“Wee gem with lovely new restaurant”

Breadalbane House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wick
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Was greeted by very smiley and helpful staff. Our room was large modern and spacious. Great bathroom. We ate in the restaurant twice as it was a a really smart place and the food was delicious. We understand it has just been refurbished and we must say it looks the business. Breakfast was also served in here and it was a good selection and the full Scottish was so tasty and plentiful! Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and helped us to organise our trip to Orkney Islands and our accommodation there.Will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank JaneDooley
Breadalbane, Owner at Breadalbane House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

We are glad you like our new lounge & restaurant, it has made a great difference to the hotel. We hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

Went up to Wick on the train. Overnight stay here. Nice little hotel. Being slowly refurbished and I'm sure when it is finished it'll be a grand place, but for now it's good but clearly a "work in progress". Will I stay here again? Yes.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

stayed overnight in this hotel 26th march 2013,looked a bit rough from the outside.inside being refurbished.the good news was the bar was shut and as scotland were in action that night i was more than glad.staff were very friendly nothing was too much bothered.i asked for a double room ensuite to myself and ended up on the top floor in room number 9.it was very cosy with the heating on when i went to bed (midnight) and was on or still on when i surfaced at 07.35.great !!!!!!, the bed was so comfy i would have tried to drag it onto the train if they'd let me.great view of the harbour..full scottish breakfast was very good with every everything nice and hot.i'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: try and get room 9
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Breadalbane, Manager at Breadalbane House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Many Thanks for your kind words, he hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Nice family run hotel. I was in Wick for Business and stayed for 1 night in March. Very welcoming staff, large clean room. Did not have an evening meal but breakfast was great. Was unable to hve a drink in the bar as it was being refitted but that was not a real issue.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us , the bar refit went well and is now in full operation. Hopefully if you are in the area again you can enjoy a cocktail in the new lounge!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Perhaps early February is not the best time to visit Wick but business is business. Hotel has seen better days and is currently being renovated. The owner/manager/waiter could not be more pleasant and explained that due to the kitchens being refurbished only a very limited dinner menu was available which I did not partake of. The bedroom was very spacious, old fashioned but very clean with very comfortable beds. A nice touch was Tunnocks caramel wafers and teacakes on the tea tray. I think that I was the only person staying the night and was certainly on my own at breakfast which was average and I suspect was cooked by the owner/manager/waiter

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your review. There was an ongoing refurbishment when you stayed with us which is almost complete now. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at Breadalbane on our honeymoon and enjoyed it very much. The staff was extremely helpful, breakfast was delicious and filling (full Scottish for hubby, lighter fare for me), and our room was spacious, clean, and cozy warm. They also prepared us a wonderful picnic lunch for our visit to Castle Sinclair. We were very pleased with the location, as we were able to walk to the train station, around town, and across a neighborhood bridge during sunset to a super romantic French restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Many Thanks for your kind words, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

This is a 2 star hotel, with a handful of rooms. There is a public bar attached.

The room I stayed in (Room 1) was larger than I expected with a good-sized en-suite. I have had far smaller rooms and en-suite in 4 star hotels. The bed was comfortable and I slept well.

The bar was busy with locals, and was a friendly place to spend time.

I was the only guest in the hotel, and I was asked to nominate my time for breakfast in the morning. Everything was ready for me, and I was served a magnificent full Scottish breakfast that really set me up for the day.

My only real complaint is that the water pressure in the shower is terrible - more a dribble than a trickle!

For a 2 star hotel this more than exceeded my expectations (apart from the shower). The value for money I received was very good indeed.

However, the hotel needs maintenence. Also a little bit of attention to detail would not go amiss, and would make this a rave review instead of just a good one. For example:
- no soap or shampoo provided (OK, it is a 2 star hotel!).
- only 1/4 of a used toilet roll provided.
- one of the taps in the ensuite is almost completely detached from the basin.
- the temperature control on the shower is the wrong way round.
- both shaving lights in the ensuite seemed not to work.
- the (free) WiFi seemed to work only intermittently.
- the ensuite blind is too small for the window.
- therre is only 1 bedside light at the double bed.

Room Tip: Check that the shower pressure is adequate before accepting a room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Breadalbane, Owner at Breadalbane House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us recently. Your comments regarding the maintenance issues with the en-suite are justified on inspection and have been rectified since your stay. Many Thanks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Mackays Hotel
#1 of 6 in Wick
Sinclair Bay
Sinclair Bay
#16 of 19 in Wick

Been to Breadalbane House Hotel? Share your experiences!