“Well run establishment”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Aviemore
Darwen, United Kingdom
“Well run establishment”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the Cairngorm Hotel at the beginning and having completed the Speyside Way. The first night was the night of the European Cup Final and also the Heineken Cup rugby final. The hotel was packed. We only waited some twenty minutes for a table. Our food order was taken almost immediately and our drinks arrived within a blink of an eye. We thought the staff were extremely efficient and very friendly in all departments. Although the rooms we had were a little on the small side, the beds were really comfortable. We were also allowed to leave our car to the rear of the hotel while we did our walk without charge. After leaving the hotel we realized that we had left a sweater in the wardrobe of our bedroom. We contacted the hotel by telephone to report it. The sweater arrived at our home within 48hours. Overall, the hotel provided excellent service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for one night in a family room, when we arrived the place was busy and was easy to park etc. The check in lady was lovely and when we saw our family room our daughter was soo happy to be sleeping in the princess turret! After being in the room 15 mins it became apparent that we heard everything from next doors bathroom, effectively their bathroom was in our room, so we firstly heard them run a bath, shortly after the husband/partner took a shower and we had a wee giggle when my husband tapped on the wall saying its just a partition, the person in the shower shouted hello? Was very funny but this is where the novelty ran out for me. The room is good, few power points and I would say it is of 3 stars at best. The shower sounds much like a jet engine and you really have the just put up with it being scorching hot one minute to freezing cold the next. I would not recommend putting a child in the shower for that reason. We had a lovey dinner in the restaurant, very good all rounder menu with something good for the kids too. This is where again the staff have pushed up my review score. Even though the place was heaving and there was a wait for a table the host remembered us and spoke to our child too. The waitress was very friendly and super helpful and accommodating. I would recommend this hotel solely on the staff. So during our meal there was a piper outside and that just added to the night! Nice touch! After dinner it was late so we went to bed. Aviemore seems to be the party capital of Scotland! The shouting and reveling went on till after 5 am! I heard all of it. The room was also extremely hot and at one point I thought the radiators where going to come on, I heard a lot of clanging around the pipes and I ran to check they were turned off. I am normally a really cold person and like being warm but this was really stiflingly hot. I couldn't open the window due to the party noise going on. A real shame but I hardly got any sleep. Am a light sleeper and if you are too I would recommend asking for a room at the back of the hotel. The breakfast in the morning was good, I have to say the staff here were very efficient and super friendly too and really cheered me up after my terrifying shower and lack of sleep. There was also this loud vibrating sound from around 8am at first I thought maybe the people next door had left their phone in the bathroom on silent but it wasn't that because the buzzing became less uniform after a while. The breakfast choice is large and is cooked well. I am however sad to say we can't stay here again because I know I won't get any sleep. If you have been walking up the mountain or doing some sort of tire you out activity then you will no doubt sleep perfectly in this hotel.

Room Tip: I was in room 204
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Simone N
St Andrews, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spent 3days at the Cairngorm in May, we were pleased with our rooms, and the food was excellent. There was a good selection of hot and cold breakfast, and the evening meal was good too, especially the buffet on the Thursday night, there was a huge variety, with something for everyone. The staff were always friendly and helpful, and the cost of the 3day stay was very reasonable. Even the weather was kind to us, we will certainly be back!

Room Tip: We had rooms at the front, which looked out over the mountains, and although the road was there, we...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Kemnay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The staff are very helpful and informative and they offer great service to everyone. The food and bar area are excellent, well worth a visit when in this area. We were lucky and had a great weekend with the weather, and made good use of their beer garden facilities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
alliston
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It's hard to fault this hotel on most things. The rooms, food, location, decor were all good.
The speed and efficiency of the service was excellent. The entire staff though, was completely disengaged. It was the oddest experience, nobody smiled, chatted or even said good morning. I don't know if there was some kind of work to rule? it was everyone: Front desk, bar, restaurant, maids etc. Most other places we stayed and ate at were over the top friendly and engaging which made this really stand out. Although I'd like to recommend this place because it does have so much going for it, I can't.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Brilliant place to visit in the Highlands - sometimes when you enter you think - Oh no - its busy - it will be awful - but hey presto it is like a finely oiled machine - you are welcomed sat down - menus handed - drinks ordered in the blink of an eye - then time to choose your lovely meal, be it a snack or full meal - or their lovely super sandwiches - they are always a favourite of mine...... They appear so quickly even when busy - the staff are so efficient they always amaze me - Great choice on the menu always something for everybody - Ok the prices are creeping up like everywhere - but we always say the quality is so good and service excellent - will return time and time again as we do now.....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We went for dinner twice in the hotel while in aviemore on a short break. The food was very good, decent pub grub and our waiter was lovely, very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this place for food.

• Stayed May 2014