“Dreadful experience. Beware!!”

Ranked #218 of 247 Inverness B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Dreadful experience. Beware!!”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This B&B has strict check-in times. I arrived at 16:30 (on time) the owner was not present. 10 mins later he rolled up asking if I was waiting for him. I asked if he was the proprietor as he hadn't bothered to introduce himself. He shrugged off the fact he was late without apology simply saying he's usually there! Not true, read other reviews. The entrance vestibule was filthy, covered in scruffy hand-written notices barking do's and don't's at guests. The whole house is covered in such notices. The house smells of dogs, is very dusty and gloomy and the owner clearly has lost interest.
Although I had been led to believe from Eviivo website that a cooked breakfast was provided, I was informed that this had changed and I was asked to pay a hefty supplement (£8) for a cooked breakfast. I breakfasted elsewhere as I was put off by the obviously poor hygiene! I felt utterly misled by the 'Toprooms' description of this property and indeed my poorly rated review has been removed from their website! Disgraceful. All in all an utterly depressing experience and poor value even given the modest room rate. I couldn't wait to leave in the morning. This B&B owner is cynically exploiting unsuspecting guests and if I hadn't paid in advance, I would never have stayed at this location. The owner is as charmless and lugubrious as the property!
Please heed the low rated reviews, from my experience, they are the accurate ones!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank jaime186338

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Snow Lake, MB
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed here for two nights and found the place to be in a good location (short walk to downtown and to train station), have clean, quiet rooms, and serve an excellent Scottish breakfast. Kenny is a very friendly guy who makes you feel very welcome. The other guests were the real highlight and the breakfast conversations were quite engaging. If you want a genuine experience in a beautiful city, this is the place.

Room Tip: Single room was small, but perfect for a solo traveller.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed for one night. I tried to contact Kenny about checking in early but no one answered the phone at all. I had tried calling numerous times and at different time of the day but had no luck. Kenny was very friendly the rooms are pretty dated and the bathroom was not very clean. Breakfast was good and everyone was very friendly!

• Stayed September 2012
Stonehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Clean, comfortable, great breakfast, well located - the title speaks for itself - and all at a very reasonable price. This B&B is an old-fashioned gem of a place, only 5 mins walk across the river to the city centre. I had a very comfortable stay here on 3 separate nights during my rail trip from Stonehaven to Kyle of Lochalsh, walking the Great Glen Way from Inverness to Drumnadrochit en route, so the generous, well-cooked breakfast really hit the spot! Kenny is a genial Scots host who makes you feel very welcome - it's just a pity he's retiring from the business and the house is up for sale as there's a definite need for more places like this.

Room Tip: Busy road to the front, so a room to the rear is advisable if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Absolutely dreadful place. We couldn't ignore the filth of the place. It has never been cleaned properly and never dusted. The smell of dogs greeted us as well as we arrived. Even the bed boards were covered in dust and a mucky soap bar was left in the toilet for use, what an insult!!!!

Never again!!!!

AM from Mexico

Room Tip: Read all the reviews first so this can give you a better idea of the place.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ana Maria O
Benbecula Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Was met by the proprietor Kenny upon arrival and he's a cheery chap, just the right kind of guy to run a B&B. Told me some good places to go for a meal (including The Mustard Seed which was fantastic) and answered any questions I had. I was in room 7, a nice little en-suite room with freeview and access to wi-fi. I can't comment on the breakfast as I although I stayed for two nights I slept in the first (hangover!) and was away early the second. The room was well worth £35 a night and if I'm in Inverness again, I'd have no problem staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I had the misfortune of staying here one night in Sept 2012, it was like going back in time, my first impression when I arrived at 4.00 pm to check in, the 1st of many hand written aggressive rules met me "we cant hear you knock, so ring the bell" the next one was stuck on a mirror in the porch by black felt tip pen "check in 4.30-8.00 ONLY" I wasnt getting in till then, there was no answer. the place is covered with these horrible notes, too many to list.
There is a very strong smell of dogs in this establishment, I am not against dogs, just dont like to live with them or smell them. Also a smell of boiling ham.The single room I had at the front was tiny, the bed was uncomfortable and when the electric flush toilet was explained to me with its rules of only bodily functions allowed down it, it gave me the creeps, half bottle of morrisons shower gel and a used bar of soap was off puting. the unlabled sweets and biscuit(singular) were pointless. The breakfast; the dinning room is clutterville, the milk was either off or just about to go off, I couldnt finish my cereal. The scrambbled egg I ordered was a runny blob, it was almost white in colour and tasteless, I left it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business