“A Piece of Cheese”

The King's Highway
Ranked #78 of 251 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Glasgow
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Piece of Cheese”
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This hotel does what it says on the tin - it's a Wetherspoon's so you don't expect it to be glamorous. The room was fine for one night, clean enough and had everything we needed. Reception staff at the hotel were really friendly and helpful, and it's really handy for concerts at the Iron Works. One part of the experience ruined our stay, and as such I would strongly recommend that if you stay at this hotel you don't venture in to the Wetherspoon's bar downstairs - and definitely don't order food. The background to this is a story about a piece of cheese.............

We ordered 2 cheese burgers at the bar. These took 25 minutes to materialise and when they eventually did appear, only one included cheese. After a lengthy discussion with the waitress about how I had in fact ordered two CHEESE burgers I was then asked to produce my receipt as proof. I was then advised that my order had been taken incorrectly and as such I had only been charged for one piece of cheese. The waitress then asked if I would like some cheese (by this time the burgers were both stone cold) to which I replied "Yes please". I was then required to pay 79p for the extra cheese for the cold burger. Don't get me wrong, I actually found the whole thing quite funny, and was too hungry and in too much of a state of disbelief to challenge any of the terrifically bad customer service. Anyway - to summarise - hotel was fine, with friendly reception staff. Oh, and there's a McDonald's around the corner!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank x-holly-golightly-x

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Inverness deserves better than this.”
Reviewed 11 December 2010

The ancient, historic and lovely city of Inverness with its panorama of mountains, often snow-capped, and with its maritime heritage and its lakes, museums and interesting shops whilst not forgetting its many fine hotels, together with a busy modern airport and bustling immaculate railway station with an associated superb bus network make Inverness a worthy capital of the Highlands and a real jewel in the crown of Scotland. Indeed, of the united kingdom.

I am a great advocate of the Wetherspoon restaurant and bar group which now transcends the whole of the mainland United Kingdom, and in whose bars and restaurants I have spend so many happy hours between Wick and Penzance. It is felt that this progressive organisation has provided the nation with a much needed bounce in the sphere of retail restaurant and bar outlets. Undoubtedly the best uplift in the past fifty years and which provides both simple but good food at competitive prices in a bright and friendly atmosphere. It advertises itself as family friendly.

At the end of November I flew up to inverness to meet my family, consisting of my English daughter, her North West Scot husband, and my little grandson, wee Dan, of just five years. It is an opportunity to have them with me in an hotel in Inverness, and it also gives them a break in Inverness away from the remoteness of far away Wester-Ross.

For a change of scene I decided on the Saturday afternoon, after having been down to Moray (Elgin etc), to have a late lunch in the Wetherspoon restaurant in church Street, Inverness. My family looked forward with anticipation to a nice simple meal in an environment which would be convivial yet not ostentatious.

I remonstrate with myself now in not realising, when witnessing the inebriated and foul mouthed mob, of both sexes, smoking and blocking the pavement outside the establishment, that the interior would, conceivably, not be up to my normal expectation.

My daughter took my grandson and chose a vacant table in the main bar-room, where several other people were sat at tables either eating or drinking, whilst I went with my son-in-law, the few paces to the bar to get something to drink whilst deciding what to order for the main meal. However, before we really had time to even contemplate the mediocrity of the establishment, a surly and potentially nasty lady waitress approached us and told us in an abrupt and in a no uncertain terms way, that if we had a child with us
then we would not be permitted to drink in the establishment unless we bought a meal,
and if that was the case then we would have to move to some area, delineated, I recall,
by some 'colour' system.

I was astounded by what was a rude, to say the least, and most unwelcoming attitude and the like of which I had previously never experienced in any of the many dozens of Wetherspoon establishments that I have visited across the nation. Notwithstanding, but very much 'taken back', I took time to take stock of the interior surroundings.

Having by now had a reasonable time to survey the dining area, I decided that the place was potentially too down market and uninviting to warrant even thinking of eating. I thanked Provedence that I had not booked accommodation for us all to stay in that miserable place, as it had crossed my mind earlier to do, as some of the hotels such as
the 'King's Head' in Monmouth are absolutely superb in all respects.

We wasted no more time in that dismal and awful unwelcoming place, and pushed through the drunks on the pavement and progressed further down the street. Almost immediately we found one of the best and most friendly and welcoming restaurants that I have ever been fortunate enough to visit in the united kingdom, and on which I will subsequently comment under its own name. Church Street was redeemed!

Wetherspoons, Church Street, Inverness is, sadly, not up to the standard that I expect and am familiar with from a Wetherspoon's restaurant and bar. It is dismal(someone else has used the same expression); it requires updating and freshening up, it needs redecorating and the provision of a decent fan system to relieve the fetid atmosphere.
Above all, the lighting system needs modernising. Furthermore, one may well consider that some additional staff training would not be amiss.

The short visit was an awful experience, and one which neither I nor my family will forget.
Inverness deserves better than this from Wetherspoons.

It is so very sad to submit such an adverse review, but I saw nothing favourable on which to comment. Possibly one might say that it is in the middle of the city, and adjacent to public transport and the river. I will certainly never cross its portals again, and I would suggest that any other potential customer exercise some discretion before even entering the place.

3 Thank pastisbilly
Inverness
“Good Quality Pub Grub”
Reviewed 9 August 2010

Okay firstly it is a Wetherspoons, so if you are familiar with the set up you know its basically a no frills pub diner, but what most Wetherspoons lack in finesse you certainly can't fault value for money and good honest British grub!
The Wetherspoons in Inverness unfortunately isn't sited in a grand old building as many of them in cities are, so it does appear very dark and dingy. However after visiting numerous places similar to what you get here (Smith & Jones, Exchange etc etc) Wetherspoons is still the benchmark.
A large shared platter of nachos, two mains, two puddings, a bottle of wine and a pint all for £24..food warm, taste and plentiful, amnaged to get a windown seat, so reasonable view, and all in all knocks spots off other local competitors!

Lancashire
“Good location in the Scottish Highlands”
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Visited Inverness from 9th to 13th March 2009. A good centre to explore the Highlands of Scotland, offering interesting sights to see in the City, with friendly and helpful people.

Unfortunately my visit was spoiled on my last night (12th March) when the pub Manager of Wetherspoon's, The King's Highway, refused to serve me a second drink , even though I was stone cold sober! Unfortunately he was not prepared to give me an explanation for his decision. I found this decision particularly strange as I had enjoyed a meal at the pub on three previous occasions during my visit.

1 Thank DavidfLancashire