“Good Quality and Plenty of it!”

The Cairngorm Hotel
Ranked #5 of 64 Restaurants in Aviemore
Price range: US$13 - US$19
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Harwich, United Kingdom
“Good Quality and Plenty of it!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We ate here twice while we were in Aviemore, and visited the hotel bar on a few occasions also!

The menu is a good mix of pub grub (of a high standard) and traditional Scottish meals. Its get very busy in the evenings and you cant book in advance, so be prepared to wait in the bar until a table is ready, although that is no problem as far as we were concerned.

The second time we ate was a Thursday and we went for the Highland Buffet. The different Scottish dishes were all amazing and we struggles to walk back to our cabin afterwards.

The hotel is right bang in the centre of Aviemore, opposite the train station, you cant miss it.

Great friendly staff who really look after their customers, lovely atmosphere and traditional music in the bar most evenings.

We also loved the piper who performed in the car park every evening.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Finnish first
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We ended up eating here a few times as everything about it was brilliant. Service was excellent. Menu was a mix of traditional Scot and other dishes. Atmosphere was wonderful. They even had a menu that "won't-eat-nothing" son would dig into. Two thumbs up!

Visited August 2014
england
“excellent lunch value”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Recommended by the lady in Waterstones book store this turned out to be right on the money. My wife and I were looking for a light lunch, what we got was a feast, 2 meals and 2 drinks for £12 great value. The soup I had came with 2 large chunks of fresh bread and enough butter to kill any normal person. My wife's sandwiches were simply humongous. Other meals I observed being served looked to be good quality and of the large portion variety.
The staff were all excellent quick and polite.
We were on holiday otherwise I would definitely eat here on a regular basis.

Inverness, United Kingdom
“The finest in the Highlands”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I would always recommend this restaurant I have a long history going back with it I used to live in Aviemore and my Dad used to drink in the 'Cairn' lounge bar. Very resonable priced rooms for the location, £59 per night as of August 2014 although I don't think the rooms have wifi, and that's pretty much a necessity these days :P

Food is great, I had french onion soup and there was a big lump of cheesy bread in the middle. I wouldn't worry about how the staff treat you, as in most bars, restaurants, hotels these days, they treat you the same. Unless they know you personally you are subhuman to them.

Was a bit pricey though by usual pub standard a bowl of soup and a pint of coke was roughly £6.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very very disappointed”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My daughter and I had a dinner here. Highly disappointed!!! We had a very odd waiter (ROB) making me feel very uncomfortable.
He was rude and without smile all the dinner. The food was ok but I couldn't finish it because I just wanted to leave quick.
I paid without leave tips.

Visited August 2014