“A charming Scottish experience!”
Review of Melrose Villa

Melrose Villa
Ranked #215 of 232 Inverness B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed here for two nights and found the place to be in a good location (short walk to downtown and to train station), have clean, quiet rooms, and serve an excellent Scottish breakfast. Kenny is a very friendly guy who makes you feel very welcome. The other guests were the real highlight and the breakfast conversations were quite engaging. If you want a genuine experience in a beautiful city, this is the place.

Room Tip: Single room was small, but perfect for a solo traveller.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Melrose Villa

Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed for one night. I tried to contact Kenny about checking in early but no one answered the phone at all. I had tried calling numerous times and at different time of the day but had no luck. Kenny was very friendly the rooms are pretty dated and the bathroom was not very clean. Breakfast was good and everyone was very friendly!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Clean, comfortable, great breakfast, well located - the title speaks for itself - and all at a very reasonable price. This B&B is an old-fashioned gem of a place, only 5 mins walk across the river to the city centre. I had a very comfortable stay here on 3 separate nights during my rail trip from Stonehaven to Kyle of Lochalsh, walking the Great Glen Way from Inverness to Drumnadrochit en route, so the generous, well-cooked breakfast really hit the spot! Kenny is a genial Scots host who makes you feel very welcome - it's just a pity he's retiring from the business and the house is up for sale as there's a definite need for more places like this.

Room Tip: Busy road to the front, so a room to the rear is advisable if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Absolutely dreadful place. We couldn't ignore the filth of the place. It has never been cleaned properly and never dusted. The smell of dogs greeted us as well as we arrived. Even the bed boards were covered in dust and a mucky soap bar was left in the toilet for use, what an insult!!!!

Never again!!!!

AM from Mexico

Room Tip: Read all the reviews first so this can give you a better idea of the place.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ana Maria O
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Was met by the proprietor Kenny upon arrival and he's a cheery chap, just the right kind of guy to run a B&B. Told me some good places to go for a meal (including The Mustard Seed which was fantastic) and answered any questions I had. I was in room 7, a nice little en-suite room with freeview and access to wi-fi. I can't comment on the breakfast as I although I stayed for two nights I slept in the first (hangover!) and was away early the second. The room was well worth £35 a night and if I'm in Inverness again, I'd have no problem staying here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I had the misfortune of staying here one night in Sept 2012, it was like going back in time, my first impression when I arrived at 4.00 pm to check in, the 1st of many hand written aggressive rules met me "we cant hear you knock, so ring the bell" the next one was stuck on a mirror in the porch by black felt tip pen "check in 4.30-8.00 ONLY" I wasnt getting in till then, there was no answer. the place is covered with these horrible notes, too many to list.
There is a very strong smell of dogs in this establishment, I am not against dogs, just dont like to live with them or smell them. Also a smell of boiling ham.The single room I had at the front was tiny, the bed was uncomfortable and when the electric flush toilet was explained to me with its rules of only bodily functions allowed down it, it gave me the creeps, half bottle of morrisons shower gel and a used bar of soap was off puting. the unlabled sweets and biscuit(singular) were pointless. The breakfast; the dinning room is clutterville, the milk was either off or just about to go off, I couldnt finish my cereal. The scrambbled egg I ordered was a runny blob, it was almost white in colour and tasteless, I left it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jimbo367
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I stayed here for one night before heading out on walking holiday. It was OK, but nothing more. The room was small and the decor was tired, but it was clean, the breakfast was good. I was surprised to find the heating on in my room although it was a rather warm day. Also a fan heater in the dining room made the room uncomfortably warm. I would personally not return. It also has to be said that there's a ''for sale'' sign out front, so maybe the owner just isn't interested anymore. That was the impression I got.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo