however necessary that we had to close the pool for a couple of hours that day.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. We have lots of exciting developments in the hotel over the next coming year including new outdoor activities that start this week.

On your next visit please contact myself directly on Lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally look after you.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Visited Giovanni's Italian Ristorante at the Macdonald Aviemore Resort, tonight 10/07/14. @ 18.45.
After giving our order to the waiting staff which was only a main meal for two adults and two meals for our 6 year old twins. We found ourselfs waiting a considerable time for our meal to arrive. After 25 minutes I had to ask the management what had happened as the kids were falling asleep. They duly went and inquired, but what they told us was, that if we had ordered a starter first, we would have been catered for quicker. 30 minutes after arriving we received our meals. By this time a table that arrived after us were 3/4 through their 2nd course. The kids macaroni was far to rich and ours was over cooked. One meal was chicken the other a sea food stew.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Alonaaccess A

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. Our primary aim here at the resort is to exceed our guest expectations and I am sorry to read that we have not done that on this occasion. I have passed on your comments to the relevant manager to ensure that this does not happen again.

If you would like to discuss your comments further please do not hesitate to contact me on 01479815300.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed at the Highland hotel in Aviemore in July 14. The hotel was recently refurbished to a good standard and was pleasantly surprised. Having stayed at this hotel on previous occasions I knew what to expect, the service is excellent and the staff are always on hand if needed. The room itself was very spacious and comfortable and the breakfast was fantastic. If your looking for a getaway, you can't go wrong with this hotel and of course, Aviemore is just a brilliant base to explore.

1  Thank martin d
General M, General Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time taken to write a review.

I am delighted to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us and found the newly refurbished rooms accommodating.
Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff - I know that they will be happy to hear that they made you feel welcome and were helpful.

We look forward to welcome you back again,

Best regards,