All reviews salmon fishing wine list a pre dinner drink malt whiskies scallops wonderful hotel dining room reception area great character lovely grounds first class lamb dinner menu lovely lady both nights old friends room was large
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Lovely country hotel. We were in the River House which is not in the main hotel. Room was large, clean and comfortable, although couldn’t get tv to work. Would agree with some comments about minimal staff and maybe need a little more training, however everyone was friendly and helpful and not an issue. Annie is quite a character. The highlight was the food which was outstanding. We eat in a lot of top quality restaurants and this was right up there. Perfectly cooked and everything complemented what was on the plate. Outstanding collection of malt whiskies. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: River house good
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2018

This Hotel sets itself up as a stately country manor, and does quite a nice job of it. From the finely appointed country bedroom, to the welcoming lounge, bar and restaurant, to the classy tapestry on the wall of the stairway, to the deer antler chairs in the bar area, this hotel exudes an ambiance of class. We had dinner in the restaurant, and it was lovely, especially the signature scallops. Even the tartan carpeting on the ground floor and heading up the stairway, added to the country atmosphere. And there's even a scenic waterfall just a few score meters away from the hotel building. What more can you ask for?

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Business trip, my company booked me in for a few nights. Just 10 minutes from Thurso but a real feeling of being in the country. Set in beautiful grounds. Some lovely walks and the River Forss on your doorstep.
As it’s a small country hotel, don’t expect someone to be at the front desk on arrival, if there’s no staff around don’t be afraid to go looking! I had rather comical arrival, I was shouting one way & could hear a voice reply but it was a bit like a pantomime, she was behind me!
I was in a room downstairs from the reception area (Hallam)
overlooking the back lawn. Not a bad sized room and fairly bright with a decent sized bathroom with bath and shower attached. Plenty hot water, had a good relaxing bath one night. Shower not the strongest but adequate. One peculiarity is the toilet is set close to the wall but against a radiator, just thankful I was here in August, not January!
As I was on business and eating out at lunch and not getting back until late I requested soup & sandwiches for supper in my room, these were good quality although it was the same variety of soup three nights in a row.
Highlight of my stay was the breakfast, top quality ingredients and perfectly cooked every time. Very amenable breakfast waitress too, friendly and chatty but not overbearing.
Only downside for me was lack of good Wi-fi, I needed it for work at night, my phone / data signal was non existent. Didn’t think staff dealt well with my query.
Have to mention the tv as well, one of the first flat screens (ish) Quaint!
Hoping that if I’m working in the area again that I can stay again, having stayed at other hotels locally this is the best I’ve been in!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
3  Thank royzee28
Reviewed 7 August 2018

"Faulty Towers at the moment" the hostess exclaimed, as she was locked out of the cellar and the wifi was disconnected. But despite all her teething problems we had a wonderful stay. She recommended we book direct next time and she would make sure we had one of the upstairs rooms. The food was beautiful and the breakfast divine. Beautiful kippers, best we had in five weeks in Scotland cooked by her brother she told me. We had several nights and some lovely walks around the hotel and along e river. Walked down to the old chapel on the headland. Very special. Will definitely come back and look forward to seeing what the new owners can do

Room Tip: Upstairs in main house
Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2018

We stopped at The Forss House Hotel for 1 night whilst completing the North Coast 500 road trip and it is an absolute gem of a hotel. The lovely lady that runs the hotel is called Anne and she was witty and poured enormous measures of whisky.
The food is fine dining and was excellent and could not be faulted. The bedroom was large and spacious with a good clean en-suite bathroom with lovely walk-in shower.
Car parking is superb and very safe.

Room Tip: The Radclyffe rooms are superb
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple