“Comfortable and very friendly staff”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Thurso
scotland
“Comfortable and very friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed here 2nd time now on business trips to Thurso, This time around a relative passed away and the funeral was on the date i had booked, I informed the hotel who rescheduled my stay with no charge or fuss...Brilliant
The room was 26 at the back of the hotel, it was a lovely large room with a break out area and quiet enough to get a good sleep.
The food at the hotel is great, fresh and cooked to order and the staff are all polite and attentive
A very good hotel and i shall use again in my trips to Thurso.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This is an old hotel in the center of Thurso, convenient for catching the ferry to Orkney. We stayed one night and would stay there again. We had one of the rooms that opens on to the parking lot at the back. It was very quiet. The room was huge, with a sitting area, separate bedroom, and large bath. Amenities were basic but adequate. The staff was outstanding and breakfast was delicious. It's convenient for walking around town. Inside, the hotel is old and rambling but with some nice touches, including a large bookcase with paperbacks for guests to read. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Irvine
Reviewed 27 June 2011

At first hotel comes across as peaceful, clean and comfortable, we were allocated a family annex which suited us perfectly as we had young children. BE AWARE breakfast menu is misleading, no where on the menu does it say the full scottish breakfast comes with mushrooms, i have a intollerence to any sort of mushroom, but when served breakfast they were on my plate, i had scraped them off onto a side plate, to my disbelief, was abruptly swiped away from our table from an elderly man, who turned out to be the owner of the hotel, and i was given a ''dressing down'' about if i didnt want something i shouldnt order food to waste it! to which i replied its not on the menu!! The younger staff were soo friendly and helpfull but the older members of staff were very rude and abrupt! But our stay (if we avoided the owner) was pleasent and comfortable! The hotel served its purpose for a few nights to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Athens, GA
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Station Hotel is an adequate place to stay…it was clean and proximate to the attractions that brought us to Thurso. That said, we stayed in a building separate from the actual hotel (despite making reservations months in advance, some fellow travelers made “last-minute” reservations and were put in a room in the main building that was nicer and larger than ours was). Our room was not necessarily small, but the desk placement made it cramped. There were not enough parking places for the number of guests during one night of our stay and a few of the ones they do have are a little narrow. They have the usual fare for breakfast. We all thought that the food was plentiful and cooked very well, but on two of our three mornings there we had to wait in the bar until a table opened up (I know, it happens…but when one has a full day planned, it is very inconvenient). I thought the dinners were a little pricey, but all of us enjoyed our meals very much. Interestingly enough, we met some of the friendliest staff of our entire three-week Scotland trip, but one person was very unfriendly and that influenced my opinion of the hotel as a whole. Overall, the Station Hotel was “OK”…it certainly met our needs but I doubt I would stay there again. Finally, as our primary purpose for visiting the area was to spend time on the Orkney Islands, I wish I had stayed in Stromness and avoided the ferry rides and (especially) the steep parking fee at the ferry terminal.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Preston, Lancashire
Reviewed 20 May 2011

We had a pleasant stay here.
allocated an apartment at the back of the hotel, in an annexe, this actually suited us, as we were out of the way, and didn't have to come through reception after our night out in a Thurso pub.
We had dinner in, when we showed up for the table, we were directed to a room off the bar area, being told that the restaurant had a coach party due in, at first i was rattled, but the staff were right to do this, as the noise from the dining room, from the party of grannies was unbelievable.
Dinner was excellent, huge portions for us hungry men, and probably one of the best cullen skinks i have ever had.
Room was great, power shower excellent, slept like a log, and had a huge breakfast.
One point is that i wish the staff wouldn't make up tables for dinner when i am mid way through breakfast , the noise got on my nerves so early.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Crieff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I travel about alot for work and all I really look for is somewhere clean, comfy and with internet access. Friendly staff are a big bonus for me as a solo traveler.

The hotel itself is okay- rooms are spacious and clean but its not like there is much choice in the area!

The main reason I booked this hotel was because it was the only hotel that said it had wireless internet- think again! The wireless internet does not work- and given that i am traveling on business was a complete nightmare! Was simply told by reception staff that they didn't know what was wrong.

My biggest issue was on checkout when i was slapped with the bill. I queried why I was paying on departure as I had thought that I had paid online when i booked. I recieved what can only be described as a "telling off" from the elderly receptionist (I actually think he was the owner) who was so rude and abrupt to me it was a great start to a long day!

And leisurely travelers don't think you'll get a nice long lie in the morning- if you decide to skip breakfast they will phone you early to ask you if you are going to be coming to breakfast!

Would have been an okay experience even with the dodgy internet, staff let it down BIG TIME

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank business1woman

Travellers are raving about these Thurso hotels

London
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stopped here on our way to Orkney, we were delayed in getting to the hotel and the staff were very helpful with us arriving late. This is a small hotel so does not have someone at the desk all night long and they had to wait up for us.

Room had a small bed and was very bouncy, was not the best. Room was large and very clean.

Very friendly at check in and check out. Breakfast was huge, more than I could manage and I normally eat a healthy amount! Very tasty and would set you up for the day nicely.

Not sure why it is called the station hotel as it is not at the station, unless it was a different station that is!

Will defiantly use for future stop offs.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurso
Park Hotel
#1 of 9 in Thurso
Norseman Hotel
Norseman Hotel
#2 of 4 in Wick

Been to Station Hotel? Share your experiences!