Station Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hawthorns(Thurso)
US$127
The Castletown Hotel(Castletown)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$137
getaroom.com
All reviewstraditional buildinggood sized bathroomcosy barearly morning trainsitting areastay there againkippersdouble and single bednice meala couple of minutes walktour of scotlandevening mealtown centregood nights sleephospitality traystayed here for one nighthot water
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Receptionist is more like something you'd expect from school dinner lady! Rooms sold as havin internet but when I got to my room couldn't get internet went down to complain Roget told to sit in the bar appalling attitude from manager and manageress rooms not bad but fairly dated all and all I would not recommend to my worst enemy! Purely down to attitude from high level management! As I could live with the other flaws

2  Thank Njm2013utr
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Yes, some rooms look abit dated, but I cannot fault the cleanliness, service or food at all! Great craic with the staff, good variety on the set menu. Very good value for money. Well worth a visit, lots to do in the local area with some really nice restaurants within walking distance, and the Orkney ferry from scrabster close by.

Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Greeted on arrival by a young boy who didn't have a clue. He handed us the list of guests and told us to find ourselves. When we were eventually given our keys there was no instruction on where the rooms were so we just wandered off towards the stairs hoping for room numbers to be pointed out which they were on the signs. I was located on the 2nd floor and on opening the door I was presented with the smallest hotel room I've ever seen. I was able to stand in the room with my arms out and touch both walls.

The rooms were dated and in dire need of an upgrade and the bathroom was tiny. It was like a cupboard with a toilet, sink and shower all squashed into the same space. The shower was a power shower with an internal pump to give the water pressure, which was good but it sounded like an aeroplane engine when in use. This was particularly annoying at 06:30am when the occupants of the room next door had their morning shower.

My bed was fairly comfy and sheets were clean however a colleague had to remove the sheets off his bed as they were blood stained and dirty.

Breakfast was ok with a good range however the service that accompanied it was dire. Some well needed training in customer service is required for the majority of the staff.

We ate out every night so didn't try the food in the restaurant.

On checking out we wasn't asked whether we had a good stay, or of there was any problems, we just had our cards snatched from us so they could take payment.

I think the only thing keeping this place open is the coach tours operating on the area. We definitely won't be staying again and would advise anyone reading this to find somewhere different also.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I would never stay here again, room and staff very ungrateful. Receptionist was very rude to the staff and if she spoke to me in that manner I would walk out. Rooms are lovely especially where I was located. I would not want to stay there again unless the manager stops speaking to staff the way she does!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank JamieSuds
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I have to agree whole heartedly with jhawk, who came here with Trafalgar. Our room was in "The Coachhouse" across the parking lot in the rain, up 2 flights of stairs, down a narrow hall to a room that appears ok on entering-if you like the 50's furnishings. The bedspread was old and pilly. The mattress had a spring that was stabbing me no matter what position I tried to maneuver. Ended up sleeping on top of the old worn bedspread (didn't want to think about the bacteria hiding there) just to put a cushion between my ribs and the bulging spring. We were told by Insight that we would have deluxe accomodations. Since we were there 2 nights, it was a nightmare. The food, from a pre-selected menu by Insight, was acceptable. Nothing great.

Room Tip: There's no hope for a good room at this hotel based on reports from others in our tour group.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple