“Bad experience.”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Beauly
Clackmannanshire. Scotland.
“Bad experience.”
Reviewed 27 July 2008

When we arrived at the Lovat Arms Hotel we were told very abruptly by the receptionist that we were in the annexe at the back of the hotel. This turned out to be a house completely separate from the hotel building. It smelt badly of smoke. Our room and ensuite were very disappointing and dingy. Our view from the window was of the wheelie bins and the back door area of the hotel. In the morning we had to make our way out onto the street and walk round the hotel to the front door in order to get our breakfast. The breakfast was the poorest that we have ever had in any hotel that we have stayed in. Because of the warm weather the bedroom window was wide open, and when we returned to our room the cleaners were out in the hotel back yard emptying buckets etc., Their language was so bad that we decided that we were not staying any longer at this hotel. It was a bad experience from start to finish. We won't be back.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Kent
Reviewed 9 July 2008

We had a 5 night stay at the Lovat Arms Hotel, Beauly and overall we were disappointed. On the plus side we were given a large, comfortable and clean double room. We found service at mealtimes though to be haphazard, hampered by the fact that some staff spoke little English. The Strupag Brasserie is basically a lounge bar offering what we felt was pretty standard pub grub, with breakfast being served in the hotel’s large dining room (otherwise reserved for functions). On busier days staff sometimes struggled to cope with breakfast orders and one morning the guide for a large party complained very loudly and publicly about the long waiting time. On quieter days the breakfast buffet selection was limited - no cheese or eggs, though there was a type of cold luncheon meat. On the last three evenings of our stay we ate out. Once at the nearby tandoori restaurant which we thought was good and, on the last two evenings, at the dining room of the Priory Hotel across the square. Here we found excellent food and prompt and efficient service – everything in fact we had hoped we might find at the Lovat Arms.

• Liked — comfortable and clean room
  • Disliked — haphazard service
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Beauly hotels

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Basically I arrived at this hotel after an 8 hour long drive from Edinburgh. I was really hungry, but wanted to take a shower before having dinner. However, the lady at the reception told me that dinner is served between 7 and 9 pm. and that after that time I wouldn't be able to get any food. So, I decided to take a shower after dinner. When I got to the restaurant I was told that I had 2 choices, either pay 35 pounds for a fixed menu, or wait for at least 30 min. for a seat at the bar. Well, the problem with the fixed menu was that I'm a vegetarian, but most dishes had meat in them. So I decided to wait in the lounge area, where they have couches and small tables. After about 30 min. a waiter came up to me and said that I could eat where I was sitting. Then why the hell had I been waiting for so long??? I ordered a main course, which was OK I guess, nothing special, and asked an older waitress who came to clean up the table to bring the dessert menu. Well it's been 40 min. and I'm still sitting here. I decided to just get a check and signaled yet another waitress, who I thought was looking directly at me, at least three times, but she pretended not to see me.

I guess, the older woman suffers from Alzhimers, while the younger one is blind! It's a house of invalids.

Let's see how the rest of the stay goes.

• Liked — Location, views
  • Disliked — terrible service at the restaurant, average overpriced food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 17 September 2007

Lovat Arms is a traditional Scottish hotel with a great location. Overall our experience was positive. Staff was helpful, but more than once we had trouble communicating because their English was minimal. Our big problem was that our room was relatively small, and the bathroom was exceptionally small. In order to move around the bathroom comfortably, the door had to be left open. THere were also mold stains on the ceiling and corners, and the walls were rather dusty. Our friends who also stayed at this hotel had a larger room and bathroom, so I would definitely suggest that someone who books a room here ask for a room with large bathroom.

The town of Beauly is lovely, and the surrounding area is beautiful. This a great location to explore the Scottish highlands.

Breakfast was plentiful, tasty, and included everything you could possibly want for breakfast.

We also ate one night at the hotel's bar/restaurant and this was a positive experience. The food and service were good and the price was fair.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The price was too high and the bathroom too small
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 July 2005

We stayed here in early July on the 2nd leg of a trip around the UK. The hotel is about 10 miles outside Inverness in a tiny village with a good selection of shops within about 2 minutes walk.

The hotel has a definate charm as it's decorated with lots of tartan and pictures of splendid looking old clans men which will probably appeal to a wide audience. It was also very, very busy with lots of happy looking people which is just what you want to see at a hotel.

Staff at this hotel are very polite and efficient particularly in the bar and restaurant, in fact you never wait more than a minute for attention even when they appear busy.

We had breakfast on 2 of the 3 mornings and it was a full cooked breakfast which was very, very tasty including lots of toast and tea by the pot! What a great start to the day!! We also had dinner one evening in the bar and it was very good too, generous portions, tasty and very well presented and all for under a tenner per head which was great (that includes drinks!) On the one night we ventured out for dinner locally we found a tandoori which we would not recommend you visit unless you really can't find something to eat in the hotel.

The room was large and covered in tartan, so you definately knew you were in Scotland. Cleanliness was excellent throughout.

Check in and out is swift and efficient and we even had our bags carried to the car without a mention! That's service!

All in all we spent 3 nights here and if we return to this area of Scotland then we would probably use again. So if you are visiting the Inverness area give this hotel a try for value, cleanliness and a real Scottish flavour.

• Stayed July 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beauly
Priory Hotel
#2 of 2 in Fort Augustus
Chrialdon House
Chrialdon House
#1 of 10 in Beauly

Been to Lovat Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!