“Not recommended place, be warned!!!!”
Review of Melrose Villa

Melrose Villa
Ranked #203 of 229 Inverness B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Not recommended place, be warned!!!!”
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Absolutely dreadful place. We couldn't ignore the filth of the place. It has never been cleaned properly and never dusted. The smell of dogs greeted us as well as we arrived. Even the bed boards were covered in dust and a mucky soap bar was left in the toilet for use, what an insult!!!!

Never again!!!!

AM from Mexico

Room Tip: Read all the reviews first so this can give you a better idea of the place.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ana Maria O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Benbecula Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Was met by the proprietor Kenny upon arrival and he's a cheery chap, just the right kind of guy to run a B&B. Told me some good places to go for a meal (including The Mustard Seed which was fantastic) and answered any questions I had. I was in room 7, a nice little en-suite room with freeview and access to wi-fi. I can't comment on the breakfast as I although I stayed for two nights I slept in the first (hangover!) and was away early the second. The room was well worth £35 a night and if I'm in Inverness again, I'd have no problem staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I had the misfortune of staying here one night in Sept 2012, it was like going back in time, my first impression when I arrived at 4.00 pm to check in, the 1st of many hand written aggressive rules met me "we cant hear you knock, so ring the bell" the next one was stuck on a mirror in the porch by black felt tip pen "check in 4.30-8.00 ONLY" I wasnt getting in till then, there was no answer. the place is covered with these horrible notes, too many to list.
There is a very strong smell of dogs in this establishment, I am not against dogs, just dont like to live with them or smell them. Also a smell of boiling ham.The single room I had at the front was tiny, the bed was uncomfortable and when the electric flush toilet was explained to me with its rules of only bodily functions allowed down it, it gave me the creeps, half bottle of morrisons shower gel and a used bar of soap was off puting. the unlabled sweets and biscuit(singular) were pointless. The breakfast; the dinning room is clutterville, the milk was either off or just about to go off, I couldnt finish my cereal. The scrambbled egg I ordered was a runny blob, it was almost white in colour and tasteless, I left it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jimbo367
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed here for one night before heading out on walking holiday. It was OK, but nothing more. The room was small and the decor was tired, but it was clean, the breakfast was good. I was surprised to find the heating on in my room although it was a rather warm day. Also a fan heater in the dining room made the room uncomfortably warm. I would personally not return. It also has to be said that there's a ''for sale'' sign out front, so maybe the owner just isn't interested anymore. That was the impression I got.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Melrose Villa is located under a 10 minute walk from Inverness City centre - just over the bridge. I was up for the big RUNRIG concert in the Northern Meeting Park, which was also just a 5 minute walk away, so couldn't fault the location.

My single room with en suite was fine for me. Very small with a wall-mounted portable TV leading to a toilet, sink and shower in the en suite. I just had a small hold-all with me, but can see how if you had a lot of luggage you might struggle to fit everything in the room without falling over it. Perfectly clean though and bed was comfy. The tea and coffee facilities were welcome.

Breakfast was hearty - bacon, egg, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, tomato and toast. Could have done with a tattie scone for that Highland feel, but was tasty none the less. Cereal, orange/apple juice, fruit, tea and coffee was also on offer.

I'd recommend this B&B to anyone wanting a cheap bed for a night or 2 in Inverness City Centre. The host - Kenny, was also very friendly and had a good knowledge of the local attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms 5 and 6 apparently have to share a bathroom. If this bothers you, ask for one of the others.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Discusting bathroom, no heating, food that's past due, owner who's not there when guests arrive and who doesn't care or apologize about it, paper thin walls, wi-fi connexion that works so badly you just want to throw the computer off the window, furniture that's useless since it's stuck behind a bed, tiny twin room not ensuite when it's supposed to be, such an uncomfortable matress that you can count the springs in it... what more is there to say?! This place was recommended by Petit fûté... this book is not even reliable! Most of the spots it recommends are badly rated on trip advisor!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gaya24_12
Boston, MA
Reviewed 17 April 2012

THis was an unexpected find. Our expectations were low since we found this at the last minute. However, we couldn't have been more wrong. From the moment we arrived, our host, Kenny, made us feel at home. He entertained us with wonderful stories during breakfast, together with chocolate Easter eggs for Easter. The breakfast was hearty and plentiful. While our room did not have its own bathroom, we had ready access to one just outside the door. The house was unique and utterly charming. Kenny was one of the most interesting people we met on our travels. He made the experience one to remember.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family