“A warm Highland Welcome”

Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Inverness
Calasparra, Spain
“A warm Highland Welcome”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My hubby and I have just returned from a four night stay at the Loch Ness Country House Hotel and It was pure bliss.

I unexpectedly found myself in a wheelchair for my stay and the staff were amazingly helpful and accomodating in finding me a ground floor room for my stay and what a room.

We stayed in Room 8 which was a junior suite. It was filled with a huge sumptuous bed and very tasteful pieces of antique furniture. It consisted of a very well proportioned bedroom, a small sunny sitting room and a marble bathroom with bath, shower, loo and bidet. There was always lashings of hot water and the bath was an incredibly fast fill.

Nothing was too much for the staff. I requested some honey for my tea and it was brought to be in a jiffy with a smile.

We had a wonderful lunch in the lounge when we first arrived which was a fabulous Steak Sandwich which just melted in the mouth and a cheese board filled with local cheeses and chutney and a small pot of honey.

The breakfasts were served with a smile and were a wonderful start to the day. There was so much to choose from with cereals, porridge, haggis, eggs, bacon and kippers and just so much more. Fantastic coffee and a pot of tea if you wanted it too.

We dined at the hotel for two nights of our stay and the chef very kindly made some soup which was not on the menu for me as I was unable to eat much more. It was delicious and went incredibly well with his home made walnut bread and honey butter. My hubby found the food a little "pretentious" and would have preferred to have had real brussels sprouts in place of the brussel sprout puree which was served with the meal on our last evening in December.

Overall, a truly magical experience that I would recommend to anyone who likes comfort and homeliness.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shortcakes039
LNCHH, General Manager at Loch Ness Country House Hotel at Dunain Park, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Thank you for taking to time to review the hotel. I am delighted to read your kind comments - we try to give all our guests a great experience in a friendly manner. It was very nice to meet you both, we hope you will be back at some point in the future.

Kind Regards
Arran

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Sussex
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I feel I need to share my experience as it differs so much from other reviews here. The hotel is located well and easy to find. Inverness is a lovely town - I could live there. The hotel was friendly but a bit liek Fawlty Towers. My room (which was supposed to be a Junior Suite but seemed to be the next rung down) was cold and dark until the low-energy bulbs warmed up. The place has had a lick of paint and nice linens, which is nice. But the bathroom had a big brown stain all the way from the towel rail along the floor to another corner of the room. This has to be replaced. But that night, I noticed the radiators were both only hot at the very tops. The room was big and had two outside walls which were very cold to the touch (Inverness gets cold at night in Autumn). Therefore the room felt very cold. The radiators needed bleeeding, which I note another reviewer has pointed out a few days previously. Anyway, so the following morning (having slept poorly due to the room and bed being seriously cold - and I am someone who likes a cold room normally), I realised the brown stain in the bathroom was wet and it turns out the radiator is leaking. It has clearly been doing so for days or weeks as the stain is very much permanent. This explains the cold radiators. This is inexcusable. Breakfast was OK. The hotel staff were friendly, the location is lovely, but the hotel has clearly been given a cosmetic makeover without actually fixing more major issues. Basically looks good in photos but not a very good hotel. I won't return. Sorry.

Room Tip: Don't choose Avon - it is large but cold.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank InmateSussex
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for one night after being transferred from The Lochness Clansman due to the hotel being quiet. Found the hotel to be quiet and relaxing. Staff were excellent and very professional.However the radiators need to bled as they were cold at the top and warm at the bottom. Bedroom was spacious and well stocked tv,safe,fridge,ironing board,hairdrier and an excellent tea & coffee facilities.All cleverly located within the wardrobe. The dinner was excellent as was breakfast. We would stay here again but in warmer weather as we found the room to be chilly.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden excellent
1 Thank odonnell67
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed here for four nights in November. The hotel is in a good location, mid way between Inverness and Loch Ness, which makes it great for exploring the local area. It is well sign posted and easy to find but you will need a car to make the most of your stay.

The house itself is magnificent and set in extremely beautiful grounds. It is cosy inside and has a great ambience - exactly what we were looking for when we booked our stay. The staff are very friendly and welcoming. They were always happy to help when we had any questions or requests. In particular they were very knowledgeable about the food being served which we appreciated a lot.

We stayed in a junior suite which was large, clean and pleasantly decorated. If I am being picky there were a few issues with it:

- A cracked sink in the bathroom (a cosmetic problem but I recall it being mentioned in previous reviews here).
- The shower would leave a pool of water on the floor unless you were careful.
- The room was on the ground floor and one of the window locks was broken (not that we left anything valuable in the room or felt unsafe because of this but still).
- The radiator in the bedroom didn't work (fortunately there were radiators in the bathroom and living room still so we weren't cold).

The staff did attempt to fix the radiator after we mentioned it but were unsuccessful while we were there. I suppose this is the only real criticism of the hotel - some of the decor, fixtures and fittings are a bit tired now and could do with replacing or fixing. None of this impacted on our enjoyment though and I am only mentioning it for completeness.

Over the course of our stay we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel. All of the meals were superb with dinner being a particular highlight. The staff were well able to accommodate extra requests for meals including any changes to the menu we asked for. The food itself was outstanding. We saw many non-residents of the hotel arrive for lunch and dinner - and we understand why.

It was very pleasant to spend time both in our room and in the two lounges available - especially when the log fire was lit. The staff struck just the right balance between giving us privacy and being attentive.

If we return to the Highlands for another break we would be very tempted to stay here again and would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone else.

2 Thank Blefuscu
Lake District England
Reviewed 25 November 2011

This hotel is well located just a few miles from the centre of Inverness. Standing in its own grounds it is quiet and has good parking areas. There is a lovely decked area overlooking the garden which unfortunately we didn't get to walk around due to the poor weather. Bedroom spacious and well stocked with tv and dvd and kettle, tea etc. Bed was very comfortable and linen of good quality and very clean. The radiator in bedroom needs bleeding as it wasn't warming right through as it should. Bathroom well stocked and powerful shower. Public lounge was transformed into very cosy once the fire was lit. Staff helpful but if you are having a gin and tonic ask for tonic to be served separately as mine was put into large glass and drowned. THE FOOD WAS FANTASTIC - halibut was the best ever. Would definitely return.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We stayed here for two nights and found all staff to be helpful and friendly whilst maintaining a high level of professionalism. The room was equipped to a very high standard and spotlessly clean. The food was excellent and the service first rate. We will definitely be back for another visit.

2 Thank Andrea186487
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I took my partner, and three daughters for dinner and what a wonderful experience.

The staff were friendly and very accommodating, especially with my two youngest daughters who are seven and four.

My oldest daughter, my partner and I were able to relax while the children played in the beautiful gardens both before and after eating.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful and even went as far as taking the children in to the marquee that was being set up for a wedding the following day to show them.
I came through only to find the children dancing around the venue.

The children constantly ask if they can go back and unbeknown to them my partner and I have been back twice - hope the children don't read this review in years to come!

If you are looking for a place to eat, then look no further and we look forward to experiencing an overnight stay even though we live only three miles away from it.

The food itself was fantastic and I would go as far as saying the only time I have had food as good as the night we ate there with the children was in fact the other two occasions that we ate there without the children.

Slightly reluctant to write such a good review because it could mean we struggle to get a table due to popular demand.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family