“Book with the best!”

Inverness Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Discover the city of Inverness. Step back in time to understand the dynamic history and rich culture hidden our streets. Come on a journey and delve into our unique folklore, prophecies, curses and tales. Understand the stories behind Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. Discover the true hidden stories of rebellions, the Jacobites, the Clans and our traditions.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We went on a private Outlander tour with Hugh Allison in August/14.. He is a gracious and knowledgeable guide, tailoring the tour to our interests as we went along. We are not typically "tour" people, as we normally travel and explore on our own. However, after reading reviews and being Diana Gabaldon fans, we took our chances with Hugh. It was fun, interesting, and action-packed. Highly recommended!

2  Thank GarryS1972
Hugh A, Owner at Inverness Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2015

Thank you Garry.
Loved the review - particularly the term "action-packed". Makes me feel like the Rambo of tour guiding!
Seriously - I had a great time showing you guys around the Highlands.
Hope to see you again some day.

There are newer reviews for Inverness Day Tours

Reviewed 5 August 2014

This would be the second time we were blessed to be guided by this group. Last fall we took an extended trip throughout the Highlands exploring our Mackenzie heritage with Hugh Allison and it was simply amazing. We returned in May, this time on a cruise ship. Our guide was John MacKellaich and we were fortunate to have him. His knowledge and timing to give us the most for our one day on shore was fabulous! And, as he was married to a Mackenzie, he understood so much about us already (grin). John - thank you. Outstanding!

This company is rated well for a reason. The guides know their country and their history. You'll have no regrets.

Pat & Gary
Agoura Hills, California

1  Thank mackenpg

Thank you Pat and Gary.
I am glad John did you proud.
He's a great guide - and as you pointed out, has his own Mackenzie connection.
We hope to uncover more Mackenzie sites for the next time you visit. :-)

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Visited the Highlands in May with my family (staying in Inverness). Company was very helpful during the planning process. We booked a half day Loch Ness tour and whole day Isle of Skye tour with Ian. Ended up taking the Loch Ness tour but changed the Isle of Skye tour to a shorter half day Culloden and Cawdor Castle tour due to a family member's health. Even though changed last minute, Ian was incredibly flexible and provided excellent tours on both days. He has an incredible breadth of knowledge about the region, its history (especially military history), and local fauna and flora. His car was very comfortable and enabled great views of the countryside. I am an experienced traveler, but if you're looking for a low stress way to see the Highlands with perspective you probably couldn't get on your own, I would highly recommend Inverness Day Tours (especially Ian).

Thank you Paul.
Ian is great, isn't he.
I am pleased that you had two such successful days.
We hope to see you again some day.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My family and I are from Sydney and were interested in learning more about of our Scottish family history and the history of Scotland generally.

We were lucky to have Laura as our Tour Guide. Laura was a very patient, flexible and laid back host. Just what we wanted on holidays !

We learned about Scottish history, a few truths, tales and myths all whilst having a great laugh.

Our only regret was that a day didn't seem long enough.

Thanks Laura.

Cheers

Andy, Sarah, Frances and Bill

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I took an all day Outlander tour with Hugh Allison and it was just fantastic! From the very beginning, I knew it would be an amazing experience. I was picked up outside my B&B and greeted warmly by Hugh and two other guests who were on the tour. We picked up the last four and quickly got underway. Hugh is a WEALTH of information on all things Scotland, the Highlands, and Outlander. He is the quintessential Scot, even wearing a kilt and a sporen. Everything went so smoothly and he catered to whatever we preferred to do while still following the tour. Although we didn't all know each other beforehand, our small group got on very well and everyone was so kind. The air conditioned van was so comfortable and safe. I learned SO much and I'll never forget the tour. I actually would like to take another tour in the future when I return to Inverness. Highly recommended!!