“First class hospitality and very comfortable” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Highlander B & B
Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Arbroath, United Kingdom
“First class hospitality and very comfortable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

I'm a courier who travels nationwide and booked the Highlander B&B for a short overnight stay. I received a text message with all the B&B's details and info of my booking following my phone call which I thought was useful. I had booked a single room but upon my arrival I was upgraded to a double, was very clean, decent sized room, shower looked recently refurbished, altogether completely adequate. As I was the last for breakfast I was given a 'doggy bag' containing fruit, bread and cold meat away with me for my journey, felt like I'd been staying with my aunt who always despatches me with a pack lunch after I visit! You don't get that at any 5 star hotels! This place is very reasonably priced, it's basic but thats reflected in the price, was the cheapest I could find in Inverness on that day, and with the excellent service I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank 77ninja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Despite a great location and reasonable cleanliness, I wouldn't recommend this b&b.The rooms are badly designed with uncomfortable beds, see-through curtains and very average facilities. All of this would have been tolerable, if not coupled with the extremely unhelpful and unfriendly hostess. Any reasonable request is a problem for her and a smile is to much effort.

• Stayed June 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

This B&B has an excellent location, walking distance to the main retail area of Inverness. Get directions in advance because it is not an easy place to find. We were required to pay well in advance, which is probably because the house is, well, as other reviewers have mentioned, poorly remodeled. Our room had a great view, was clean, but the TV didn't work, the faucet needed to be properly repaired, etc... The Latvian woman who runs the place is simply marvelous, very helpful, accommodating, and made one of the best breakfasts we had in Scotland.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Ilford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Friendly & helpful Latvian lass who cooked a good breakfast. Room was a bit small but clean. Only one curtain so couldn't draw it open, shower room a bit tatty but wifi worked well. Would use again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Cheap, clean and remarkably quiet B&B close to the town centre. Not too sure what people expect for such low prices (in comparison to other accommodations in Inverness), yeah breakfast is not great but did the job (filled up on toast, mushrooms and yogurt - all fine).

Would use again just because of location and that fact we don't book at this price and plan to use the accommodation as much more than a sleeping base, a job it fulfills perfectly well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kazclogs
Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

I don't usually write a negative review, I always try to see the positive things about hotels I visited. I've been in many bed and breakfast in my travel to Europe this summer understanding that a b&b is a remodeled home, most of the times the lady in charge is the owner she serves a wonderful breakfast and their rooms are very cozy.

I felt very disappointed to arrive to this B&B "The Highlander" in Inverness, the worst hotel I have ever been and this why:

The home is a very bad remodeled home, our room measured 2.40 by 3.00 square meters. The bed is hardly a double bed, the curtains didn't hide the light of the day, I had a tiny TV that never worked, but the worst thing in this room was the big window on the roof with NO curtains and we happen to be in the longest day of the year June 21st. It was daylight most of the day and night and at 4 o'clock it was already day again! So we couldn't have a good night sleep. The badroom measures 1 by 2 sq. Meters with one tiny pink soap. The smallest shower I have ever seen in my life, so unconfortable!
The cost of this horrible B&B was £100.00 at night, which is not a bargain! Even the tea (in Scotland!!) the continental breakfast and the coffee they offered included in the price, was very bad quality.

The most important thing we look when we choose a hotel is to have a night rest, following by the service you get from what you payed. I regret that the lady that was in charge of this B&B was in a terrible mood ever since we arrived in the middle of a storm, we walked from the train station with our luggage! We finally arrived to the house and then we were received by this lady with NOT even a smile in her face. I am sure she is not a professional worker of the tourist world, she doesn't know what a good service is, shame on her because I found Scotish very kind (she was not from the Commonwealth!). I tried to complain at the Tourist board and they couldn't do anything either.

I don't think this is fair for all the people working hard for this industry, The Tourist Department of Inverness, Scotland should not give permission to this kind of places so called B&B! I am very mad and would not reccomend this ugly place to anyone in the world.

Room Tip: Be very carefull to choose a hotel in Inverness contact The Official Tourism Board