“Inverness Day tour to the Orkneys”

Inverness Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Discover the city of Inverness. Step back in time to understand the dynamic history and rich culture hidden our streets. Come on a journey and delve into our unique folklore, prophecies, curses and tales. Understand the stories behind Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Discover the true hidden stories of rebellions, the Jacobites, the Clans and our traditions.
Toronto, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Inverness Day tour to the Orkneys”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We spent just under 2 weeks in Scotland and the day I was looking forward to the most turned out to be perfect. We took the day trip from Inverness to the Orkneys and it did not disappoint. Catching the bus at the Inverness bus station we had the most beautiful views as we drove through the Highlands towards John O Groats. Small towns and the view of the ocean kept me and my camera very busy. Once at the ferry landing we had to wait maybe fifteen minutes before the ferry landed. The weather we had was exceptional, sun, sun and more sun. So crossing to the islands was smooth.
Once on the islands we boarded another coach and sat back and listened to our bus driver talk about the history of the area it was so interesting. There is a lot to see but so worth the day. You stop in Kirkwall for a bit of a walk and to grab something to eat. Scara Brae was my favorite of all. Unfortunately the lovely sun we had earlier had left us and the rain came in but it seemed fitting for the area.
One thing though when the bus driver says be back to the bus at a certain time you must listen to him. On our tour there was this one lady that took her sweet time getting back at Scara Brae and we ended up not being able to stop at a sight because we had to get back before the last ferry of the night left us on the island.
We ended the tour with a visit to the Italian Chapel. Wow this place is breathtaking, built by Italian prisoners of war it will really impress you. The whole tour takes the whole day and we didn't get back to Inverness until about 7 that night but wow the things you get to see. I would highly recommend it to anyone staying in Inverness for a couple of days. Take one and check out the Orkneys you will be glad you did.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank TL H

• Hebrew first
Wallingford, Connecticut
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Tour tailored to us”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

John was a wonderful tour guide. His knowledge of the area and history was immense. He really had great suggestions on what to see locally. It really was such a treat for my husband and I to get our own personal tour guide for a day. I was so glad that we had decided to do it and it was completely worth the money. We packed in quite a few tour sites in a short period of time.

1 Thank Ril1975
oc, ca
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Inverness Day Tours A+”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Definitely deserves the 2014 Excellence Award. Quick to respond to all my inquires and helped plan my day. Our guide was John and I will take credit in picking him. He was great. So knowledgeable, passionate about Scotland and very entertaining. He made the Culloden Battlefield come alive. We could see the battle in our minds. Loved it despite the pouring rain. Poor John was soaking wet, yet carried on. Also went to Cawdor Castle, Clava Cairns, Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle, . That was impressive when the curtains were drawn after seeing the the film on the history of the castle. Inverness Tours is well represented by our guide, John. A wonderful full day, even made it back to the cruise ship on time after all that.

Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Two excellent 1/2 day tours with George Munro and Laura Moon”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I don’t usually take the time to write reviews but knew that I had to in this case because it was actually this trip advisor tool that help my family and I stumble on to two wonderful tour guides George Munro and Laura Moon and the Inverness Day tour experience. We were taking our first trip to Inverness Scotland and we were not sure how we would manage to be able to see some of the incredible sites in this part of the country. We are a family of four John, Carolyn, Sean and Connor my boys were ages 16 and 12. After doing some research we discovered the Inverness tours web site and after reviewing Trip Advisor felt that they had the most to offer and a lot of flexibility. We booked two 1/2 day tours, first out with George to see Culloden battle field and Fort George with a surprise visit to Clava Cairnes than on the second day with Laura to see Loch Ness and Urqhart Castle. During both tours George and Laura made us feel both at home with them as they provided excellent information as we drove along the tours. We can’t say enough how much we enjoyed the tour!!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank John W
Aberdeen
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“Beautiful Glen Affric”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A group of 4 of us had a great day up in Invermess, the main part of which was a trip out to Glen Affric with Ian from Inverness Tours. Glen Affric was beautiful (the bluebells were out) and Ian's help in setting up the whole day (we started with a Jacobite Cruise from Clansman Harbour to Castle Urquhart from where Ian picked us up) meant we achieved more than we had anticipated. The staff at Inverness Tours go out of their way to fine tune any trip to your wishes, so nothing is set in tablets of stone. Ian was very informative and his car extremely comfortable. Highly recommended.

1 Thank Barbara41