“An Adventure of A Lifetime”

The Hebridean Explorer
Ranked #4 of 12 Food & Drink in Inverness
More attraction details
Owner description: Private Tours around the Scottish Highlands and Hebrides with a local Highland guide. Explore stunning views, dramatic landscapes, ancient and medieval history, Scots Gaelic culture and Highland traditions. John Alasdair Macdonald, is a native of the Outer Hebrides and was raised in a Scots Gaelic speaking family. Getting "off the beaten track" and discovering the best of the region is always our aim on all our Highland and Hebridean tours.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I took my husband on a surprise trip to Scotland for his 40th birthday. We spent 1 day of our week long adventure with John, The Hebridean Explorer, on the Isle of Skye Explorer tour. This, by far, was my favorite of the entire trip to Scotland.

Booking the tour was incredibly easy. John was delightful in his correspondence, responsive, and willingly answered all of my (sometimes inane) questions. I could tell just over email we were going to have a great time.

John picked us up at our hotel in Inverness bright and early and we set off for the day. We passed Loch Ness and wove through the picturesque countryside on our way to Skye. We stopped periodically for photo ops and exploration opportunities (such as Eilean Donan Castle, Kilt Rock, Black Cuillin, Old Mann of Storr and more ) and at no time did we feel either rushed, nor did I feel like I was spending too much time in the car. The pace was perfect. The ride was made even more pleasant by John's commentary. He is both immensely knowledgeable about the history of the country but also injects humor and levity to the tales he tells as you progress through the day.

During our conversation I mentioned that my ancestry could be traced to a regional Clan. On our way back to our hotel for the evening he took us on a special detour so we could visit my ancestral lands and check out what is left of one of the Castles that once belonged to them. That kind of attention to detail and willingness to go above and beyond made the trip even more special than it already was. That's just how John is. Gracious, thoughtful, and always thinking of ways to improve your experience.

Skye itself is too beautiful for words and pictures really don't do it justice. Its something you must experience in person. We ate delicious lunch at a wonderful pub in Portree on Skye and had the opportunity to explore the town and shops and had the opportunity to take some incredible photos.

At the end of the day I felt like we had not just taken a tour, but had really connected with the countryside, understood the history in a way a textbook could explain, and and made a friend for life in John.

Do yourself a favor and don't miss this experience. It was truly a trip of a life time.

1  Thank Traeliz

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My mother, sister and I went on a one day tour to the Isle of Skye with John back in April.
He picked us up at our B&B, and set us all at ease from the start. It was a glorious, sunny day at Skye and the scenery was amazingly beautiful. John made the day all the more fun and enjoyable. He's very knowledgeable about the history, culture, economy (and about everything, really) and very easy to talk to. He is the best possible person to have as a guide. Knowing that it was our first time visiting UK, he even gave us tips and pointers about the rest of our destinations.
I highly recommend Hebridean Explorer to anyone wishing to explore the Highlands.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

John picked up the four of us at the Mercure hotel. His car is comfortable and he is affable. We first drove to the battle field of Culloden where we visited the museum and the site. The building there is in harmony with the environment. Then we drove to small villages along the way to the ancient site of burial grounds from 4000 years ago Clava Cairns. We toured Urquhart Castle and Loch Ness. For me a special place was the Rogie Falls. Be sure to bring your camera. John returned us to our hotel around 5:00pm. He brought the trips alive with his active commentary and insite.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We booked a trip with John to visit Culledon battlefields, Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle, Rogie Falls, Clava Cairns and Beauly Priory. John also took us thru the countryside. His knowledge and local information was outstanding. Our trip was about 8 hrs in duration. He did a wonderful job and I recommend him very much.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

John was an excellent guide who was professional, flexible and fun. He was knowledgeable about Scottish history, culture and of course whiskey. My two friends and I enjoyed this trip a great deal and would recommend it without reservation. A brilliant day!