“Very homely, lovely people.”
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beauly
Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Beauly
Reviewed 6 October 2012

When I read the reviews for this hotel I felt a bit hesitant about staying there, yes it's a bit dated but that only added to the charm of the place. I have never met any hoteliers so obliging as Iain & Cathy. They were wonderful hosts & made us feel very welcome.The breakfast was lovely & Iain made whatever you fancied. Unfortunately my partner Frank had to be taken to hospital, he had a hip replacement a few months ago & the joint popped out. Iain drove Franks Mum, his Brother & myself to the hospital the next day & when we had to come home & leave Frank in hospital they went in the following day to visit him. They took books in for him to read & asked if he needed anything.They even offered to let him stay at the hotel if he was discharged before anyone could go up thereto pick him up.We were really touched by their generosity. Some of the reviews I feel were uncalled for & were very personal.They are a lovely couple. We would definately go back there. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the place. The room we had was spacious, the bed was really comfortable & I had the best nights sleep in ages. There wasn't a shortage of hot water or towels. If you want good old Scottish hospitality with a personal touch then Iain & Cathy will make you very welcome.

Room Tip: Room 5 was bright & spacious with a double bed & a single.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Marina179

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Third time that we are staying at the Caley. Yes, it's not atiseptic. Because it is run by real people. We always feel very welcome. And it's aquestion of how you behave as this behavior is being returned. We love the food there and always had enough and what we wanted.
I cannot understand why people get so personally insulting in their reviews.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Birgit G
Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

My stay at the hotel was great! From the moment we enterd the hotel, we were treat like family and really looked after throughout our stay.

The rooms were clean, tidy, and fully equiped for all my needs. This follwed on throughout the hotel.

The food was fantastic, we ate our evening meals at the hotel and had a differnt scottish dish every night at very resonable prices. Breakfast was also very good quality and service was brill! The owners reallly were lovely genuine people with cant do enough to help attitude! This hotel is an aquired taste its traditional and has charector! we are planning our next visit to the highlands and we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank catherine130388
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I first came here in 2009 with my wife and daughter; and returned with my son in law last week.

I have read all the reviews between the two visits. The important thing to remember here, is to take a view for the Caley for what it actually is. IMHO it is a Highland Hotel that quite simply knows how to practice good hospitality.

You can snag the fixtures and fittings if you wish, and you would be justified to do so with the other [two] coach staging posts in the village where people come and go. Here, you are welcomed as a person and well and truly looked after.

We were well fed with a good breakfast and the owner [Iain] cooked some superb home cooked meals in the evenings.

I am a former British Army Officer of Field Rank and have domiciled in Officers Messes in the UK and Europe. I can honestly say that in terms of offering good hospitality, comfort, value for money and a genuine and warm welcome, this is a bench mark.

I wasn't looking at the fittings and fiixtures, only the people, the food and the gemutlichkeit of the visit.

Well done to Iain and Cath Campbell; you have a gem of a place, and my family look forward to our next visit soonest,

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the Village square. Pipers on Thursday evenings.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank tyke940
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I have stayed at the Caledonian Hotel several times over the past 12 years or so and I love the place. Rooms are clean and comfortable, food is great and everyone is friendly, including the locals at the bar. Note that this hotel is not suitable for those who like their accommodation bland and characterless.

Room Tip: Chat to the locals in the bar and get to experience the real rural life Scotland.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank cotswoldstreker
Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family and I were supposed to have the family room, but the owner insisted he never received our booking but he did receive our credit card number to keep a room... hmmmm??? So, our three young children were given a room down the hall from us and I warned them not to walk barefoot or put anything of theirs on the floor lest they be contaminated by the filth of the room. My husband and I were given our room which smelled like wet dogs. It was so disgusting that we went out and bought candles to try to mask the smell... well, it didn't work. I was scared to walk barefoot or touch anything. In all honesty, the owner wasn't so bad until we asked for a discount for them screwing up the family room; he wanted to charge us double for two rooms although it was his mistake. Even the beer was stale! I wanted to disinfect myself the minute I left. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
16  Thank ptyjane
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The exterior of this hotel promises very little, sadly the interior fails to live up to even that promise.
The owner informed me that his father bought the hotel in 1950. This would appear to be the last time anyone spent any money on the place. I didn't learn much from him after that as on hearing my English accent he didn't speak to me again. I wonder if his prejudice would have remained had he learnt that despite being brought up in England my family has been traced back to the Battle of Culloden (on the Scottish side - before you ask)? Probably not, as he struck me as the sort of person who was much more interested in what he had to say than anyone else.
The interior of the hotel is shabby. I note previous reviewers describing the place as having character, but I have stayed in many characterful places that achieved the effect without being dingy and tired. Downstairs the rooms lack any imagination and reflect the fact that the owners put no more thought into running the place than opening the doors. The furniture is old and cheap, the walls adorned by nasty pictures and the whole place is crying out for a lick of paint.
Upstairs the narrow corridors are home to uneven floorboards covered with old, threadbare carpets. Maybe the lack of pictures or decoration is due to a worry that passing shoulders would be constantly knocking them off their hooks?
When we eventually arrived at our room, after negotiating what felt like a mile of twisting passageways designed to disorientate kidnap victims, we were quite literally speechless. If you have seen the film "The silence of the lambs" then you would get a creepy sense of deja-vu from our room. Even in all my wild days of youth I don't remember a prison cell quite as lacking in warmth or personality as this room. In fact our whole stay could be described as resembling a sentence.
The TV didn't work - not that I stay in hotels to watch TV, I actually watch little TV in general - but if I were to put a TV set in a room I would at least ensure it worked, just in case someone wanted to watch something. Heaven knows there was precious little else to distract one in this establishment.
I have to be fair and report that the room was clean, including the bathroom, and there was no shortage of hot water.
Unlike previous reviewers I did not notice a pervading smell of dog excreta, but I have dogs myself so am arguably more accustomed to these things. In fact, compared to the boorish owner, I found his dog quite charming.
We didn't eat here.
In the morning we were aware of the shop below, although not woken by it. The morning is a bit of a blur as we were in no desire to stay longer than necessary.
I would not stay here again but would go to the Priory which, by all accounts, is far superior and not very much more expensive.
In summary, I find it disheartening that this place will, for some, be their only experience of a Highland hotel. The rest of the industry has to work twice as hard just to try and overcome the damage places like the Caledonian do to the reputation of Scottish hotels.

Room Tip: Take any available room, just make sure it's in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple