“Onced visited, you will keep returning.”
Review of Aigas Field Centre

Aigas Field Centre
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Beauly
More attraction details
Owner description: Please avoid the disappointment of being turned away. Aigas Field Centre is a residential business and not open to passing visitors. Prior booking is always required. The internationally acclaimed and award-winning field centre for the Highlands and Islands of Scotland; Aigas is a Highland estate and family home offering unsurpassed hospitality, educational holidays and wildlife experiences to residential visitors from all over the world.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Onced visited, you will keep returning.”
Reviewed 21 October 2011

This was our 3rd visit to Aigas. We stayed in a warm, comfortable wooden lodge complete with bathroom and kitchenette, which had a fridge and drink making facilities. There was a lounge within the lodge but we didn't have time to use it.

Our meals were taken together in the House of Aigas a Victorian Hunting lodge. The food was great. Although a set menu for each day, any special diet requirements were catered for. My vegetarian food was very good and I particularly enjoyed the vegetarian Haggis. My husband enjoyed all of his 'set' menu, eating every scrap. Lady Lucy Lister-Kaye is lovely, down to earth and very charming. She supervised the meals and even served the porridge several mornings.

The food was plentiful and the 4.30pm daily tea and home made cake was very popular. This was also provided on field trips which were not expected to return to Aigas in time.

Each Aigias week can have several themed holidays running at once. I did Laurie Campbell's Photography master class. Which allowed a total of 6 guests on the course. With his 30yrs as a leading Scottish Wildlife Photographer, he is a Master of his subject. I have done 2 previous, more basic Laurie courses at Aigas and whatever your skill levels, you will learn plenty from him and get some cracking photographs!

While I was doing this course, my husband was doing 'Monarchs of the Glen'. We have both done this on a previous holiday and he still enjoyed it. His guest guide was Dr. David Dixon, who is a lovely, friendly chap and a fountain of knowledge about anything to do with wildlife.

The Wildlife is great. The Aigas Loch has its own Beaver family. These are nocturnal and although they could be seen briefly, going back to their lodge at day break, the viewsof them are much better on a Spring holiday. The comfortable, warm hides at Aigas gave splendid views of pinemartin and badger and the spot light allows you to get photographs from the hides.

The friendly, highly trained rangers who accompany you on the field trips are good at spotting wildlife and we saw all the iconic Scottish wildlife like red deer, golden eagles and feral goats. Laurie took our group to the Caingorms one day and we spent hours with the reindeer herd taking photographs. They are such gentle animals.

We have previously stayed at Aigas for 2 weeks each holiday, this year we only stayed one week, spending the first week on Mull (also very good for wild life) I cannot say whether Spring or Autumn is the best time to go to Aigas. We have stayed both. Spring has the advantage of longer day light hours to view the wild life, but October has the lovely autumn colours. We haven't had midges at either of these times I am glad to say.

Will be happy to go again. Although the prices may look a little expensive, everything is included and I feel well worth the money.

Visited October 2011
AigasFieldCentre, General Manager at Aigas Field Centre, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Lynne, thank you for your review. We are always pleased to welcome you and Graham to Aigas. Your enthusiasm is infectious and your superb videos (now on the Aigas YouTube page) have been a big help to us! Come back soon.

With best wishes
Warwick

Dorset
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A fantastic experience of Nature on your doorstep with hearty meals & huge comfortable accommodation”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My early morning walk (06.00hrs) was rewarded with almost every step - seeing the Red Squirrels chasing each other up & down the huge Sequoia Redwoods while the early blackbirds awoke numerous other song birds the list would be more than 25 without trying too hard. The estate grounds are huge with your very own loch to explore. My main objective was to reach the loch-side Beaver Lodge before they all retired for the day after feeding and home building during the early hours. Approaching quietly (nobody else was up yet) I spotted the young male Beaver chewing on his last "bread stick" a freshly cut branch from his favored Aspen tree. What a picture! it sure made my day but then again every day was literally made for us all. I joined my wife and the other birding group members for strong coffee served personally by Lady Lucy as was hot porridge for those wishing to "fill up" before the days adventures. Lord John - an expert naturalist - reminded us to note & report back any "special sightings" during his pre-dinner drinks visit.
A Red Throated Diver; Black Throated Diver & Crossbill all on one day possibly impressed me rather more than him - but I am no birder. This mattered not as the fantastic group we accompanied were all very keen to share their knowledge and help us with identifying more than one hundred species during the week. Best of all was our Ranger/guide/driver/map-reader/tee coffee maker & most important qualified nursing "Tick" remover! Namely - Jenny Campbell. She was admired by us all so much that we all wanted to take her home but she would not leave AIGAS - which was no surprise.
For a wildlife experience and a chance to see Beavers Badgers & Pine Martens up close in the most tranquil & scenic country side of the Scottish Highlands
YOU MUST GO TO "AIGAS FIELD CENTRE"
Visit www.aigas.co.uk for all details and dates.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank pickytripers
AigasFieldCentre, General Manager at Aigas Field Centre, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Thank you for your very kind review and also for the fantastic photos! We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warwick Lister-Kaye
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience in the Scottish Highlands”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We spent seven days in June on the Aigas Wildlife Holiday. A very full week which gave a taste of all that the Highlands have to offer including East and West Coast, mountains, lochs, rivers forests and glens. We were able to see dolphins, otters, beavers, pine martens, red deer, eagles, ospreys and many other birds and mammals. Our accommodation was very comfortable and we received a warm welcome from all the Aigas staff. Meals were superb and plentiful. All the rangers were very knowledgeable in their field and made the trip not only enjoyable but very informative. The Aigas Estate itself was a truly magical place to visit. The downside was that the week was over far too quickly.

1 Thank MicknCatherine
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A brilliant week searching out and enjoying Scottish wildlife”
Reviewed 8 September 2011

There was plenty to see on site at Aigas, particularly the beavers and the evening visit to the pine marten hide where we had excellent views of a marten and a badger. The days out were always interesting, despite poor weather at times. The young guides were very knowledgable and enthusiastic.

Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Happy Memories”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I spent two weeks under the aegis of the Aigas Field Centre, the first week at the Centre itself and the second on the tour of the Outer Hebrides. The accomodation in the individual wooden chalets at the Centre is very comfortable and provides tea/coffee making facilities and ample hot water for a shower/bath. The home cooking is a delight; we looked forward in anticipation to the freshly baked cakes provided in the Common Room where we gathered for tea on our return from "the field".

The Rangers are relatively young university graduates, very knowledgable, enthusiastic and considerate. At 83, I am not that nimble on my feet, but I need not have worried - the Rangers that accompanied my two weeks (Ed at the Centre and Donald in the Outer Hebrides) took very good care of us all. For the most part, I would guess that the people on my two weeks were of age 50+, but the Centre does run courses for Families and Children, too.

As others have written on this page, the wildlife views on the Aigas Weeks are comprehensive and frequently close up and the Outer Hebrides tour is a wonderful mix of local and natural history, with some geomorphology thrown in for good measure. In the glens and hills local to the Centre, one is pretty well assured of excellent sightings of relative rarities that one is unlikely to find by oneself and Donald's extensive local knowledge proved invaluable in the Outer Hebrides. Excellent binoculars are available for hire at the Centre.

Highy recommended!