“Very interactive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Highland Aviation Museum
Ranked #29 of 80 things to do in Inverness
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Highland Aviation Museum is a family friendly, educational attraction just next to Inverness Airport. You can see a range of real life historic military aircraft and even go inside & pretend to be a fighter pilot. For the more avid enthusiasts, there are a wealth of technical facts and historical artifacts to browse. Our displays contain materials dating back as far as WW1. Come along to enjoy a great couple of hours.
Findochty
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very interactive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Took my 4 year old plane fanatic son along for a visit. Although not much to look at from the fence, once inside beginning with the very friendly welcome from a most knowledgable chap we went on a great adventure. The gentleman took a lot of time to show my son many great photos of aircraft, whilst recounting tales of his own experiences.
We then ventured outside and were left to explore the various aircraft and cockpits at our leisure. My son and I thoroughly enjoyed clambering into some amazing aircraft, playing with controls, pulling levers and flicking switches. A great learning experience for him and so much fun for us both. Back in the cabin we looked at the many artefacts, a number of which had local interest and chatted further to the gentleman. Last great thing was my son donning the pilot helmet and being strapped into the ejector seat for a photo. Brilliant fun and a thoroughly enjoyable day for us both. Well done to the people involved for giving up their free time to run a venture like this. A lot of work has gone into it and continues with the Tornado GR1 restoration. Great effort!
For those who chose to criticise and attempt to compare with places like Duxford, on a relative scale where IWM Duxford receives large sums of donations and funds, this can't compare. However good luck getting to clamber about freely in a Vickers Valiant or English Electric Lightning at Duxford. Highland Aviation Museum gives you the opportunity to experience and interact with aviation history and heritage, which is the best way to learn. Loved it and will definitely go back again!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Ryan2208

Dumbarton
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Highland Aviation Museum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My first impressions were that it the museum looked pretty rundown, however it turned out to be really good and getting into the cockpit of many of the aircraft was quite exciting. Worth a visit especially with children.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Mirren
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Small but full of planes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Loved this museum. you could get so close to the aircraft.
My partner thought it was amazing. Signage could be better for it.

Visited September 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A must for anyone interested in classic aircraft”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

Spent all day at Dalcross on Saturday. Enjoyed it so much I went back on the Sunday with all my kids! Unlike most museums you are able to touch and get into the aircraft. The guys that run the place are so helpful and full of facts and interesting stories you feel that they really want you to enjoy the visit and get the most out of it. For a minimum fee you can stay all day and come and go if you need to pop out for any reason. You can get into the cockpits of the Lightning and Buccaneer where there are no limits to where your imagination can take you. Ask nicely and they can put a Bonedome on your kids and get them strapped into an ejector seat, whether you leave them strapped in is always a tempting thought. We brought a picnic lunch and ate it in the Handley Page Herald then went up and into the Nimrod,and although it is the front only there is still about 50 feet of it to wander through !!. The kids loved getting into the Valiant bomber and my youngest son then spent ages putting out the imaginary fire from the crash landing using the fire engine that was parked in the corner. I have always had an affection for the Buccaneer so to see a Mk1 and get into the cockpit which the owner generously let me clamber into really made my day. I cannot say enough about this real Gem of the North but to say that it is a real treat would be an understatement. I would like to thank James, John and Stan for sharing their time with me and my kids to make it a super few days for us all. What an amazing visit, As Arnie says "I'll be back!"

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Rod and Kathari... L
Glasgow, United Kingdom
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“worth the visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

My Hubby and Dad went here and enjoyed every minute of it. They actually managed to spend quite a few hours here, was surprised they didn't get thrown out. They have both said they would like to go back

Visited September 2013