Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 1 night on a bus tour . Very nice . Good bed. Clean . A little bit knocked around but very roomy . Wifi great . Very quiet . Breakfast very good . Plenty of room in dining room . Staff lovely . Shame about the weather . Beautiful country. .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future...finger's crossed for better weather.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Decide to give this hotel a try as we had heard some good reviews about it. It is divided up into 4 different hotels and lodges. We stayed at the 4* Highland Hotel for one night as we got a cheap deal through a 3rd party online booking site other wise we would have been double the price. The young lad at reception checking us in was very polite and helpful. It was a bit of a maze trying to find our room and the lobby's were a bit dark and dingy. Our room was nice enough and equipped with hairdryer, iron and tea making facilities. The bathroom was a little bit small and the shower was not very powerful. We had our evening meal at the Italian restaurant which is situated in a different hotel on the site. It was a bit disappointing - the waiting staff kept getting orders wrong and the food was just so-so. We went to the Laggans bar in our hotel but only had one drink each as it was so expensive. Breakfast in the morning was excellent though. We went to the swimming pool but it was really crowded and noisy so didn't stay long. Overall a bit disappointed and would have been really upset if I had paid the price Macdonald were asking on there website.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aberdeenquine09
General M, Manager at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for your review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

So, we were looking forward to a stay at a lovely looking resort. We were disappointed.
On arrival it all looks super, but a LOT of cracks started to appear which undid a lot of hard work that the young inexperienced team think they may be putting in.

We were checked into the 'Academy Hotel' - A second class (3*) block of rooms on the edge of the resort. Not a great start.

- The rooms, although sizeable had issues.
Our towel rail didn't work. The light in the wardrobe didn't work (an issues as opening the door covered the window). The radiator didn't work, after every attempt to turn every knob and switch. We had to dry our shoes (it was raining) and swimming trunks - as no spin dryer was available. I would have called down to reception but our phone didn't work.

Next door my parents have two blown light bulbs. I looked for a pen and paper so I could leave a note for the housekeeper about the issues but when I had to go to the main reception (the Academy reception is only manned part time), I was told that 'Guest stationary was reserved for our 4* guests Sir.' - that made me feel great. A pad and pencil would have been appreciated. I made sure all my issues were reported to the duty manager, they were not around and I had to wait while the young receptionist opened the 'log' and types transcribed my comments - a lengthy and frustrating process.

Also, whilst waiting for my wife to get ready one evening I said I would wait in reception. Big mistake as no sofa or seating is available in the 'Academy' reception. It is a very bleak place. And the carpet in the lift is really very poor. A small point I know, but should you every visit you will see what I mean. No help offered with luggage.

Breakfast was another let down for the sake of simple things. They have a rotary toaster that is the noisiest I have every heard - a continuous high pitched squeak and squeal could be heard across the whole dining room. They have one coffee station (with two machines) serving the whole room. It is a self service so, as we were on the far side of the room quite a long way to go. Why not put one machine each side of the room?

I asked why the toast machine hadn't been services and was told 'it only makes that noise on certain functions'. Like the toast making function?. Buffet breakfast items were good apart from the coffee trek and noise.

We used the pool facilities and were hoping for a relaxing Jacuzzi after a days travelling and walking - but it was broken. As was the Children's waterside - all roped off and a lot of disappointed kids were evident. A real shame as this is a massive feature. The Sauna had a fixed temperature and could not be heated by water on the coals as is usual.

As mentioned, no spinner for wet trunks - and no heating in the room to dry them.

Overall, a very poor experience. We paid £83 for each of the two rooms and my Amex App has just alerted me I have been charged £109 for each room. Just called and they have said it is normal and will be refunded. They automatically take £26 extra for each room in-case of extras. In all my years of travelling, this is especially odd - and a bit hostel like.

Won't be back.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in the Academy Block.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Adam g

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. Please be assured that the comments you have raised have been taken very seriously and addressed thoroughly. I can assure you that this is not the normal standard we strive for in our daily routines and is certainly not what we are all trained for.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please contact me on Lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Booked for one night only as a top up to our stay elsewhere in Aviemore. The resort comprises a number of hotels and we stayed in the "inn" version. Depressingly dark, tired and dingy rooms with ageing bathrooms. Perhaps the other hotels in the resort are nicer - I hope so - but they all share the same breakfast buffet which is sadly also well below pa. My cooked breakfast was luke warm at best by the time it reached the table and the continental breakfast selection was limited. If your toast gets stuck in the conveyor, like mine, then don't worry all you have to do is use the conveniently placed giant wooden spatula to shove into the toaster to dislodge it. A strange place which is terrible value for money.

Silver linings? I would have been harsher but the staff were friendly and helpful allowing us an early check in; and if you have kids who are not content with the many outdoor activities going on in and around Aviemore then I guess your overpriced room is also subsidising use of the indoor swimming pool and soft play area.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oli B

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

As a result of customer feedback the Inn will close in January for refurbishment and will reopen in April as a four star hotel.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future. On your next visit please email me on Lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk and I will personally deal with your reservation.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I think this resort was nice decades ago, but it is ridiculously run down. The paint is peeling. The carpets are worn. The rooms are dingy. There wasn't hot water in the shower and the toilet didn't flush properly.

A particular highlight was the terrible food. We made a reservation in person. 30 minutes later they couldn't find it. After 45 minutes, our waitress came to the table to ask if everything was ok. We pointed out politely that we had yet to get our food. When it came, the food was terrible and when we very politely told them, a slimy 20 year old manager told us he'd received no other complaints that night. This after we watched dozens of people have words with the hostess. Clearly they capitalize on location as the place is packed, but it totally sucks. . .

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. . .
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Ross M

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on trip advisor.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.

To allow me to investigate fully can I ask you to email me the hotel that you stayed in within the resort and the restaurant that you ate in? My email address is Lindsey.randall@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are just home from a superb weeks holiday in Aviemore . We did many outdoor activities during that time with the play park and 5 a-side football pitch at the Macdonald Highland resort being a tremendous place for our two lads to let off some steam. We also enjoyed the indoor swimming pool with flume which was a fab way of cooling down as the weather that week was touching 30 deg cel.
There is a new play area with x-box and ps4 stations which is a great respite for mums and dads who have children who are having withdrawal symptoms from their home-tech.
As we have discovered this week , there is so much more to do than we realised in the Aviemore area when the weather is fine with beautiful lochs , cycle tracks and golf. However having a facility like the Macdonald Highland Leisure Arena within the village gives mums and dads the option for fun and exercise when the weather is not so hot.
Everyone is very friendly too which is only to be expected as folk up there are known for their 'Highland hospitality '.
If there was anything that could be improved then I would suggest taking back the old menu in 'The Scottish Steak Club' which is an eaterie on the Dalfaber site . My wife , two boys and I ate there on Friday evening which I would have expected to be busy , but wasn't . This is a very nice lounge /bar with leisure facilities which should be used to its full potential.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank skiboy_robertson
General M, Owner at Macdonald Aviemore Hotel at Macdonald Aviemore Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor.

Our new children's activity centre is fabulous with the games room being extremely popular. We have more improvements happening in the Resort over the coming weeks including the arrival our new Segway's.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We decided to book a last minute trip and got a good deal at this hotel. When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely receptionist who was very helpful and polite. The room was quite small but was very clean with a big comfy bed. The staff we met on our stay we're all very friendly and helpful. And I can't rate the food or staff in aspects restaurant highly enough!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louisewalker55

Thank you for your positive review on trip advisor.

I am pleased you found the staff be friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.