“Lovely clean. Helpful staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Thurso
Skipton
“Lovely clean. Helpful staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My son and I stayed here for one night including our pet collie which was no issue. We had our own very clean apartment and were very comfortable for our purpose. Arrived at about six at night with no booking but that was no issue and were accommodated with helpful friendly staff. Thankyou

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank kakriska

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Preston, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Having arrived in Thurso late afternoon, this was the third hotel in which we tried to obtain a room - the first was undergoing refurbishment and the second fully booked.

We were directed to The Station. It was basic but very comfortable. We stayed in a chalet style room which was warm and cosy but the bathroom was cold and the radiator leaked when I switched it on. We didn't discover this until late at night so we got round it by leaving the bathroom door open overnight so the heat permeated through. The shower was nice and hot and powerful.

At dinner, the fish main course I ordered was unavailable so I plumped for something else - I can't remember what but I remember saying that it was tasty.

My partner ordered a lasagne - he didn't want veg or salad but asked for some parmesan. Apparantly the parmesan was frozen. We got several apologies for the time it took to bring it but it never materialised so he gave up waiting and just ate the lasagne as it was.

For dessert, he ordered one with cream but we were told there was very little left. However, what he had was nice.

After dinner we reitred to the bar area and I ordered a Calypso coffee. However, we were reminded that there was no cream available.

Frankly, if I'd been in charge, I'd have popped to a local shop to obtain some rather than give off such a disorganised impression.

This place was OK - but only just. To be honest, we probably won't return though.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beverley C
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed over while visiting my son. Although the room would be considered antiquated compared to your average premier inn it was warm and clean and the bed was very comfy. The staff were very friendly and I can honestly say the breakfast was absolutely excellent. I would have no hesitation staying there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank eileen062
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We were visiting Thurso to see a sick relative in the local hospital.
The hotel suited our needs perfectly, the staff were very friendly and attentive.
The chalet style room was just what we needed for a 4 night stay and had everything we needed.

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what you need. Our room faced out on to the car park and was nice and quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cluthab
Falkirk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

Staying at this hotel for the 2nd time I was so disappointed first time round, I came in off the last train 21.40hrs, in a nice room, a bit dated and very tired. I returned again recently and arrived at approx. 18.00hrs given a twin room, which on entering, had not been made up from the previous occupant! being given a room in a separate building on ground floor, no heating on! I turned the heating up, and went for dinner, food awful. In the morning the owner apologised and told me that someone would be disciplined for the room not being made up, not really what I wanted to hear, also on asking if I slept well I advised him that the heating had gone off and it was very cold (only 1 deg outside) he informed me that he puts the heating off overnight as it costs him nearly £2K a month too heat everything and he only puts it on overnight when it's very cold.
I stay at a lot of hotels through business and this is by far the worst I've every been to.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Jane H

Travellers are raving about these Thurso hotels

Hastings, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Thurso is not a fashionable town but for the visitor it will probably be a stopover for Orkney ferries or the spectacular landscapes of Caithness. You won't find any fancy hotels here but the Station is adequate for a night or two. The rooms vary from quite pleasant to dark and dingy. Some rooms are motel style around the car park at the back. There is a small bar where you can sit and a limited menu restaurant with unexciting offerings. Basically it's a businessperson's hotel that is used by some tour companies for the lack of anywhere better. So, reasonable but don't get exited. They own another hotel in town so if full, they have some flexibility.

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Receptionist is more like something you'd expect from school dinner lady! Rooms sold as havin internet but when I got to my room couldn't get internet went down to complain Roget told to sit in the bar appalling attitude from manager and manageress rooms not bad but fairly dated all and all I would not recommend to my worst enemy! Purely down to attitude from high level management! As I could live with the other flaws

• Stayed September 2013