Pennyland House B&B
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Thurso
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Park Hotel(Thurso)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewscarol and raymondroyal dornochst andrewsbreakfast was deliciousperfect hostsoverlooking the seawarm welcomehuge bathhigh standardfirst classground coffeeplace to staylovely touchstayed longerplaces to visitfriendly hostsboutique hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stayed here for one night prior to catching the ferry to Orkney islands. Great breakfast though I did make the common mistake of ordering everything with the cooked breakfast, not only is it substantial in itself but if you tick all the boxes you get eggs three ways fried scrambled and poached the room was comfortable and spacious with a good shower.
There was a risk of the ferry not running the next morning and the host offered to allocate us the room for a second night despite it being previously booked, thankfully it was not necessary, but I would not have minded another night here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ctaylor22, Owner at Pennyland House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Carol and I are glad you enjoyed your stay, but we think your review is a bit misleading. The breakfast tick box list is clearly defined and every item has separate box including a choice of three types of egg. If you tick all the individual boxes for items on the menu you will get what exactly what you request. We do not question a guest's request :)

As for the point you made regarding staying an extra night, the impression you gave was that we would be willing to bump another guest to accommodate you. This of course would never happen and I appreciate that it was probably a typing error when reviewing. I just want this to be clear to those reading your review.

Best Regards
Raymond

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed at Pennyland for 2 nights at the end of April and we had a wonderful time. We were in St Andrews room and it was very clean and comfortable with lots of character, the bathroom was done out really well with a large bath and a seperate shower. The tea and coffee tray in the bedroom had home made shortbread biscuits and real coffee as well as instant.The house had a warm and friendly feel to it, with views to the Orkneys on a clear day and easy access to the ferry. The original staircase was a lovely feature. Breakfasts were excellent, nothing was too much trouble for Carol and Raymond.They were great hosts and helped us plan trips out for the day, lending us a map with all points of interest penciled on it. I would certainly reccomend Pennyland House if you were in the area.

Room Tip: I would imagine they are all very nice, we stayed in St Andrews room and had a very pleasant stay, we had a sea views from the side window. I think most rooms were occupied but there was no issue with noise from other rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very friendly Owner, clean, good rooms with real character,

DVD and book library.

Great views over the water.

Good breakfast.. Could have been slightly more for vegetarian for example hash browns or veggie sausages. Felt like veggies werent getting as much as meat eaters

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Stayed there for one night last night. Very warm welcome, lovely room, very clean and very nice breakfast. As I was shaving this morning I thought that the bathroom light could have been brighter so thought I could recommend this on a review, but just as I finished I found the mirror light! Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David C
Reviewed 16 March 2014

As others have said, this really is a great place to stay. The rooms are lovely, huge and furnished to a high standard. Carol and Raymond were very friendly, the breakfast was great. Although on the outskirts of the town, you can walk easily into town. I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family