“Same as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aigas Field Centre

Aigas Field Centre
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Beauly
More attraction details
Owner description: Please avoid the disappointment of being turned away. Aigas Field Centre is a residential business and not open to passing visitors. Prior booking is always required. The internationally acclaimed and award-winning field centre for the Highlands and Islands of Scotland; Aigas is a Highland estate and family home offering unsurpassed hospitality, educational holidays and wildlife experiences to residential visitors from all over the world.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Northumberland, UK
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Same as usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was my second holiday at Aigas and was just as good as the last. I did the Wild Revival programme last year which was full of enjoyable experiences. I have taken up some of the crafts we covered - last Christmas everyone got candles!
Having seen how much other guests enjoyed the Wildlife programme I did that this year. The rangers took us all over the place looking for golden eagles, otters, dolphin........... The only animal I wanted to see and didn't was the white-tailed sea eagle; perhaps I will see them on my next visit.
As usual the food and accommodation were wonderful. Lucy runs a very good kitchen and tries hard to cater for food allergies, likes and dislikes, etc..
The main thing I enjoy at Aigas is meeting the other guests who are, without exception, friendly and like-minded. I travel alone but never feel alone or left out. I can be alone when I want to and mix when I want to. Another great point for solo travellers is that there is no single supplement.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank lucem

Colchester, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A great week amongst new friends hosted by great people”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The first thing that struck us was that the friendliness of the staff and hosts was still as good as it had been when we went there some three years ago. Lady Lucy's one wish seemed to be that she wanted our holiday week to be as good as possible and to that end could not do enough for us whether it was a change of menu or the need for an extra pillow. We were there for a garden and wild flower week going out in a small group with a big packed lunch we chose ourselves from a variety of items with a very knowledgeable ranger to help us with local history and names of flowers which they knew the whereabouts of. Sir John added to the mix with a dry sense of humour. It was not all wild flowers as we saw some spectacular scenery, visited private gardens and listened to interesting talks. It seemed that they were there to give you the holiday you want in the way that you want it.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank lowenva
York, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Aigas Photography Workshop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

From start to finish, the week's course was excellent: the wonderfully warm Aigas welcome from Sir John and Lady Lucy and their team, the delicious food, comfortable accommodation and, of course, the prime reason for booking this particular course - Laurie Campbell's excellent tuition. I learnt a lot in a variety of wildlife locations and in a very relaxing environment. It was my third visit to Aigas and I hope there will be other opportunities to return - one day the Aigas badgers will put in an appearance for me!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Reikibid
Farnham, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An amazing wildlife experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Sir John and Lady Lucy welcomed us to their home and we had a wonderful 5 days, staying in a comfortable, warm cabin the the estate grounds. We got on well with the other guests and had some fun. The wildlife hides were comfy and we had our first sighting of pine martens. Unfortunately the beavers and otters didn't show themselves, but that's wildlife. We did see golden eagles, buzzards, dolphins, and a highlight was the lekking black grouse. The staff and rangers are all very friendly and knowledgeable which adds to the experience. Love to go again.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Patricia K
Scherpenzeel, The Netherlands
139 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Wildlife highlights with Nick Baker, an amazing week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

This was my 4th stay at Aigas. The garden still looked stunning,Lady Lucy must spend loads of time here. My favourite place is the little bench overlooking the pond. This time I had booked a week with Nick Baker. It proved to be an excellent choice, Nick is very enthusiastic, offers a different look on wildlife and is very, very knowledgable. We did some tracking which was very exciting, visited a badger sett and even did some rock pooling. Amazing what you can find and what he can tell you about all the different species! His knowledge about bugs really added to the programme. My favourite bit is always the hide visits, this time I managed to get pine martens on 6 out of 7 nights which was amazing. I watched the sunrise from the loch every morning, heard the owls and buzzards calling, saw the bats go into their roosting place, there is so much this place offers. My lodge was very comfortable, the weather very unlike Scotland, we had 4 dry, warm days! Add the excellent food, the staff, the rangers and the guests and I can really say I had the perfect holiday. And the best part of it? I left knowing I had already booked another week for 2014.

Visited October 2013