“One of the best B&B I have stayed in.”
Review of The Clachan

The Clachan
Ranked #1 of 19 Wick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My wife and I were on a trip to Orkney. We stayed at the Clachan for just one night. I tried for more but she was fully booked.
Elspeth the owner went out of her way to ensure our stay was as good as it could be. She provided detailed information on where we could eat in Wick. She also identified our need for an early breakfast and offered it before we had to ask.
This is an exceptional B&B. 3 rooms are in a wing at the back of the house. The attention to detail in the design and execution is the best I have seen. The attention to detail in the breakfast room as also good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hugh C

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I came to Wick to find my roots and found the Clachen. If I could, I would be back tomorrow, just simply to chat with Elspbeth. What a warm soul she is. I truly felt at home with her and she gave me such help in finding my relative , Donald Bain. As well as that, she provided the best accommodation we have found on our journey in Scotland. We have stayed in several, and hers ,by far, is the best in it's ambience,food for breakfast, cleanliness,(next to godliness) Quietness, Helpfulness, It is nothing but the best. I am sure much thought and planning has gone into this endeavour by both Jasper and Elspbeth. God bless you both for providing us tourists with such a wonderful place to rest our heads. Barb and Lyle Stricker

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

It comes no better. The Clachan was a superb experience and so was meeting Elspeth. All through our stay she was so very kind and helpful with ideas for sights and restaurants. We had a huge, spotless twin room at the end of the house and absolutely enjoyed the space and quiet it offered.

We stayed two nights as we had planned to go on the maxi day tour to Orkney with the John O'Groats Ferries. Elspeth made us a slightly earlier breakfast to send us off in time. The trip to Orkney was absolutely fantastic and we recommend it to everyone, just as we recommend The Clachan. It is the reason to go to Wick.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Elsbeth was awaiting our arrival and welcomed us to her lovely B and B. lots of ideas for sights, we were only there for 1 night bust made the most if it. Room was cozy with a lovely bath, breakfast delicious! Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Easy to find on the main road, easy parking.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen Q
Reviewed 27 July 2013

5-star rooms, 5-star proprietor! If we could, we took Elspeth home!! Will certainly return!
We are 4 friends who made a motorcycle trip from Land's End to John O'Groats. Staying at the Clachan was a very pleasant surprise! Excellent everything!

Greetings from Belgium!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Koen S
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The single night we stayed at the Clachan was not enough. The proprietor is extremely kind and helpful (Elspeth even offered to drive us to the Wick Heritage Centre because at the time of our arrival, final entry time was drawing close -- how lovely!); actually, it was worth the stay merely to chat a bit with Elspeth, she's so wonderful. Our room was very large (and the tartan floor was great ... would like to see more decorations like it to add to the room!), with beds and pillows of a higher quality than I've seen in high-end hotels. Great seating area in the room as well. The bathroom was elegant and spotless. We were told of the fabulous walks around Wick (especially the Castle of Old Wick, and a walk along the shore of the North Sea ... easy walking distances, beautiful scenery). Breakfast had many choices – an impressive number – and was delicious and filling. A fine stay, to be sure: highest recommendation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M J
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I spent a night here back in April. A friend and I were planning to cycle from Land's end to john O'Groats for charity, so we decided I would drive to Wick and leave my car there, then fly back to manchester - so we had a vehicle near John O'Groats to bring our bikes back after the journey.
The room was great - comfortable bed and all mod cons. Breakfast was immaculate. Then I aksed Elspeth (Landlady) where would be safe to park the car - and she offered to watch over it for me for the month while I was away.

So we went off and did the ride - I called a couple of days before getting to John O'Groats to let them know I would be picking the car up soon...and Elspeth and her husband very kinly offered to deliver my car to John O'Groats to save us the last 17 miles of cycling, As it turned out this was a real godsend as the weather was atrocious!

So what a great B&B and hosts who bent over backwards to help me out and wouldn't take a penny for their extra time and effort.

If only all B&B's were like this!!

Austin Underwood, Lancashire