“Great, quiet and modern hotel”

pentahotel Inverness
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
“Great, quiet and modern hotel”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on Sunday 13th July, stayed in room 503. View from my room was nice, room was very modern and bathroom was lovely with a big walk in shower. I really enjoyed my night in this hotel as it was quiet and not many children were running around as I've found in other hotels. Bedding was clean and fresh, free water, free toiletry bag and free tv and movies! This hotel is in a prime location, East Gate shopping centre 1 minute walk away and dominos pizza across the road! Staff were friendly and helpful!

• Stayed July 2014
Ina D, General Manager at pentahotel Inverness, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you very much for the 5* review.

It’s great to read you loved the free water, free toiletry bag and free movies. We also offer free WIFI; I hope you were able to enjoy it.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Ina Davies, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights recently. The room was clean and spacious, with a modern feel. Not a huge amount of facilities in the room (tv, kettle, hairdryer) but everything you need. Staff at reception, which is also the bar, were helpful and welcoming. Upon asking if an iron was available, one was brought up to the room promptly.
The only slight negative point was the temperature in the room, it was very warm and the noise of air conditioning units on neighbouring buildings meant we couldn't keep the windows open during the night.
Breakfast was fantastic. A huge selection available and the staff were on top of keeping it well stocked.
Would definitely stay here again...for the Danish pastries if nothing else!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
It’s great to read your positive review; our team are delighted with the feedback.

Breakfast is certainly very popular and I hope you had time to enjoy the large selection we offer.

The weather we have experienced lately is not typical for Inverness and I am sorry the heat caused you discomfort. We have fans available on request to make the conditions a little more bearable.

We look forward to seeing you again in future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel in late June, booking (and paying) via hotels.com. I go to Inverness once a month for business and had stayed here last winter when it was the Encore and vowed not to return as the beds were not overly comfy and I could find better hotels nearby. This time my hotel of choice was booked out so I reluctantly chose to stay at the Penahotel, but was hopeful that after its upgrade things would be different.

As has been said the reception is the bar, quirky but not an issue. I was told on arrival that my booking had not been pre-paid, which I assured them it had, as i had paid hotels.com - they said no its defiantly not, so I handed over my credit card as after a long day i was starting to doubt myself. Sure enough I have now been charged twice and have had to waste my time today calling hotels.com to call the hotel to rectify it - to be told it will take up to 5 working days to get my money back. No apology or anything - great service.

The actual stay will be my last as unfortunately, the upgrade to the bar/ lobby/ restaurant is all that has been done. The rooms are still the same, maybe a bigger TV but who travels to sit in a room and watch TV? As the last time the bed was uncomfortable and creaked every time you moved, the bedspread had a lovely long black hair on it and after walking across the room my white socks were no longer white.

Such a shame as there are good points to the hotel - the free wifi (although it seemed to kick you off every 45 mins for some reason) was fast, the breakfast is great and has a huge selection and all seemed very fresh and the staff all seemed nice enough.

Having comfy beds and getting a good night’s sleep is kind of the point of booking a hotel so I won’t be going back and have booked another hotel close by for my stay in Inverness next week - at a much higher rate

Room Tip: go to another hotel
3 Thank Tweetiepie99
Thank you for taking time to post your review.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We completed the ground floor refurbishment on 21st March and plan to refurbish the bedrooms next.

All rooms have free WIFI and free pay TV with the latest blockbusters.

Best regards

Ina Davies
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let's start with the location; pretty central (200 metres to the river, 500 to the Castle), and two doors down from the (inappropriately named) Gentleman's Club. It's not a great street but walk two blocks and the environs improve. Now for the property itself. What hits you when you walk in from the street are the flashing, glitter disco ball lights, neon strobes and nightclub decor of Reception. Which is also the Bar. And the Restaurant. Can't imagine relaxing here for an evening cocktail and very few were. Maybe the locals like it. We beat a hasty retreat to our room, where a modern, somewhat austere welcome awaited us. No fridge, no wardrobe (hanging rail & hangers instead) but one enormous TV. Positives: free wifi, free pay TV, tea & coffee making facilities. Negatives: ineffectual shower, cheap amenities (can't stand being given a mini tube of shower gel in lieu of soap for sink and shower). But the decider on providing a 2 rating was the bed. It was a tiny double with a lumpy, low mattress and large, uncomfortable pillows. No top sheet so it was duvet (too hot) or nothing (too cold). Given that the main item one uses in a hotel is the bed, this example was just rubbish. The fact that I could have booked online for £74 and was offered £79 a night at Reception also irked: apparently it's impossible for Reception to change the tariff in the system so my advice is to book in advance via a booking engine such as HotelClub - you won't get the best price from the hotel. That's of course if you choose to stay there at all. We won't be visiting again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am extremely sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We appreciate the 'penta' concept will not be to everyone’s taste, your feedback is valuable to us.

The 'pentalounge' is very popular with our guests, both visitors to the area and local guests. Our cocktail list is extensive and at the weekend it proves to be a very relaxing space to catch up with friends and relax.

Best regards

Ina Davies, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

London
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stay her for work and it's the best hotel in our network. If I was visiting Inverness for a holiday I would recommend this hotel as well. I always have an early start and the Chef is in at first light to prepare the BEST breakfast in Scotland. The staff are friendly and there's comfy sofas with a pool table and cosy corners in the bar.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Matt
Thank you so much for your great review.
'Best hotel breakfast in Scotland!' our breakfast chef is delighted to be recognised.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Ina Davies
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at the Penta hotel for 3 nights recently, first impression was very good with an up market interior feel about it.
Sadly this was let down with the price/quality of food, first night I had a prawn cocktail followed by a double cheeseburger, called the heart attack burger, unfortunately there was not much taste from either the prawn cocktail or burger. ate out the next night at the Rajah restaurant just round the corner from the hotel, this is well worth a visit, busy for a Wednesday which is a good sign, the meal was reasonably priced and the food was really good. gave the hotel another chance on the Thursday, this was far better, I had the sirloin steak which was cooked to perfection but was priced at £25, most places would charge around about £18-£20. biggest let down for the hotel was the waiting staff on the Thursday, sat at table for 15 minutes before being approached, girl said she would be back, another 15 minutes had passed so decided to seek her out, she replied that she had to have a break.
The room was pretty basic, large enough with wooden floor but no cupboard space just a small rack with 6 coat hangers, not much for a double room.
Never a 4 star hotel although I have stayed in a lot of worse places, not a great advertisement for foreign travellers with the prices set so high, the Mecure hotel food is far better plus they also have a pool/sauna, although the Mecure hotel can be noisy if your room is on the street side, the Mecure rooms are slightly dated but the hotel is better than the Penta.

Room Tip: The only thing I can say about the Penta room was it was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ina D, General Manager at pentahotel Inverness, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear sanders24

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and use all feedback to continually improve our customer service and guest experience.

I am extremely sorry for the service you received on your last evening, I have sent you a message off line to address this.

We do hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Kind regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've stayed in this hotel twice now in 2013 and 2014. It has changed ownership during this period. The rooms seem the same, although this year I was in a disabled access room that was much larger and had a huge bathroom that was more like a wet room with primary colour railings. My colleagues were in rooms much like mine in 2013. The main changes seem to be in the reception and bar area. Reception doubles for the area for bar orders, and the room is dominated by TV monitors and a large screen. As I was there during the World Cup, it seemed more like a sports bar, which I didn't mind as I love football. Price for a large white wine by the glass is £6.50, pricey albeit good wine. The location is excellent. My room was stuffy, and I didn't sleep very well over the three nights. If I opened a window, it was noisy as my room overlooked the bar patio area.

Dear RosaBonheur

We do hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Kind regards,