Open today: 10:30 - 16:30
Review Highlights
Mince Pies and Mulled Wine

2nd Jan 2019 Lovely sunny day for a trip on steam train . On arrival found the Station at Aviemore... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
bomberosteve
York, United Kingdom
Amazing

The journey is amazing , can't wait to see the extended route when it's built. Love the late night... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
mchaggiz
Aviemore, United Kingdom
via mobile

1,219 results
All reviews afternoon tea steam engine santa express first class mince pies sunday lunch light lunch broomhill station buffet car run by volunteers rolling stock step back in time return journey dining car santa train waiting room tv series
Reviewed 21 September 2017

A must do! Like going back in time, I felt like Miss Marple. If going, I suggest you do the lunch! Go

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Enjoyable experience with enthusiastic, friendly staff. The best views are on the right hand side for Aviemore departures.

1  Thank AndyPlusJan
Reviewed 20 September 2017

I am a regular visitor to heritage railways around the UK and work as a volunteer on one in the east midlands of England so I feel I have some experience to comment.

We arrived by road at Boat of Garten (mid point on the line) and found a lovely attractive station. Parking was free and easy to find. We bought tickets but were off put by the booking office staff who were disparaging about things to see at their Aviemore station. "You'll see it all in two minutes" was hardly inviting. We were told that we could ride behind two engines that day as the Sunday lunch service was in operation.
Train arrived (super Caledonian steam engine) and we set off to Aviemore. Average scenery but clean coaches. Aviemore didn't have much to see on the station and we didn't have time to go off the station to visit the town.
Engines changed over and we finished off the rest of the round trip arriving back in Boat of Garten.

The station staff had kindly arranged for me to visit one of the two signalboxes (I am a signal manager on my home line) and it was very good to see. Never been in a Scottish Railway SB before. However the signalman quickly moaned and "dissed" the signalling technicians on the line and was disparaging about other signalmen.

Overall I think a pretty line but not much to see and the railway needs to look at the way it works internally and improve "team culture". Potentially they could do a lot better.

Oh....and I didn't see any café facilities anywhere on the railway apart from a small on-train bar. But the Sunday Dining Special train looked wonderful.

1  Thank Heandher
Reviewed 18 September 2017

As we were staying in the Strathspey Hotel in the Aviemore Centre we thought we would spend some of the morning on the steam railway. The carriages gradually filled up and were at capacity when the whistle blew to tell us we would soon be underway. Wonderful to enjoy the sounds, sights and smells of steam once more in this superb trip down memory lane.

Reviewed 16 September 2017

What a lovely trip especially when sun is shining and that's unfortunately not often. Train staff are lovely with even the Trolley Dolly saying she is not a trolley dolly but a dragon with a wagon. Try the Rock Gin and Fever Tonic. Great Scottish Gin a god change from your we Whiskey . Scenery on trip great regardless of the weather . Good trip