“Unfriendly owners bordering on rude”
Review of The Slaters Arms

The Slaters Arms
Ranked #7 of 11 Restaurants in Beauly
Cuisines: Scottish, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our opening hours are Monday to Sunday 12 noon to 10 p.m.
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We visited the Slater Arms a coupleof months ago and debated about leaving a review.

We have visited this establishment on many occasions whilst walking in Glen Affric. We have always felt that the female owner has been less than friendly most times that we have visited but did not detract from the experience due to the friendliness of the male owner.

However, on this occasion we hardly got a smile, word of welcome or acknowledgement when we left from either owner. They were the same with other customers and with people who had just arrived to stay in their self catering cabins.

On reading the owner's comments about being tired etc at the end of a long hard season maybe they should close the establishment for a few weeks to recharge like the Cnoc Hotel further up the glen does every November.

We visit the Glen Affric area every couple of months but will not visit here again.

We have never been to the Glen Affric bar so cannot comment but we would recommend the aforementioned Cnoc Hotel and the Struy Inn. Both establishlents have welcoming owners & staff.

2  Thank TheFamilyBear

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I visited the Slaters Arms twice during my stay in Inverness-shire. The first time was after walking 6 miles to Cannich in the rain one afternoon. I found the atmosphere to be very festive with Christmas lights, extremely hospitable owners, friendly cocker spaniels and a toasty fireplace. The food and cappuccino came hot and delicious. To my surprise, I found it easy to forget that I was soaking wet. The second time I visited the Slaters Arms was almost like coming home. I actually walked out of my way after having had a very long day of climbing and tekking to go to the Slaters Arms because I knew I'd feel like I was entering a familiar place upon walking through the door. It being a Sunday, there were no buses running from Cannich to Dromnadrochit. Although I honestly had not planned very well, they were forgiving and organized a way to get me home. This was a life saver given that my hostel was a 6 mile trek away and since it was raining. I can honestly say this restaurant was more than just food and drink for me. I would recommend the Slater Arms to any humble traveler looking for good conversation with locals and a comfy atmosphere, not to mention good food!

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

The area is totally beautiful but i am reviewing the pub. Didn't eat there so cannot comment on food, beer tasted ok. Quite a pretty pub with a nice fire. The dogs were lovely but sadly were the only greeting we got. Found the owners to be rude, abrupt and cold. Actually heard the lady owner say to husband she needed to turn the television up because 'these lot were talking too loudly', talking about me and my friends having a conversation. We weren't exactly shouting and there was a total of 5 people in the place ! This was our local for a week but we decided to stay in most of the time or go to the struy inn where we got a nice greeting and good food. I appreciate that close of season is a tough time for local pubs but maybe a little welcome wouldn't go amiss. . . Or maybe it's because we are English ??

4  Thank Cally1234
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stopped here for lunch On our way to the falls. We had a curry which was very good and a pie which was also very good.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife and i were on our way from Urquhart Castle to Glen Affric. We stopped at the Slaters Arms, where we were the crowd (such is travel off season). I had their Thai green curry, waiting with low expectations given the casual appearance of the room (it's probably more of a pub than restaurant). To my happy surprise, the curry was superb! The couple who run the restaurant were quiet and discrete, but the food deserves notice. Recommended for better than average pub food.