“As a Spaniard I must say...”

La Tortilla Asesina
Ranked #34 of 255 Restaurants in Inverness
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Alicante, Spain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“As a Spaniard I must say...”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I am Spanish, so I came into this place out of curiosity, just to see if the food they served was close to what we really eat in Spain.
All in all, it was quite alright. The food is really delicious and the price is affordable, but the serving sizes are too small (In Spain we do eat a lot of tapas, but the serving size is about a regular plate for everybody to share, not a tiny lab sample. Actually people in Spain never come back to a tapas bar if they serve such small quantities of food). The bread basket comes first of all, before ordering food or drinks (we had to wait almost until the end of the meal to get it). Besides, Sigara Boregi is a Turkish dish, not a Spanish one! And we definitely don't put cheese in our tortillas...
Anyway, the food was really nice. I definitely loved the chipirones (they serve big ones!), the patatas bravas (although the sauces are put on top of the taters, not separately), the boquerones and the bread with tomato. The crema catalana is to die for! And I loved the Spanish movie posters on the walls and the ambient music. The place is also a fact that adds to its appeal. And the name of the place is really funny!
In short, the only facts I'd improve is the tapas size (make them bigger) and the bread service (provide it earlier). Apart from that, I liked it. I'd recommend it to friends if they went to Inverness.

Edinburgh
“Tasty food in an attractive setting”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We were two octogenarian tourists, overnighting in Inverness and seeking an attractive one-course evening meal. La Tortilla caught our eyes with a reasonably priced and attractive Spanish menu. We entered a restaurant with an appealing buzz, where we were warmly and pleasantly welcomed and quickly seated. Service of drinks and paellas was swift, and the food very edible. On the next visit to Inverness, we'll be back.

Inverness, United Kingdom
“My favourite for a night out or even a light lunch”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I like the atmosphere of the restaurant and enjoy an evening meal out with friends in this "little Spain". The west coast shell fish and prawns fried in batter were very tasty and my favourite is the various choices of typically Spanish paellas. The selection of wines excellent and probably the best tasting coffee in Inverness! When in town or meeting business friends I find the discounted lunch menu very good value.

Inverness
“Poor - very very, poor”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Went here for a wee celebration with my daughter. I'm sorry but there was nothing good about the place at all. Made us move seats as there was a problem with the seating, the food was awful. Those that are writing how wonderfully Spanish the tapas are have obviously never tasted proper Spanish tapas in Spain. The food is not freshly prepared its all out of a freezer. It's bland uninteresting mass produced and vastly overpriced. Patatas bravas live you've never tasted disgusting fried bits of potatoes with the most awful Marie rose type sauce. Bland paella tasteless. Another obscure bland chicken dish which my daughter though tasted off the list is endless.
As a local I am saddened to have to write such an awful review but its honest. Oh and avoid puddings. Churros the size of your little finger with a shot of sauce a fiver....... Mega rip off......... Sums up the whole evening really
I won't be returning here nor would I recommend to my friends which is a real pity.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank KettlesInverness
United Kingdom
“Tasty dishes and friendly service”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Food was tasty and arrived quickly, with friendly waiting staff. My only grumble was that it was pot luck regarding the portion sizes, some dishes were tiny, others quite generous, luckily we had a mixture of the two or could have left being still hungry. I suppose this may be typical of tapas though.

2 Thank fooooody