“Won't be going back in a hurry”

Afternoon Tea at Ackergill Tower
Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Wick
Aberdeen
“Won't be going back in a hurry”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I wrote a review some time ago but it hasn't appeared on tripadvisor for some reason.
I couldn't fault our tea but my grievance is the service (or lack of it) regarding payment. I was given a voucher for afternoon tea as a present but my printer wasn't working so only had confirmation of it on my phone. The previous day I had emailed the voucher to Ackergill Tower as proof of purchase. However, this was not enough for the reception staff at Ackergill Tower and I wasn't allowed to leave until they had printed off the voucher. Now, it isn't my fault that their broadband whatever is rubbish and they couldn't access it. I was made to feel that I was somehow trying to put one over them. After at least half an hour, they managed to print off the voucher and all was well, on their part anyway. I was left with a bad feeling and as I said in the title, I won't be rushing back.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank HessAberdeen

Wick, United Kingdom
“Afternoon tea”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and myself arrived for afternoon tea to what is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. When we arrived we were shown into the drawing room and put to a low coffee table with one dining room chair and one sitting room chair, not a combination you would expect in a 5 star hotel nor was it comfortable, When the tea arrived it had been in the pot for some time, it was not hot and was stewed with no hot water pot about 15 minutes later the food arrived which consisted of 6 small dried sandwiches very small shortbread biscuits and a few cakes none of them were fresh,no scones or pancakes, all the food was on this 2 tiered Metal plate no thought put into displaying it. We had to ask for fresh tea and some hot water,when the girl came with the tea and hot water she spilt some tea on the on the table when she was putting the teapot on the table, we expected her to come back and clean up the spillage but she never appeared, The staff are just untrained young girls and do not know any different, it would have been nice to have seen a member of staff or management as we were leaving to pass on our complaints but not a person to be seen,

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Harvey873
Durham, United Kingdom
“Scones !!”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

all homemade and gorgeous. So was the carrot cake ! Served in the drawing room, proper luxury. A good choice of sandwiches and homemade cakes, plenty of tea and coffee too.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Kaz049
Inverness
“no welcome for some”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I phoned this supposedly first class hotel over a week ago to book afternoon tea for myself, my friend and her baby. We thought it would be interesting to visit an historic building and it was a change from our usual lunch at Mackays in Wick.
I was greatly disappointed and shocked to be told that the venue does not provide any wheelchair access at all, not even to the ground floor. I was told, quite abruptly and without apology that there was an eight inch step, no ramp and no disabled toilet facilities, I was told that there used to be level access but the hotel decided to block it with a new reception desk. There was no offer of help to facilitate our visit. I was told that someone would phone me back and I'm still waiting. I understand this is an ancient building and access to upper levels might not be possible but there must be at least some provision for wheelchair users. Excluding disabled people in this way is in breach of the Disability Discrimination Act (as well as being discourteous). It may also be in breach of the latest building regulations. This is not the type of service I would expect from a so-called 'elite' venue who could easily afford a ramp and an accessible toilet. Even back street cafes and corner shops try to meet the needs of a large section of the population who have money to spend and enjoy eating out the same as anyone else. Quite frankly the experience I had of the Ackergill Tower can only be called disgusting. It makes us wonder, given the high class aura this place tries to cultivate, whether wheelchair users are not sufficiently glamorous to be allowed admittance? In any case, we had a wonderful lunch at Mackays instead, where the food and the welcome is always faultless.

7 Thank Dorothy P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Delightful experience”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Being my first visit to the castle, I was looking forward to my Afternoon Tea. The experience outweighed my expectations. We had unlimited supply of freshly brewed teas and coffees, with a 3-tier display of a variety of delicious baking delights. The scones were superb!
We were sat next to a fireplace in one of the rooms at the side, where we could see out to the sea, which was beautiful. The service was very pleasant and polite, and the waitress kindly gave us a tour around the castle, which was extremely kind.

I would definitely recommend this experience!

• Visited March 2013