“A return visit..........”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beauly
Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Beauly
York, United Kingdom
“A return visit..........”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I first came here in 2009 with my wife and daughter; and returned with my son in law last week.

I have read all the reviews between the two visits. The important thing to remember here, is to take a view for the Caley for what it actually is. IMHO it is a Highland Hotel that quite simply knows how to practice good hospitality.

You can snag the fixtures and fittings if you wish, and you would be justified to do so with the other [two] coach staging posts in the village where people come and go. Here, you are welcomed as a person and well and truly looked after.

We were well fed with a good breakfast and the owner [Iain] cooked some superb home cooked meals in the evenings.

I am a former British Army Officer of Field Rank and have domiciled in Officers Messes in the UK and Europe. I can honestly say that in terms of offering good hospitality, comfort, value for money and a genuine and warm welcome, this is a bench mark.

I wasn't looking at the fittings and fiixtures, only the people, the food and the gemutlichkeit of the visit.

Well done to Iain and Cath Campbell; you have a gem of a place, and my family look forward to our next visit soonest,

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the Village square. Pipers on Thursday evenings.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tyke940

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
cotswolds
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I have stayed at the Caledonian Hotel several times over the past 12 years or so and I love the place. Rooms are clean and comfortable, food is great and everyone is friendly, including the locals at the bar. Note that this hotel is not suitable for those who like their accommodation bland and characterless.

Room Tip: Chat to the locals in the bar and get to experience the real rural life Scotland.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank cotswoldstreker
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family and I were supposed to have the family room, but the owner insisted he never received our booking but he did receive our credit card number to keep a room... hmmmm??? So, our three young children were given a room down the hall from us and I warned them not to walk barefoot or put anything of theirs on the floor lest they be contaminated by the filth of the room. My husband and I were given our room which smelled like wet dogs. It was so disgusting that we went out and bought candles to try to mask the smell... well, it didn't work. I was scared to walk barefoot or touch anything. In all honesty, the owner wasn't so bad until we asked for a discount for them screwing up the family room; he wanted to charge us double for two rooms although it was his mistake. Even the beer was stale! I wanted to disinfect myself the minute I left. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
16 Thank ptyjane

Travellers are raving about these Beauly hotels

Edinburgh
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The exterior of this hotel promises very little, sadly the interior fails to live up to even that promise.
The owner informed me that his father bought the hotel in 1950. This would appear to be the last time anyone spent any money on the place. I didn't learn much from him after that as on hearing my English accent he didn't speak to me again. I wonder if his prejudice would have remained had he learnt that despite being brought up in England my family has been traced back to the Battle of Culloden (on the Scottish side - before you ask)? Probably not, as he struck me as the sort of person who was much more interested in what he had to say than anyone else.
The interior of the hotel is shabby. I note previous reviewers describing the place as having character, but I have stayed in many characterful places that achieved the effect without being dingy and tired. Downstairs the rooms lack any imagination and reflect the fact that the owners put no more thought into running the place than opening the doors. The furniture is old and cheap, the walls adorned by nasty pictures and the whole place is crying out for a lick of paint.
Upstairs the narrow corridors are home to uneven floorboards covered with old, threadbare carpets. Maybe the lack of pictures or decoration is due to a worry that passing shoulders would be constantly knocking them off their hooks?
When we eventually arrived at our room, after negotiating what felt like a mile of twisting passageways designed to disorientate kidnap victims, we were quite literally speechless. If you have seen the film "The silence of the lambs" then you would get a creepy sense of deja-vu from our room. Even in all my wild days of youth I don't remember a prison cell quite as lacking in warmth or personality as this room. In fact our whole stay could be described as resembling a sentence.
The TV didn't work - not that I stay in hotels to watch TV, I actually watch little TV in general - but if I were to put a TV set in a room I would at least ensure it worked, just in case someone wanted to watch something. Heaven knows there was precious little else to distract one in this establishment.
I have to be fair and report that the room was clean, including the bathroom, and there was no shortage of hot water.
Unlike previous reviewers I did not notice a pervading smell of dog excreta, but I have dogs myself so am arguably more accustomed to these things. In fact, compared to the boorish owner, I found his dog quite charming.
We didn't eat here.
In the morning we were aware of the shop below, although not woken by it. The morning is a bit of a blur as we were in no desire to stay longer than necessary.
I would not stay here again but would go to the Priory which, by all accounts, is far superior and not very much more expensive.
In summary, I find it disheartening that this place will, for some, be their only experience of a Highland hotel. The rest of the industry has to work twice as hard just to try and overcome the damage places like the Caledonian do to the reputation of Scottish hotels.

Room Tip: Take any available room, just make sure it's in a different hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
14 Thank boogle13
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

As soon as I arrived alarm bells started ringing in my head! Reception was hidden in the back of the hotel, very dark and dingy, dogs kicking about, wonky floor boards, musty smells, zero welcome.
Shown to bedroom, smell of unine hit me like a ton of bricks, woman asked me if I was "staying for dinner"? Yeah Right. Bed sheets were clean but I couldn't relax or unpack my stuff. Headed across the road to the Priory Hotel to make sure they had availability then returned to the Caledonian to explain i wasnt staying. Manageress said she couldn't smell anything. I was gone!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
15 Thank BusinessUser82
Shetland
Reviewed 7 August 2011

There's a parrot and two dogs. If you don't like parrots or dogs, don't book.

The Campbells are great, friendly traditional and legendary Highland hosts. Clean sheets, towels and full-on, freshly cooked proper breakfasts. The cover of Blazing Fiddles' last album was shot here and the upstairs lounge, one of the last traditional licensed family lounges in the country (think traditional Irish house bars) is a famous venue for music sessions. Good prices for Macallan too.

It's not for everyone. If you're someone who feels happy in a Travelodge or Holiday Inn Express you won't get on well here. But I really liked it. And Beauly is amazing, especially the tweed shop.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Zetlandic
London
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Filthy, stinking, tired and dangerous. The electrics are out badly out dated. The furnishings are old and worn out and carpets thread bear. The owner Ian Campbell is equally filthy. Dressed like a tramp and wearing clothes that I wouldn't give to charity. He takes deposits off people via credit card who then learn when they arrive that this is the most awful place in town. If they don't stay he is quite happy with the deposits apparently. There are many B&B's here not advertised. take my advice do NOT stay here, it is the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to go. What must our European cousins who get duped think of us? Its a disgrace to civilized values. He is notorious in the village. Take a chance and book a local B&B or simply book elsewhere. Seriously this in not a joke.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank Hotel_Inspector56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beauly
Lovat Arms Hotel
#1 of 10 in Beauly
Viewbank B&B
Viewbank B&B
#8 of 10 in Beauly

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!