“Welcoming and very pleasant!!!!”
Review of Station Hotel

Station Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Thurso
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Simply lovely!!!!!
All staff were friendly and very helpful.
Good value for money.
Food was excellent.
Totally recommend this place.
Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable.
The night we stayed had a coach party staying and they took over the dinning room. However the staff made us feel welcome in the bar area.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here in August 2014 for 2 nights on a tour of Scotland. In a "remote" location did not expect much and got what I expected. Room in "basement" was dark and uncomfrotable but reasonably clean. Staff was very helpful and food was surprisingly good here. As a place to "put your head" while visiting in the north of Scotland, hotel is acceptable but noting to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights during our Insight Vacations tour of Scotland in August 2014. As other reviewers have said, expectations must be lowered to an appropriate level when staying out in the "country roads" of Scotland. The location is good in that it is centrally located in the town and the town itself is a good jumping point for the Orkney Islands. The staff was a bit aloof and easily overwhelmed by our 38 person tour group. Maybe things go a little smoother for them when a bus full of people aren't staying there? All I can speak to is what we experienced. As has been pointed out there is no elevator (lift) and our room was all the way up in the attic. 43 steps, which isn't bad until you've gone up and down a few times after traveling and walking all day. The room was clean, but small and being in the attic meant always having to mind your head against the slanted dormer ceilings. I'm a shorter guy and almost got brained a few times. The closet was a tiny little opening with knee high hangers that looked like something a hobbit would use. The shower takes an engineer to figure out and if the bathroom door is left even a little bit open it will set off the fire alarms. Nothing is more comforting than being in the attic when a fire alarm goes off, as it did at least twice during our stay when someone (not us) left their bathroom door ajar while showering. Others in our tour group apparently had worse rooms down in the moldy basement dungeon, so I guess we were fortunate to be in the "penthouse." Again I stress that we were part of a tour group and things may be different when the hotel doesn't have to deal with so many people at once, just be prepared and temper expectations if choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Phantom03
Reviewed 10 August 2014

As part of a week long tour of GB via public transport, the accommodation was crucial for myself and my 3 sons to recharge our batteries and finding a family room in areas where Hotels are a bit thin on the ground can be a challenge. Stan, the concierge at the Station Hotel was helpful as could be when I booked it (on the phone rather than online) and he made us very welcome when we arrived from suburban Glasgow after a 10 hour trip. Thurso is a long way from almost everywhere. Our room was all we needed. Enough space, comfy beds, ensuite bath/shower room and a superb clean up overnight as we stayed 2 nights.
Breakfast was generous and served by uniformed staff which gives the right impression that care for guests is this Hotel's priority. The decor is nothing special but everything else is and I was happy that anything we asked for they could provide. Sensible price for an area without low cost hotel chains and all around, nice people and good service and good room. All we needed and only 5 minutes from the railway stations. Many thanks Stan and colleagues.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MikeJSaundersIFA
Reviewed 31 July 2014

First of all, if you’ve never been to this area, its important to manage your expectations; people don’t tend to come here to be pampered by incredibly impressive and attentive service by highly trained staff or wowed by Michelin standard food. So you’d be lucky to find that type of thing anywhere nearby. With that said, let me start with the pluses and say that what you will find at the Station hotel is: a friendly welcome, personable approachable staff (who, to my surprise were uniformed and very well organised at busy meal times too). A choice of eating in the comfortable bar area or the restaurant from the A ’La Carte or Table D’Hote menus which offer decent food. A relaxed family feel, with books and dvd’s available for you to take at your leisure. Clean and tidy rooms, very comfortable beds and a really excellent chamber-maid service (my bathroom was left sparking and bedroom room looked like someone had measured the bedding with a ruler to ensure perfection!). Free wifi. The downsides are, and I am nitpicking here in order to offer a balanced view, that the hotel’s decor and amenities are dated (e.g. old carpets and showers that aim only as high as your chest and need a while to warm up). On the other hand, perhaps you’ll think as i did that ‘it’s got character’. The food is overpriced for what it is (e.g. £19 for a basic steak and chips without steak sauce or the like) The staff, while lovely, are not trained to spot obvious service opportunities e.g. when offering me mint-sauce with my lamb - instead of returning to say it had run out, could’ve crossed the road 20 yards and bought some from the Mace shop in less than 2 minutes. But hey, on balance and with nit-picking aside, I really enjoyed my stay here and would not hesitate to return given the opportunity.

Room Tip: Apartments are roomy and homely
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Swerve-Ifans
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Really enjoyed our over-nighter en route to ferry. Lovely comfortable room well equipped with TV and WiFi access, comfy beds, delightful friendly staff, and the best beautifully tasty evening meal -really lovely. Will be back. Thank you so much :)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 586SaraA
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Was allocated an outside studio room which had a bathroom at one end, a bed space with both a double and a single in the middle and the living room space at the front. Despite it being an odd sort if set up the bed was most comfortable and the place light and airy. It's in need if some modernisation, however nothing wrong.

I didn't like that the front door is almost immediately in the car park. People arriving early or late at night obviously didn't realise the impact of the noise they make packing/unpacking the car. The worst aspect for me was the hordes of seagulls which spent all night flying round and round the rooftops screeching all the time. They really disturbed my sleep. Not the fault of the hotel management and nothing could be done.

Thurso and the surrounding area is beautiful. Dunnett Head beach stunning. Did the flagstone trail too which I really enjoyed. All very lovely indeed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business