“one of the best weekends ever” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ackergill Tower

Ackergill Tower
Durham, United Kingdom
“one of the best weekends ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

we recently stayed here 3 nights for a wedding. The Tower was a fabulous venue, we had a beautiful room, Reiss suite on the first floor with a four poster bed. I loved the bathroom too, lots of space and light. The food was delicious, staff go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We had full use of all the facilities. Smugglers pub was very cosy, we enjoyed a bonfire on the beautiful beach. We also had a bbq at the bothy beside the loch on the sunday afternoon. All in all a fabulous weekend. The Tower has been refurbished to a very high standard. The public rooms are delightful, the morning room and the drawing room. Breakfast is served in the great hall, the sausages are lovely. I would definately recommend this hotel and would very much like to go again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Wick caithness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Had an amazing wedding day at Ackergill Tower.
Staff helped to make the day very special.
All guests were made to feel very welcome and had a great time.
The food was five star and the accommodation was dreamlike.
Would be happy to do it all again tomorrow.
Mr & Mrs M.Weir

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
We are delighted that you enjoyed your special day with us and thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor.
Hagerstown
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I recently stayed at Ackergill Tower and had a great experience. It was first class. The staff were attentive when required.
I stayed in the tower itself and had a superb room with sea views from all the windows.
The bedroom was luxurious; the bathroom was great - well-appointed and with lots of room.
I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank LSMcB
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience at Ackergill, we are extremely proud of our Castle by the sea and always welcome our guests comments. I have passed your comments on to my team. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

My partner and I had a wonderful 3 night stay in May. The views from our room were wonderful. The fine dining in the Great Dining Hall was a wonderful experience and all the staff were very attentive. Just the p[lace for relaxing luxury!!

Room Tip: Any room in The Tower will have great views
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff B
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.I have passed your comments on to my team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

We were touring the upper part of the Highlands and made our way to this superb tower on the cliffs by Wick. Unfortunately, the tower itself was closed and we stayed at the ''stables'' cottage. Newly refurbished, a very large comfortable room, great bathroom and shower and a wonderful sitting room/ dining room /kitchen. The chef Paul, cooked dinner for us and it was delicious. Fantastic smoked salmon, followed by a superb sea bass with capers. Paul is also a very friendly young man and kept us interested in the local folklore. He also left everything we might need for breakfast the next day. Following day, Julie (the manager) showed us the tower. Fantastic !!! We'll certainly be back. They (Julie, Jackie, Paul..) were extremely friendly and professional, and the place magical.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place such a glowing review, it was encouraging to read that you enjoyed our newly opened Stables Cottage, I have passed your comments on to my team and in particular Paul, Julie and Jackie. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Dollar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

Having worked in hotels and tourism companies for the last 25 yrs. I have to say we are harsh critics when on a personal holiday. I am sure a fellow hotelier is not always a welcome site however Ackergill had nothing to fear, in fact quite the opposite. Opting for one of the self-catering cottages as we had our dog with us my partner and I experienced a stay that was so relaxing and utterly perfect that we are guaranteed a number of return visits. The cottages have been beautifully restored in different styles but are all informal with open fires, basic foods left for us on arrival along with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. A seafront location and view that was inspiring was the icing on the cake. The staff are friendly yet unobtrusive and the wee pub ‘smugglers Inn ‘ a 30 second walk from the door would be the place to spend a night or two…probably with a sore head the morning after.

Not having really explored this part of Scotland that heavily I would suggest to anyone to try it once, the beaches were as good as any you would find in the world if not better and the weather amazing. The Tower operates many activities for those outdoor minded otherwise a beach barbeque would be my recommendation

The elegance with which the resort is operated is a testament to the manager and staff and one I wish other hoteliers could replicate.

Well done and a huge thanks to all, we are looking forward to staying at Keepers Cottage in the very near future.
Julie & Tom & Angus the Pyrenean

Room Tip: The rooms at the Tower looked stunning but as we stayed at the cottages I cannot comment although Be...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Dear Julie,thank you for taking the time to place your review on trip advisor and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction. My team are constantly striving to ensure that all of our guests have a truly memorable experience.We look forward to welcoming you back to Ackergill in the future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

My sister and I are great ones for afternoon tea. We're well known in Fortnum and Masons and have eaten scones and tried cakes in many places from the Ritz Hotel and the Savoy to small teashops in market towns all round the UK. Ackergill Tower has spoilt the fun. Now we've had their afternoon tea, we have had the best and there's no point us eating anyone else's.

Three of us sat down on a cold sunny afternoon in front of a huge roaring fire in the drawing room in the castle of Ackergill. Serious amounts of sandwiches and tea arrived, accompanied by an entire home-made lemon drizzle cake, made by the wonderful Alison. Just for us. A basket of warm, delicious scones was accompanied by fresh whipped cream and lashings of home-made berry jam. Elegant individual carrot cakes with dreamy topping and vast regiments of fresh shortbread (plain and currant) completed the spread. Service was discreet and friendly and we felt completely at home and relaxed. What more could we ask for?

We stayed at Ackergill Tower for two nights and it is a lovely place in a beautiful position. Try it for yourself.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cartyonline
Nigel B, General Manager at Ackergill Tower, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to place such a fabulous review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience at Ackergill and the afternoon tea in particular. I have passed your comments on to my team and have personally congratulated Alison for her outstanding work. I look forward to welcoming you back to Ackergill in the future.
Nigel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Mackays Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kilchoan
Natural Retreats John O'Groats
Natural Retreats John O'Groats
#1 of 3 in John O'Groats

Been to Ackergill Tower? Share your experiences!