“Dont Judge The Book By The Cover” 4 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
Raymond Chef
Cuisines: Chinese
Glasgow
“Dont Judge The Book By The Cover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Had tried the Indian and Wetherspoons of previous evenings, and thought time for a chinese.

Wick is a small place and had noticed the chinese by its flashing lights on the way to the Indian, actually looked like something you would find in Soho and associated with strip bars.

The decor on entering the restaurant does not inspire either, lighting from Argos, Japanes pictures, poorly decorated, very small tables, fish in tank swimming around in cloudy water, happy birthday stickers on the wall (only me there and not my birthday) and small sherry galsses instead of wine glasses.

It was midweek when I was in, but the service was shambolic at times, the waitresses child was also in the kitchen and popped out now and again, and said very little.

Onto the food, which was the only saving grace, I had chicken and sweetcorn soup and special chow mein.

The soup was good and filling, the special chow mein was freshly cooked with 3 large prawns, beef, pork, chicken and vegetables on a bed of noodles and was very good, it just needed a wee bit more 5 spice or ginger for me, as it was a wee bit bland. But for £12 the food was very good.

If the manager was to get rid of the lights and spend a bit of money on the decor this could be a great place to eat.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Utah
“Best Chinese in Scotland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

My family and I had to stay overnight unexpectedly in Wick, Scotland. We love Chinese food, so we walked about town looking for a good restaurant. We passed a couple that didn't look too appealing, one of which only did take-away. But we then stumbled on Raymond Chef, at 134 High Street, on a pedestrian only street. Nothing much to look at, outside or inside. But a number of Chinese families were eating there--always a good sign in my book. And the food was absolutely delicious, the best Chinese that I've eaten in Scotland and every bit as good as food in London, at a fraction of the price in London. I recommend Raymond Chef highly, especially for families. The restaurant is a hidden gem. It's on my itinerary next time I'm in Wick.

5 Thank RomeStudent