“Wonderful weekend”
Review of Ackergill Tower

Ackergill Tower
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for a friend's wedding. Spectacular location and friendly staff.

We stayed in a tower room - Dukes - which was lovely. Stunning view of the sea. The bed was a beautiful carved wooden one but the only downside was it had a wooden footboard which made for an uncomfortable nights sleep for my 6'4" husband. The bathroom was well appointed, and I loved the turret with the toilet in!

The breakfast in the morning was good, and even though they start at 8 am, they were happy to serve my 1 year old daughter and husband at 7am as they were up.

The room for the ceremony and wedding breakfast were beautiful and the bar area very cosy with roaring fires. A fantastic choice for a wedding!

Only sorry I didn't get to see the tree house, as the bride said it was amazing!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pinkcatgirl

Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and I spent one night at Ackergill Tower as part of our honeymoon tour. We paid a very high price and expected very high quality. For a five star price we expected five star service, but were disappointed. The bedroom was nice and the bed comfortable, but I wouldn't call it high luxury. There is no real front desk and it was extremely hard to find anyone when we needed anything. We had to ask specifically about meals and the staff seemed to know very little about the details. We ended up eating in town which was also disappointing. I suppose we did not fit the expectation of a high class patron, we were essentially ignored during our entire interaction with the establishment.

Of course the real draw is the building, which lived up to expectations and was very interesting. The grounds were also very nice, but not exceptional. In my experience Ackergill Tower is not worth the price, even though we liked the building very much. Save your money for a better experience.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 746travelover
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We recently had our wedding here, the venue is the most perfect setting for a wedding. The day ran smoothly, the staff were so attentative we couldn't fault a thing. Our wedding breakfast was delicious & all our guests raved about it. We had guests stay in the tower & the cottages who all loved their stay there. As for my husband & I we were lucky enough to stay in the bridal suite - The Tree House & all I can say is WOW!!! It was magical so Peter Pan!!
We have some lovely memories of the best day ever so thank you all at Ackergill.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I recently had my wedding here, staying over two nights. It was like a dream it was so perfect. The staff are all so kind and friendly, the tower and cottage we stayed in and also the tree house was perfect. Food was beautiful.. 5 star definitely and because of this it made my wedding a dream come true.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Amiller23
Reviewed 25 June 2013 via mobile

Last week my wife and I had a fantastic experience staying at Ackergill Tower just North of Wick.
This has to be described as a great venue in a fantastic setting on the sea with unbelievable views. We stayed in the blue room and it felt as if we had been transported back in time. I consider myself well travelled and have eaten in many top restaurants but to dine in the great Hall was totally breathtaking in splendour with outstanding food an added bonus. There are some beautiful walks on a wonderful beach direct from the hotel and another added bonus was complementary golf at Wick golf club about 400m away. A very demanding links course in a great setting, my 5 am round of golf was one I will treasure for the scenery and ambiance.
This experience will definitely be repeated ASAP and our photographs will be treasured.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Macatoot
Reviewed 10 June 2013

There's no denying that Ackergill Tower gets a lot of deserved attention for it's buildings and surroundings. For our visit, we got some exceptionally sunny days and it was very picturesque. I think for some people this would be an amazing place to visit.

However, I can't honestly recommend this venue, particularly if you deviate at all from their idealised guest.

There were two serious issues:
1) One of our group was on a strict diet for medical reasons. The staff were informed well in advance of what was needed. Unfortunately we discovered on the second day that they hadn't been following the instructions and potentially contaminated the guest's food. This guest doesn't have immediate external symptoms to alert her to this, so the internal damage can go unnoticed. After some serious discussions with the staff, alternative food prep and meal arrangement for her were arranged. However, she was treated at most meals as an after thought, served each course long after the rest of the group, usually after some reminding by us. A lot of the "safe" food provided was salad, which consisted of lettuce, cucumber and tomato, with dressing if she was lucky.
2) There is wifi in the hotel, in theory, however it is really bad. If only one or two people are using it, it's merely painfully slow, but if half a dozen are then nobody can access the internet at all. There's also no signal on the grounds, so you can't use a smart phone to access the net either. If you want to get away from it all, that's not a problem, however we were there for a work conference and not being able to access the internet created a multitude of problems for us. Even if I was there for a wedding, not being able to email or check things online on the day could potentially be a disaster, particularly if you also can't use your phone either.

These were are two big issues, but there were plenty of smaller issues (which might have been irrelevant if it weren't for the above problems)
1) No hot water for showers before 7:30. I got up early on my last day and went for a shower at 6:50, which is a reasonable time, but only got cold water.
2) Hotel supplied wellies for walking and made a show of asking for our shoe size in advance. Unfortunately unless you have quite skinny legs they won't fit. I had to wear a man's pair a couple of sizes large, and they still didn't pull up properly.
3) The food was good, but not amazing. Lunch was buffet style but the main course buffet was removed quickly, so people who wanted more didn't get any.
4) We were taken down to the beach for a bonfire and stories. We were offered hot chocolate which was incredibly watery (I ended up pouring mine out into the sand), and later they had a little shack that offered whiskey. I asked if they had any non-alcoholic options (I don't like whiskey, and don't drink much alcohol for taste reasons) and the staff member mocked me for this. There were kids in the group but they didn't even have a bottle of coke or juice for anybody not drinking alcohol. I wasn't expecting a fully bar, but any basic alternative for people who don't drink (for many, varied and valid reasons).
5) A vegetarian in our group was repeatedly served fish as a veggie option despite saying he didn't eat fish.
6) There's no access for anybody with mobility issues. With an old building like this, it's understandably hard to arrange, but something to keep in mind if any of your party would have trouble with stairs.
7) Despite the sunny weather, it was also very cold. The function room we were in was freezing and they didn't put the heating on despite the temperatures.
8) On the first day our coffee break had scones and jam (not enough jam for the group though). For the following few days, there were no scones and the platter of shortbread got smaller and smaller every time. There were also no herbal tea options provided unless you asked.

The hotel itself was clean and nice enough. The rooms were a bit small, but that's just the style of building. There are lots of things to like about Ackergill Tower, but considering the enormous cost per night (fortunately I wasn't paying) I would have expected a much more profession service and better facilities.

My overall impression is that there are a lot of little superficial touches that would go down well if you wanted to play upperclass for the weekend, but under the surface the service and facilities are as good as you'd get in any B&B for less than a quarter of the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the tower are hardest to get to, but have a great view and easy access to the ba...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
13  Thank Suzi_Martha
Reviewed 7 June 2013

we recently stayed here 3 nights for a wedding. The Tower was a fabulous venue, we had a beautiful room, Reiss suite on the first floor with a four poster bed. I loved the bathroom too, lots of space and light. The food was delicious, staff go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We had full use of all the facilities. Smugglers pub was very cosy, we enjoyed a bonfire on the beautiful beach. We also had a bbq at the bothy beside the loch on the sunday afternoon. All in all a fabulous weekend. The Tower has been refurbished to a very high standard. The public rooms are delightful, the morning room and the drawing room. Breakfast is served in the great hall, the sausages are lovely. I would definately recommend this hotel and would very much like to go again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wick
Mackays Hotel
Northern Sands Hotel
Northern Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunnet
Riverside Apartments

Been to Ackergill Tower? Share your experiences!