“Comfortable but overpriced and bad attitude”

pentahotel Inverness
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Comfortable but overpriced and bad attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at the Pentahotel with my partner for a short break in Inverness recently. We were pleased with the location and were able to park at the multi-story car park a short distance away which was very reasonably priced. Checking in at the hotel bar was unusual but since it was quiet we didn't mind. The member of staff on shift was friendly and gave a good impression.

The room was basic and seemed more like a travel lodge (much more expensive though!), but was clean and comfortable. However, the heat was incredible overnight and we barely slept a wink!

We had a few drinks in the hotel bar in the evening and while the service was extremely slow and the barmaid didn't know how to make the £8 cocktail they were advertising, it was a nice atmosphere with really comfortable seating.

When we were checking out the next day the same girl as the morning before gave us our invoice which we didn't realise was missing two of the cocktails we had ordered the previous night. I paid the bill and we went on our way. Over the coming days I have received 3 phone calls and 2 voicemails from the hotel demanding payment for these drinks. - £16 worth. I asked if they had my card details already and they said they hadn't taken them so needed a payment over the phone. I was out for a walk at the time of the phone call and didn't have my purse with me so said I would be in touch. When I got home I became quite irritated at the way in which I had been phoned for the payments of drinks they had been too careless to charge for, compounded by the fact they had forgotten to take a deposit from me in the first place. I was now being inconvenienced for their mistake. Subsequently when they called me while I was at work. Both calls being during working hours, I couldn't pick up the call and have decided that I will continue to ignore their requests for payment based on the inconvenience their mistake and carelessness is causing me, all for the measly sum of £16.

This hotel need to learn to accept that if you have forgotten to take a deposit for a room and forgotten to charge for two drinks (one of which was apparently too challenging to make in the first place) then you should accept quiet defeat on the matter, and not expect a customer to make a payment over the phone using their credit card for such a tiny sum, and for something that was not at all their fault in the first place.

I would recommend staying in an alternative hotel and have entirely annoyed at the manner in which this hotel have conducted themselves.

2 Thank Megan M
Ina D, General Manager at pentahotel Inverness, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Megan

Thanks for your review. It’s great you were able to enjoy the new 'pentalounge' and found the location convenient.

I am extremely sorry for the oversight with your account and the customer service you experienced thereafter. The call was made by one of our managers; she is often complimented for her friendliness. Unfortunately, this did not translate over the phone.

I hope this will not deter you from staying again in the future.

Ina Davies, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Literally steps away from both train & bus & close to many restaurants & the river. Room was nice, but the tv/movie system was ridiculously complicated. Also they spray a very strong scent in the lobby--like men's cologne--but our room was blessedly free of perfumes. Good morning breakfast spread.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the location to by easy and convenient.

We very much appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Highlands of Scotland again soon.

Kind regards,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Very nice hotel with a great lounge area. The hotel reception brings you directly in a bar lounge with a trendy decor! You feel like you are in another world. It also makes you wnat to party as you arrive! The breakfast was great and diner as well. The hotel is well located not far from the train station. The room was great and luxurious with plenty of room to spare.

Room Tip: Make sure to buy your breakfast as you check in and you will save 5 pounds per person. Also, make su...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Andre

I'm so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and very much appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.
We are very proud of our new 'pentalounge', it certainly is great place to relax and enjoy a coffee or cocktail!

We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Booked the Penta for a hen night, just drinks in the bar no rooms! Love the atmosphere and the look but it took at least 25 minutes from ordering 4 vodka & soda for them to be served. Barmaid disappeared at least twice with no explanation and the £36 bill outrageous not even a smile!!!!!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Laura

I'm very sorry you felt we were less than welcoming. We pride ourselves on the customer service you offer and failed on this occasion.

I hope you will visit us again in the future.

Ina Davies, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Inverness hotels

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stopped over in Invernesss for one night on our trip around Scotland. We picked Pentahotel for its central location - and it is within easy walking distance to the town centre. However that is the only positive I can recommend for this hotel.

We stayed in room 101 on the first floor, overlooking the busy Academy Street. Staying in summer we soon found out that the room was not airconditioned, but it was too noisy to keep our window open due to buses and traffic outside all night, so the room was stifling. While the room itself was clean with a cheap and cheerful fit out, it was pretty sparse with no wardrobe to hang our clothes or any cupboards - only a small shelf with tea/coffee paraphernalia and a desk which was taken up by a TV. There were also only two power points in the room, and with two people we had two phones and a laptop - so we had to draw straws for what we could charge up.

And then there was the bed. I think I would have had a better night's sleep on a creaky boat lying on a wooden plank. It felt and sounded like it was going to collapse any time one of us rolled over which kept me awake all night - and my partner woke up barely able to walk due to a sore back. Another pet hate was being woken up by the cleaner trying to get into our room at 8am thinking we had checked out. With a checkout at midday it's not hard to cross check with reception who has checked out and who hasn't.

Tried to let 'reception' aka the bar staff know on check out about our less than positive stay but after waiting for the lady to get off the phone for 5 minutes and being gestured to just hand over my room key there was no opportunity.

A funky (albeit severely overpriced) bar and a big TV in the room is all well and good, but a comfortable bed and getting a good night’s sleep is more important so we definitely won’t be staying here again.

Room Tip: Nothing facing Academy Street unless you want to be kept up all night (but the bed will do that anyw...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I'm sorry to hear your stay was not an enjoyable one.

We strive to provide our guests with the very best customer service and whilst we are by no means perfect we do work hard to improve and respond to any feedback, good or bad.

I will be sure to pass your comments to our team and I do hope that if you would like to discuss this with me personally you would contact our hotel directly. Room 101 faces the rear of the hotel, if you can send me some details by private mail I will be able to locate the room you occupied and replace the bed. ina.davies@pentahotels.com.

I do hope you will accept our apologies for the issues you encountered and I hope you will consider our hotel again in the future.

Best regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on Sunday 13th July, stayed in room 503. View from my room was nice, room was very modern and bathroom was lovely with a big walk in shower. I really enjoyed my night in this hotel as it was quiet and not many children were running around as I've found in other hotels. Bedding was clean and fresh, free water, free toiletry bag and free tv and movies! This hotel is in a prime location, East Gate shopping centre 1 minute walk away and dominos pizza across the road! Staff were friendly and helpful!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you very much for the 5* review.

It’s great to read you loved the free water, free toiletry bag and free movies. We also offer free WIFI; I hope you were able to enjoy it.

We hope to see you again very soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with my partner for 2 nights recently. The room was clean and spacious, with a modern feel. Not a huge amount of facilities in the room (tv, kettle, hairdryer) but everything you need. Staff at reception, which is also the bar, were helpful and welcoming. Upon asking if an iron was available, one was brought up to the room promptly.
The only slight negative point was the temperature in the room, it was very warm and the noise of air conditioning units on neighbouring buildings meant we couldn't keep the windows open during the night.
Breakfast was fantastic. A huge selection available and the staff were on top of keeping it well stocked.
Would definitely stay here again...for the Danish pastries if nothing else!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
It’s great to read your positive review; our team are delighted with the feedback.

Breakfast is certainly very popular and I hope you had time to enjoy the large selection we offer.

The weather we have experienced lately is not typical for Inverness and I am sorry the heat caused you discomfort. We have fans available on request to make the conditions a little more bearable.

We look forward to seeing you again in future.