“Friendly family run hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caledonian Hotel

Caledonian Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Beauly
Caledonian Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Beauly
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Friendly family run hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Don't expect 5 star hotel but Ian & Cath were wonderful hosts - our room was both clean and had a lovely view over the square.
I have read some of the personally insulting reviews about the owners which were shocking and the reviewers should be ashamed of themselves.
Owners, guests, Ian's big breakfast, the dogs - we salute you

Thanks
Bill, Margaret, Cha & Baxter

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Bill G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

My partner and I had an urgent requirement to stay in Beauly, and on checking the internet, this was the only accommodation available for the period we required.

When we arrived, we were met by a member of staff who gave us our key and took us up to our en-suite room (room 5) which was bright and airy, and had a plentiful supply of fresh towels etc. We met the owners, Ian and Kath later in the afternoon, and they were most welcoming, and very helpful throughout our stay, and both were extremely knowledgeable about the local/surrounding areas.

An evening in the lounge bar was most enjoyable, the locals were all very friendly, and all the drinks were of excellent quality, and very reasonably priced.

I can accept that people look for different things in a hotel, and would always encourage open, honest and reasonable reporting, but some of the reviews on this site are both personally insulting and derogatory in the opinions expressed about the owners, and certainly do not reflect the real people as I met them.

The Caledonian is an old listed building, and as such, does have narrow passages (by todays standards) creaky floorboards, all of which add character to the property, and as one of he previous comments advises, 'if you want a sanitized impersonal hotel, this is not for you', but if you want genuine helpful people, enjoy freshly cooked food to order (especially Ian's breakfast)and a good nights sleep, then this ticks all the boxes.

Room Tip: Room 5 Looks over the Square, and an accordionist and pipe-band play on a Thursday evening.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank michieg121
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

A hotel which is dated in appearance, but, big on comfort and hospitality. Kathy and Iain are first class hosts, from initial contact, through to leaving.
I had the unfortunate experience of dislocating my hip while there, and they looked after my 84 year old mother, like one of their own. I was taken to hospital in Inverness, and they brought the remainder of my party to visit, and even came to see me the following day, and offered to look after me at no expense, until i was recovered enough to make the journey home. As previously said, the hotel itself is pretty dated, but the rooms are well equipped, and very, very comfortable, and reasonably priced. I would have no hesitation in returning to stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Frank M
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

When I read the reviews for this hotel I felt a bit hesitant about staying there, yes it's a bit dated but that only added to the charm of the place. I have never met any hoteliers so obliging as Iain & Cathy. They were wonderful hosts & made us feel very welcome.The breakfast was lovely & Iain made whatever you fancied. Unfortunately my partner Frank had to be taken to hospital, he had a hip replacement a few months ago & the joint popped out. Iain drove Franks Mum, his Brother & myself to the hospital the next day & when we had to come home & leave Frank in hospital they went in the following day to visit him. They took books in for him to read & asked if he needed anything.They even offered to let him stay at the hotel if he was discharged before anyone could go up thereto pick him up.We were really touched by their generosity. Some of the reviews I feel were uncalled for & were very personal.They are a lovely couple. We would definately go back there. We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the place. The room we had was spacious, the bed was really comfortable & I had the best nights sleep in ages. There wasn't a shortage of hot water or towels. If you want good old Scottish hospitality with a personal touch then Iain & Cathy will make you very welcome.

Room Tip: Room 5 was bright & spacious with a double bed & a single.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Marina179
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2012

Third time that we are staying at the Caley. Yes, it's not atiseptic. Because it is run by real people. We always feel very welcome. And it's aquestion of how you behave as this behavior is being returned. We love the food there and always had enough and what we wanted.
I cannot understand why people get so personally insulting in their reviews.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Birgit G
leeds, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

My stay at the hotel was great! From the moment we enterd the hotel, we were treat like family and really looked after throughout our stay.

The rooms were clean, tidy, and fully equiped for all my needs. This follwed on throughout the hotel.

The food was fantastic, we ate our evening meals at the hotel and had a differnt scottish dish every night at very resonable prices. Breakfast was also very good quality and service was brill! The owners reallly were lovely genuine people with cant do enough to help attitude! This hotel is an aquired taste its traditional and has charector! we are planning our next visit to the highlands and we will be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank catherine130388
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

I first came here in 2009 with my wife and daughter; and returned with my son in law last week.

I have read all the reviews between the two visits. The important thing to remember here, is to take a view for the Caley for what it actually is. IMHO it is a Highland Hotel that quite simply knows how to practice good hospitality.

You can snag the fixtures and fittings if you wish, and you would be justified to do so with the other [two] coach staging posts in the village where people come and go. Here, you are welcomed as a person and well and truly looked after.

We were well fed with a good breakfast and the owner [Iain] cooked some superb home cooked meals in the evenings.

I am a former British Army Officer of Field Rank and have domiciled in Officers Messes in the UK and Europe. I can honestly say that in terms of offering good hospitality, comfort, value for money and a genuine and warm welcome, this is a bench mark.

I wasn't looking at the fittings and fiixtures, only the people, the food and the gemutlichkeit of the visit.

Well done to Iain and Cath Campbell; you have a gem of a place, and my family look forward to our next visit soonest,

Room Tip: Most rooms overlook the Village square. Pipers on Thursday evenings.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tyke940
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beauly
Lovat Arms Hotel
#1 of 11 in Beauly
Viewbank B&B
Viewbank B&B
#8 of 11 in Beauly

Been to Caledonian Hotel? Share your experiences!