“A trendy jazzy hotel....”

pentahotel Inverness
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very nice hotel with a great lounge area. The hotel reception brings you directly in a bar lounge with a trendy decor! You feel like you are in another world. It also makes you wnat to party as you arrive! The breakfast was great and diner as well. The hotel is well located not far from the train station. The room was great and luxurious with plenty of room to spare.

Room Tip: Make sure to buy your breakfast as you check in and you will save 5 pounds per person. Also, make su...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ina D, General Manager at pentahotel Inverness, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Andre

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and very much appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.
We are very proud of our new 'pentalounge', it certainly is great place to relax and enjoy a coffee or cocktail!

We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Booked the Penta for a hen night, just drinks in the bar no rooms! Love the atmosphere and the look but it took at least 25 minutes from ordering 4 vodka & soda for them to be served. Barmaid disappeared at least twice with no explanation and the £36 bill outrageous not even a smile!!!!!

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Laura

I'm very sorry you felt we were less than welcoming. We pride ourselves on the customer service you offer and failed on this occasion.

I hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stopped over in Invernesss for one night on our trip around Scotland. We picked Pentahotel for its central location - and it is within easy walking distance to the town centre. However that is the only positive I can recommend for this hotel.

We stayed in room 101 on the first floor, overlooking the busy Academy Street. Staying in summer we soon found out that the room was not airconditioned, but it was too noisy to keep our window open due to buses and traffic outside all night, so the room was stifling. While the room itself was clean with a cheap and cheerful fit out, it was pretty sparse with no wardrobe to hang our clothes or any cupboards - only a small shelf with tea/coffee paraphernalia and a desk which was taken up by a TV. There were also only two power points in the room, and with two people we had two phones and a laptop - so we had to draw straws for what we could charge up.

And then there was the bed. I think I would have had a better night's sleep on a creaky boat lying on a wooden plank. It felt and sounded like it was going to collapse any time one of us rolled over which kept me awake all night - and my partner woke up barely able to walk due to a sore back. Another pet hate was being woken up by the cleaner trying to get into our room at 8am thinking we had checked out. With a checkout at midday it's not hard to cross check with reception who has checked out and who hasn't.

Tried to let 'reception' aka the bar staff know on check out about our less than positive stay but after waiting for the lady to get off the phone for 5 minutes and being gestured to just hand over my room key there was no opportunity.

A funky (albeit severely overpriced) bar and a big TV in the room is all well and good, but a comfortable bed and getting a good night’s sleep is more important so we definitely won’t be staying here again.

Room Tip: Nothing facing Academy Street unless you want to be kept up all night (but the bed will do that anyw...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I'm sorry to hear your stay was not an enjoyable one.

We strive to provide our guests with the very best customer service and whilst we are by no means perfect we do work hard to improve and respond to any feedback, good or bad.

I will be sure to pass your comments to our team and I do hope that if you would like to discuss this with me personally you would contact our hotel directly. Room 101 faces the rear of the hotel, if you can send me some details by private mail I will be able to locate the room you occupied and replace the bed. ina.davies@pentahotels.com.

I do hope you will accept our apologies for the issues you encountered and I hope you will consider our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on Sunday 13th July, stayed in room 503. View from my room was nice, room was very modern and bathroom was lovely with a big walk in shower. I really enjoyed my night in this hotel as it was quiet and not many children were running around as I've found in other hotels. Bedding was clean and fresh, free water, free toiletry bag and free tv and movies! This hotel is in a prime location, East Gate shopping centre 1 minute walk away and dominos pizza across the road! Staff were friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you very much for the 5* review.

It’s great to read you loved the free water, free toiletry bag and free movies. We also offer free WIFI; I hope you were able to enjoy it.

We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights recently. The room was clean and spacious, with a modern feel. Not a huge amount of facilities in the room (tv, kettle, hairdryer) but everything you need. Staff at reception, which is also the bar, were helpful and welcoming. Upon asking if an iron was available, one was brought up to the room promptly.
The only slight negative point was the temperature in the room, it was very warm and the noise of air conditioning units on neighbouring buildings meant we couldn't keep the windows open during the night.
Breakfast was fantastic. A huge selection available and the staff were on top of keeping it well stocked.
Would definitely stay here again...for the Danish pastries if nothing else!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

It’s great to read your positive review; our team are delighted with the feedback.

Breakfast is certainly very popular and I hope you had time to enjoy the large selection we offer.

The weather we have experienced lately is not typical for Inverness and I am sorry the heat caused you discomfort. We have fans available on request to make the conditions a little more bearable.

We look forward to seeing you again in future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel in late June, booking (and paying) via hotels.com. I go to Inverness once a month for business and had stayed here last winter when it was the Encore and vowed not to return as the beds were not overly comfy and I could find better hotels nearby. This time my hotel of choice was booked out so I reluctantly chose to stay at the Penahotel, but was hopeful that after its upgrade things would be different.

As has been said the reception is the bar, quirky but not an issue. I was told on arrival that my booking had not been pre-paid, which I assured them it had, as i had paid hotels.com - they said no its defiantly not, so I handed over my credit card as after a long day i was starting to doubt myself. Sure enough I have now been charged twice and have had to waste my time today calling hotels.com to call the hotel to rectify it - to be told it will take up to 5 working days to get my money back. No apology or anything - great service.

The actual stay will be my last as unfortunately, the upgrade to the bar/ lobby/ restaurant is all that has been done. The rooms are still the same, maybe a bigger TV but who travels to sit in a room and watch TV? As the last time the bed was uncomfortable and creaked every time you moved, the bedspread had a lovely long black hair on it and after walking across the room my white socks were no longer white.

Such a shame as there are good points to the hotel - the free wifi (although it seemed to kick you off every 45 mins for some reason) was fast, the breakfast is great and has a huge selection and all seemed very fresh and the staff all seemed nice enough.

Having comfy beds and getting a good night’s sleep is kind of the point of booking a hotel so I won’t be going back and have booked another hotel close by for my stay in Inverness next week - at a much higher rate

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Tweetiepie99

Thank you for taking time to post your review.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We completed the ground floor refurbishment on 21st March and plan to refurbish the bedrooms next.

All rooms have free WIFI and free pay TV with the latest blockbusters.

Ina Davies

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Let's start with the location; pretty central (200 metres to the river, 500 to the Castle), and two doors down from the (inappropriately named) Gentleman's Club. It's not a great street but walk two blocks and the environs improve. Now for the property itself. What hits you when you walk in from the street are the flashing, glitter disco ball lights, neon strobes and nightclub decor of Reception. Which is also the Bar. And the Restaurant. Can't imagine relaxing here for an evening cocktail and very few were. Maybe the locals like it. We beat a hasty retreat to our room, where a modern, somewhat austere welcome awaited us. No fridge, no wardrobe (hanging rail & hangers instead) but one enormous TV. Positives: free wifi, free pay TV, tea & coffee making facilities. Negatives: ineffectual shower, cheap amenities (can't stand being given a mini tube of shower gel in lieu of soap for sink and shower). But the decider on providing a 2 rating was the bed. It was a tiny double with a lumpy, low mattress and large, uncomfortable pillows. No top sheet so it was duvet (too hot) or nothing (too cold). Given that the main item one uses in a hotel is the bed, this example was just rubbish. The fact that I could have booked online for £74 and was offered £79 a night at Reception also irked: apparently it's impossible for Reception to change the tariff in the system so my advice is to book in advance via a booking engine such as HotelClub - you won't get the best price from the hotel. That's of course if you choose to stay there at all. We won't be visiting again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I am extremely sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We appreciate the 'penta' concept will not be to everyone’s taste, your feedback is valuable to us.

The 'pentalounge' is very popular with our guests, both visitors to the area and local guests. Our cocktail list is extensive and at the weekend it proves to be a very relaxing space to catch up with friends and relax.