“OUT OF BODY EXPERIENCE”
Review of Eagle Brae

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beauly
Eagle Brae
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife died of cancer 7 years ago and we had always planned on going to scotland as we had never been and had heard how beautiful it was up there . Alas we never did manage it but I vowed that when I had recovered a little from my tragic loss I would go to Scotland but it would have to be a very special place .Well I decided that this year was the year I would go on my 66th birthday I am a great believer in fate and so when I came across Eagle Brae it was as if fate had intervened I took my daughter and 14 year of grandson this May and what a holiday we had I travelled by car all the way up from Hastings on the South Coast practically the whole length of the country but it was so worth it The cabin was sumptuous like a five star hotel and I have stayed in a few of those The views were breath taking from the patio overlooking the valley and the River Glass One evening we had an eagle circle over the cabin and came really low, that was awesome The red deer came down each evening at 9 am We used to call it deer o clock They were so close to the cabin you could have touched them. Mike and Pawanda were brilliant hosts and nothing was too much trouble their pre cooked meals were fantastic especially my favourite the Himilayan Venison Curry I am drulling just thinking about it. We would order it on the computers intranet for the next day and then when we returned from our days outing it had been delivered ready to pop in the oven The cabin was full of beautiful little extras like the deer foot marks carved into the stairs, the massive eagle carved into the outside above the patio, the extension of one of the huge logs of the cabin to form a patio table, the bird clock that sounded a different bird each hour, the bunk beds in the mezzanine by the office computer, the stunning stags head hung high in the lounge My grandson and I went fishing on the river glass on my birthday and he caught the most beautiful 3lb brown trout which we are hoping Mike will put up on his web site. It was like having the best of both worlds the country nature but with five star comfort and modern facilities. The week was filled with exciting trips. We did the Loch Ness boat trip, went up alongside Ben Nevis with stunning views and the 9 mile scenic drive around the Isle of Skye was awesome including the tiny car ferry crossing returning back over the massive bridge. The scenery was breath taking. We went to a beautiful waterfall in the forest and all went pony trekking for two hours across beautiful highlands and streams It was the best holiday I have ever had and I have been to America, cruises to the Med and Norwegian Fjords. I hadn't appreciated the awesome splender of Scotland in our own country. My wife would have loved it and I felt close to her there. I will certainly return to Eagle Brae

Terry

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Terry S

Reviewed 8 June 2014

After reading a magazine article on Eagle Brae earlier this year we booked the first week in June. It was everything and more than we expected. The cabins are stunning. We loved the fact that these are real log cabins built the traditional way. The extra details like a fresh vase of flowers and a welcome hamper were so thoughtful. Mike and Pawana, and their team, have indeed created the ultimate self-catering holiday destination. The cabins are situated in the most amazing surroundings and the scenery is breathtaking. We would come back to the cabin after a day's hillwalking, fishing or even just exploring the surrounding area and sit on our veranda with a glass of wine and the only sound was birdsong. You can do as much or as little as you want on this holiday. We also visited Inverness and Spey Bay and were lucky enough to see some dolphins and an osprey. The Commando memorial is a couple of hours drive away at Spean Bridge but worth a visit. Mike and Pawana were so helpful and told us all about the many walks, activites and places of interest. We honestly cannot praise them highly enough. Pop into reception for a coffee and a chat with Colin if he's there. He's a character and always had a story and was a source of information. The wildlife was not wasted on me. I made sure my camera was always charged and ready to capture whatever appeared. It took me a few days to photograph the greater spotted woodpecker, but I got it! Deer, buzzards, jays and ....well I could go on but please don't take my word for it, go and see this place for yourself. You will not be disappointed. We really did not want to leave and are already planning our next trip.

Room Tip: All the cabins are amazing. We stayed in Sylvia (2 people). Try at least one of the pre-prepared m...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila P
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We booked 6 months in advance and drove for 10 hours to stay at Eagle Brae for a much needed excellent family holiday. That's what we had. From the minute we arrived we were in awe at the Cabins, the scenery and the surroundings.

We stayed in Aquila which was simply stunning, inside and out. I didn't want to come home. We all enjoyed seeing local wildlife on site, deers, woodpeckers, jays, buzzards, ducks, and goats, not to mention Mike and Pawana's lovely dog Kyla. All the staff were very helpful and polite and able to provide an array of information. Our children aged 6 and 2 and a half loved seeing the animals each day, as well as walking around the site and surrounding areas, going on little adventures with us. We even stayed up late to try and catch a glimpse of the Pinemarten who was trying to eat all the peanuts in our birdfeeder, we think we did spot him, but he doesn't arrive until after dark, and that can be really late!

We booked this holiday as a special trip for us all. Eagle Brae is a quality location to stay in, and as previous reviews state they will have many return visitors in coming months / years. It caters for everyone, romantic couples, retired couples, groups of friends, families and larger familes. No one is left out. You can do as little or as much as you want to do. We tended to venture out in the mornings but then we would be happy walking around the site in the afternoon, having refreshments at the Reception and then having dinner in our lovely Cabin. We could sit and watch the deers feeding, listen to the birds, and just forget the everyday stresses of work, homelife and all the other daily duties. This really was an excellent escape and I do long to return in the future.

I would like to personally thank Mike and Pawana for such a lovely location, and also to staff member Colin, who would willingly talk to us and help with any questions, as well as entertain the children during our refreshment stops. He even waved us goodbye on our early morning homeward journey.

The welcome basket was a lovely suprise in the cabin, along with some pretty fresh flowers. The arran arromatics toiletries smelt lovely and the hand made eco-soap was really zingy and refreshing. Towels were lovely and thick, and the bedding was superb egyptian cotton.

The craftmanship of each log cabin was astonishing and attention to detail was likewise. If you are thinking of booking please do, you will not be dissapointed. Certainly worth saving for and spending 10 hours in a car for. You only get one go at life, and this holiday is one of the highlights in mine.

Room Tip: Aquila has fantastic views of the surrounding area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hells101
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'm sure our review will contain nothing new by way of praise or in the use of superlatives that the 50+ reviews which precede it haven't, but I'm more than happy to add it to what will surely become a longer and longer list of 5 star ratings. I booked Loxia for our visit with the original intention of being joined by 2 x daughters, 1 x future son-in-law, my mum and 1 x 5 month old Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla. As things turned out we had company for only the first two of our seven nights. However, the cabin, with it's two log beds on the mezzanine level, would comfortably have accommodated everyone for the full period.

The quality of service, attention to detail, consideration of even the finest points can surely be second to none in self catering accommodation not only in the region or the UK, but in my opinion, in Europe and beyond. The setting is idyllic, the whole experience calming and the results of the hard work expended by Mike, Pawana, their construction team and their ongoing maintenance support team are breathtakingly plain to see.

For anyone thinking of compiling a "bucket list", make sure visiting Eagle Brae appears on there at least once!,

Room Tip: Loxia overlooks the topmost pond so expect to spend some time every morning and evening watching the...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 May 2014

It's hard to add anything new to all the positive comments on previous reviews except to say we have already booked our next stay at Eagle Brae. The whole experience is outstanding. The cabins are so comfortable and very well equipped. We really appreciated the extra touches such as having bird boxes and feeders placed just outside the cabin that attracted a wide variety of birds. The concierge meals are excellent, we soon abandoned plans to eat elsewhere as these were so good and there was nothing to beat eating in, watching the deer outside the cabin, lighting the log burner and having a cosy night in. Reception has games, books, magazines and all the information you could need. Fishing in the small loch high above Eagle Brae is recommended - the trip in the all terrain vehicle was an adventure in itself and we had a delicious trout starter that night. A range of activities are professionally organised by Eagle Brae and you can choose to partake or not. We walked,went fishing and relaxed taking in the spectacular scenery. Further afield, we went to see the dolphins on the Moray Firth - highly recommended, and took a stunning rail trip from nearby Beauly to the Kyle of Lochalsh.

Room Tip: Just book whatever is available, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Silkmen
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The experience which Mike and Pawana have created is unmatched by anything I have ever seen. a unique blend of craftsmanship, luxury, technology and the environment.
A self catering experience like no other. The buildings are amazing, the location is spectacular and the meals supplied through their concierge service is restaurant quality (do not miss the venison curry.
A relaxed atmosphere with friendly helpful staff surrounded by amazing scenery made this an unforgettable week for us. We are already planning a second trip.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pablodecattio
Reviewed 20 May 2014

As far as I can see every review of Eagle Brae has received 5 stars, but that is no surprise.

Mike and Pawana obviously had a very clear vision of what they wanted to create and they have executed it flawlessly. If I had been given a survey that asked what could be improved, or what could they add, I would find it impossible to think of anything.

The cabins are exactly as they look on the website, but even more fabulous in reality. The kitchen is better equipped than my (well equipped) kitchen at home, there's also wifi, a computer (with printer), smart widescreen TV, DVD player, bluetooth audio, etc. The bathroom with an excellent shower and lovely toiletries was delightful. Comfortable beds, luxurious sheets, bird identification guides, books and magazines to read.

There was also a welcome pack with a couple of bottles of beer, some drams of whisky, shortbread, chutney, jam.

The location is also perfect amongst probably the best scenery and wildlife in the UK.

My only regret is that it is so good that they are going to constantly be fully booked. Go now, before everyone else finds out how good it is!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TorphinsTim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beauly
Priory Hotel
Highland Bear Lodge
Highland Bear Lodge
#1 of 1 in Balnain
Pottery House Loch Ness B&B

Been to Eagle Brae? Share your experiences!